Creative Sound Blaster Z Retail - $64.99

So would this card + Asus Hero be better than just getting an Asus Formula VI with the headphone amp?

I currently use a PCI XFI extreme gamer, but new MB will not have a PCI slot. I have also never had the mic autodetection work so I always have to manually switch which is really annoying.

Picked one up from Amazon. If I'm not impressed with the difference in BF4 it's going right back.

Last edited:
Damn My PCIE x1 slot is filled by my wireless card.. I'd have to install this bugger in the very bottom x16 slot.

I don't think I've ever been able to use a PCIEx1 slot. They're pretty much always obstructed by something.

You could get one of those thumbnail USB WIFI adapters if you wanted to free up that slot though.

In for one. Apparently the OEM is exactly the same as this card minus the shield and the LEDs. Is there an option to disable those LEDs? I guess I could desolder them but I don't want to void the warranty so soon.

So would this card + Asus Hero be better than just getting an Asus Formula VI with the headphone amp?

I currently use a PCI XFI extreme gamer, but new MB will not have a PCI slot. I have also never had the mic autodetection work so I always have to manually switch which is really annoying.

I'd imagine that the Hero + Z would be functionally equivalent and allow you to carry the sound card forward to your next system.

If you want a specific feature of the Formula VI I'd just go for that and not use a dedicated card.

I haven't heard the Asus motherboard personally, so my opinion is just conjecture and shouldn't be relied upon. :cool:

I don't think I've ever been able to use a PCIEx1 slot. They're pretty much always obstructed by something.

You could get one of those thumbnail USB WIFI adapters if you wanted to free up that slot though.

I'm going to leave the wifi adapter in the top 1x slot. I have another 1x below my #1 PCIE x16 slot but that would obstruct GPU airflow, this little bugger is going in the very bottom x16 slot.

Definitely not switching my wireless adapter card out. Getting 100+ Mbps with the router about 100 feet away in the basement and I'm on the 2nd floor!

Last time I had a dedicated sound card was about 6 years ago. Here's to hoping there is a significant difference!

Would this be a good upgrade over the internal soundcard that's on the Asus Hero? This is a ROG MOBO and doesn't use realtek. I plan on adding some bowers and wilkins floor standing speakers in the future and want to get the best sound possible and removing the weakest link in the sound system.

Would this be a good upgrade over the internal soundcard that's on the Asus Hero? This is a ROG MOBO and doesn't use realtek. I plan on adding some bowers and wilkins floor standing speakers in the future and want to get the best sound possible and removing the weakest link in the sound system.

Thats my question above too, Better than the Hero? What about the formula (has better sound than the hero even)?

Thats my question above too, Better than the Hero? What about the formula (has better sound than the hero even)?

It is definitely better than those onboard solutions. While they are better than the standard Realtek chips they can't match a good sound card.

I'm wondering if this thing will have the same problem as my X-Fi Titanium in Windows 8.1 where it shuts off audio every time I reboot the computer so I have to go in the control panel and change to a different mode to get it back.

It is definitely better than those onboard solutions. While they are better than the standard Realtek chips they can't match a good sound card.

I'm wondering if this thing will have the same problem as my X-Fi Titanium in Windows 8.1 where it shuts off audio every time I reboot the computer so I have to go in the control panel and change to a different mode to get it back.

Yea I'm skeptical on getting another creative card myself. They work well when working though, just too many software and driver issues.

I'm on 8.1 and don't have this issue. That said, I don't believe they have put out 8.1 drivers, but the current ones seem to work fine.

So the front panel connector hooked up and auto detect causes some retarded audio feedback that sounds like it's in a tanker on the headphones. If I leave it on to where it doesn't auto select I don't hear anything but front two channels obviously which is the same problem I had with the Y adapter in the back. Now if I switch the audio selection from 5.1 to headphones (annoying as $#$@) I still have the audio issues. Should I be using the HD audio instead of AC97 connection from my front I/O to the Fatal1ty? Maybe that is the problem.

If that isn't where I went wrong I guess I'll pull the trigger on a new sound card and pass my beloved Fatal1ty onto someone else since I don't have a need for the upbeat audio on my daily desktop for just mucking around watching tv shows. Everything else get's watched on the big screen.

Damn it! I just bought this card 3 days ago for 80 bucks from Amazon. Wounder if they will pricematch themselfs?

Yes they will especially within the 7 day time frame. This happened to me when I ordered a LCD from Amazon recently and got the difference credited back to my CC. Just open a concern with them.

Went ahead and ordered one. Any recommendations on speakers? I currently have a set of 10+ year old Cambridge SoundWorks.

Went ahead and said hell with it. Tired of messing with things and sounds as if this card is much better then my Fatal1ty + it looks like it will match the chrome red on my Maximus V Formy and my Ripjaws X lol

1 x ($64.99) Creative Sound Blaster Z 70SB150000000 5.1 Channel
$64.99

1 x ($-3.25) DISCOUNT FOR PROMOTION CODE
$-3.25

Subtotal: $61.74
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Total Amount: $61.74

Granted I couldn't get shoprunner to show up on the mobile app not that Newegg gets it here in 2 days anyway.

Went ahead and said hell with it. Tired of messing with things and sounds as if this card is much better then my Fatal1ty + it looks like it will match the chrome red on my Maximus V Formy and my Ripjaws X lol

1 x ($64.99) Creative Sound Blaster Z 70SB150000000 5.1 Channel
$64.99

1 x ($-3.25) DISCOUNT FOR PROMOTION CODE
$-3.25

Subtotal: $61.74
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Total Amount: $61.74

Granted I couldn't get shoprunner to show up on the mobile app not that Newegg gets it here in 2 days anyway.

Wtf promotion code!! I bought off Amazon and paid sales tax!

what promo code did you use?

currently have this in my cart and wondering how much of an upgrade it would be for me. right now i'm using a xonar dgx on uni drivers and audio technica ad700.

Great deal. Have had one of these for a couple months now and very pleased. I have had many soundcards in the past as well as DIY DACs and amps and this is by far the best combo for the money if you are on a PC. Drives my HD580s very well.

Will it make a huge difference if I buy some premium floor standing speakers? It looks like these cards do RCA and optical but no HDMI? What gives? I was planning on hooking up the speakers to a receiver and then the receiver to the sound card.

Went ahead and ordered one. Any recommendations on speakers? I currently have a set of 10+ year old Cambridge SoundWorks.

im using 10 year old Logitech z-5500, and with them paired with the 'Z" card, they rattle my windows when playing bf4. best speakers ive ever used for a pc.

Wtf promotion code!! I bought off Amazon and paid sales tax!

5% off for mobile app purchase.

MBLEMCRTS5

You get stuck with using super saver shipping instead of Shop Runner because there is no way to sign into shop runner via Newegg App. Although if you use the Shoprunner app and try to purchase it through there via newegg you can't input the code and you get charged tax. LOL win loose I guess.

I took the super saver as it never seems to freaking ship for 2 days after with shoprunner anyway so therefore it comes the same time as it would with super saver shipping. :rolleyes:

im using 10 year old Logitech z-5500, and with them paired with the 'Z" card, they rattle my windows when playing bf4. best speakers ive ever used for a pc.

z-5300 here and can't ask for anything better. :cool: I piss the neighbor off when I'm listening to music and you can park a car between our house and the side of theirs. Then there is their garage that is in the way before their house too. Oh don't forget flower beds on each lot right up against the houses also. LOL :D

Although I should add I'm currently using the X-Fi Fatal1ty card with the black casing not this Z card. Others have said the quality is better on the Z then the Fatal1ty. Will see I suppose when mine gets here.

Will it make a huge difference if I buy some premium floor standing speakers? It looks like these cards do RCA and optical but no HDMI? What gives? I was planning on hooking up the speakers to a receiver and then the receiver to the sound card.

If you're going to use a receiver, I wouldn't be too concerned about the sound card.

Just run optical from the motherboard to your receiver. Or use a video card and send sound over HDMI that way.

Eh...went for it, why not. Not having to swap a headphone cable constantly will be nice.

If you're going to use a receiver, I wouldn't be too concerned about the sound card.

Just run optical from the motherboard to your receiver. Or use a video card and send sound over HDMI that way.

What he said..IF you are going to use a decent midrange or better receiver, then just use an optical/Coaxial digital output from the onboard to the receiver..Even if you have a dedicated soundcard, the receiver's DSPs/amp are going to be doing all the work..The Realtek 1150's have a pretty decent SnR ratio, it's just that they are in a different league then a dedicated card that has it's own quadcore ARM CPU and dedicated amp (for headphones)..

As far as the software, I haven't had a single issue in any game or movie..I listen to Pandora One streaming every day via 'phones and the onboard amp does a great job..I had to play around with some of the adjustments since I didn't like the default bass control..I couldn't dial it in regardless of the level, so I disabled it and the sound is much better then with it on..

For what's it worth, I am used to using/tuning some high end audio gear, although it was in a car environment..I used to compete professionally in SQ and SQL competitions, so I know what a proper soundstage etc should sound like..

I have a dell xps 8300 would I even have room to use this card, the onboard sound is not great and it is ruining my experience with my Promedia Ultra 5.1. I have to reverse my middle and sub every time I play a movie and it is driving me crazy.

I have a dell xps 8300 would I even have room to use this card, the onboard sound is not great and it is ruining my experience with my Promedia Ultra 5.1. I have to reverse my middle and sub every time I play a movie and it is driving me crazy.

It should fit without issue.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-prod...xps_desktop/xps-8300_service manual_en-us.pdf

Looks like you have one PCIE 16x slot and three 1x slots, so even if you're using a double slot graphics card, two of the 1x slots will be available.

The only PCI Express slot I can use on my old asus m4a78 pro board is above the video card.

It looks like it should fit.

Are these cards ok to run above a video card, ie heat issues?

I have a crappy Sony receiver and a 5.1 setup hooked with Toslink. Am I going to hear much difference with this than onboard with my Asus Rampage IV Extreme?

I have a crappy Sony receiver and a 5.1 setup hooked with Toslink. Am I going to hear much difference with this than onboard with my Asus Rampage IV Extreme?

I would assume my Maximus V Formy onboard sound is better then yours and it sounds like a$$ compared to my Fatal1ty that I'm going to replace with the Z so I would say bite while it's still available that or buy my Fatal1ty from me. :D

I would assume my Maximus V Formy onboard sound is better then yours and it sounds like a$$ compared to my Fatal1ty that I'm going to replace with the Z so I would say bite while it's still available that or buy my Fatal1ty from me. :D

Yeah, but are you using analog or a digital connection? I had a Fatal1ty Pro at one point and sold it off because I didn't hear a difference between that and my onboard setup (which at the time was a X58 SLI).

Yeah, but are you using analog or a digital connection? I had a Fatal1ty Pro at one point and sold it off because I didn't hear a difference between that and my onboard setup (which at the time was a X58 SLI).

You have a point I guess. Z-5300 so no digital connection. Although I wouldn't say that from analog to digital the quality would be better over a dedicated card. With that said going digital on a dedicated card I'm sure is day and night vs your Asus onboard. I couldn't believe how terrible it sounded yesterday over my X-Fi when I tried it for the first time to see about my headphone whoes.

included. Going to move the OEM one to my HTPC (where I know it won't do any good since it's just optical out, but maybe/possibly/someday I'll hook something analog to it).

If I recall. You can set the Z to reencode over optical. It has the Dolby licensing. It's buried in the options.

I tried a few different sound cards for optical audio to my receiver. I was told for simple optical, just buy a cheap card because everyone assumes optical is untouched. In direct comparisons, the Z's ability were very impressive when you use the Dolby reencoding options. It has Dolby Digital Live and Dolby:Neo, iirc. I get much better sound quality with one of those enabled.

I'm still rocking the old 500w analog Logitech 5.1 system, in addition to headphones, so sound cards are pretty important to me. :cool:

If I recall. You can set the Z to reencode over optical. It has the Dolby licensing. It's buried in the options.

I tried a few different sound cards for optical audio to my receiver. I was told for simple optical, just buy a cheap card because everyone assumes optical is untouched. In direct comparisons, the Z's ability were very impressive when you use the Dolby reencoding options. It has Dolby Digital Live and Dolby:Neo, iirc. I get much better sound quality with one of those enabled.

I see the option that you're talking about now, I never really thought about it that way.

I've moved the HTPC into my bedroom where I'm using a sound bar that can only decode Dolby Digital, so hopefully the Dolby Digital Live the card does is compatible. :eek:

Just got the card today and installed it.

When unboxing beware of the twist-ties used to hold the card in. Hard to see from the top and I was tugging on the card for a moment before realizing it was fastened in.

My #1 issue with the card. The Red LED is BRIGHT. I have lighting in my case but as it sits on my desk I have it off all the time. The LED on this card shines through the end of the card which happens to be pointed towards my face. Sitting in my desk chair it's like someone is shining a light in my eyes.

My not so [H] solution to the red LED can be seen in the photo below. I just put a strip of electrical tape over the 3/4" tall gap at the end. I may do the same to the window on the 'top' of the card so that is puts out no light.

Alternatively, if you don't care about warranty you can remove the metal cover and cut/de-solder the led off the board which I read bout people doing.

I'm about to boot up some BF4 for testing (Sennheiser PC 360 headset) so hopefully the difference is noticeable.

6AjKtUkl.jpg

I got mine in today too. Question: Do you have to enable the headphone amp or is it just always being amplified? I ask because it says it can support 600ohm headphones, but mine are 80ohm.

Back