Creative Unveils Sound Blaster with RGB Lighting

Two things I don't really care about, wrapped into one. How can I not buy this? /s

Don't understand why roll back the days back to a sound card.. the new direction of X7 / portable DAC, sound bar is good enough instead of coming back to sound card.
Those who care won't buy, those who don't care won't know the difference.

A cheaper version of X7 with RGB will be good product, good enough to drive my Ether Flow and Q Acoustics speakers.

Don't understand why roll back the days back to a sound card.. the new direction of X7 / portable DAC, sound bar is good enough instead of coming back to sound card.
Those who care won't buy, those who don't care won't know the difference.

A cheaper version of X7 with RGB will be good product, good enough to drive my Ether Flow and Q Acoustics speakers.

Ya, I much prefer an external DAC to an internal sound card. Means I can not only use it on my desktop, but also on my laptop, tablet, or even my phone.

Ya, I much prefer an external DAC to an internal sound card. Means I can not only use it on my desktop, but also on my laptop, tablet, or even my phone.

I still have my ASUS Strix Raid DLX sitting in my closet as a backup; it is actually quite a good setup (not too far removed from the X7 LE in terms of sound quality) -- I took it out of my rig due to electrical noise/feedback, but was wondering if a newer rig would "cure" those issues (since my current rig's cpu/mobo were already showing their age back when I installed the DLX).

I still have my ASUS Strix Raid DLX sitting in my closet as a backup; it is actually quite a good setup (not too far removed from the X7 LE in terms of sound quality) -- I took it out of my rig due to electrical noise/feedback, but was wondering if a newer rig would "cure" those issues (since my current rig's cpu/mobo were already showing their age back when I installed the DLX).

Could always pop it in and see how it works. Not sure if it'd be worse or better on today's mobos, compared to ones from years ago. My last sound card was an Audigy 2 ZS, so can't even use it today, since it was just PCI.

I am still not sure if Creative's X7 is the best way to go for a stereo and headphone dac+amp.
Frankly, Creative's whole software gimmicks are only supported for maybe 1-2 years and then Creative never bothers to update, and we all know what happens to fan-made drivers in the past.

I've stayed away from Creative sound cards since the Audigy because of their whole stance on drivers, never mind the inherent SNR and inflexible nature of sound cards.

Creative's whole software gimmicks are only supported for maybe 1-2 years and then Creative never bothers to update, and we all know what happens to fan-made drivers in the past.

I've stayed away from Creative sound cards since the Audigy because of their whole stance on drivers, never mind the inherent SNR and inflexible nature of sound cards.

Absolutely, I've got a ZxR, so not exactly a throwaway and the software is exactly the same as it was at release. Shit then, shit now.

I'm looking at getting an Oppo Sonica or similar (something with USB and network streaming) later on in the year because I'm just 'over' it. The speaker / headphone switch being in software just drives me crazy.

I actually always look into sound cards because i hate having a DAC taking up desk space / hanging under the desk. If i wanted a DAC for my laptop or other device i'll just get another one. There is a reason why I have monitor arms because i love free deskspace not desk clutter. It just looks cleaner to me, ofc i've always liked the minimal look for my computer's love that performance SFF PCs has been growing in popularity the past couple years. Which is probably why i still spend way too much money just to try out the fancier on-board audio solutions in high end microatx/mini-itx boards.

I actually always look into sound cards because i hate having a DAC taking up desk space / hanging under the desk. If i wanted a DAC for my laptop or other device i'll just get another one. There is a reason why I have monitor arms because i love free deskspace not desk clutter. It just looks cleaner to me, ofc i've always liked the minimal look for my computer's love that performance SFF PCs has been growing in popularity the past couple years. Which is probably why i still spend way too much money just to try out the fancier on-board audio solutions in high end microatx/mini-itx boards.

But going with sound card has serious disadvantages.

1. Your output options are mostly minijack. No XLR typically, no 1/4" at times, and you can't use passive speakers.
2. SNR
3. You still may need amplification if you are driving 300 ohm cans.

If you don't need any of that, then I think a sound out with a convenient headphone out port would be fine and dandy.

Why I have a second smaller desk to put my desktop, external DAC, external bdrw, and so forth on. I'm actually looking to change my setup. 2 Whitmor Supreme 5 tier shelves with an Ikea table top going across them and make a bracket to hold them in place. Add some plexiglass to cover the metal grating shelves. Then I have can have most everything off my desk, while having the shelving to place other things. I'd angle the shelves at like 45 degrees, so it's more open and not like I'm in a cubicle.

I have a sound blaster z and drivers are not an issue at all. Haven´t had a single problem with them, and they get updated with some frequency (last update was in march of this year). I´m using Windows 10 x64.

Back