Creative Sound Blaster Z Retail - $64.99

jolli

Gawd
Creative Sound Blaster Z - DEAL IS DEAD

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blas...id=1384441774&sr=8-1&keywords=sound+blaster+z

Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102048

I've been fairly impressed with my OEM version of this sound card. So impressed, that I've actually just ordered another one since this is the retail version with the microphone included. Going to move the OEM one to my HTPC (where I know it won't do any good since it's just optical out, but maybe/possibly/someday I'll hook something analog to it).

It sounds much better on my headphones than the onboard Realtek 1150.

It's been on Slickdeals since last night, but finally started gaining some traction this morning.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
great deal here. if i wasn't so enamored with my Titanium HD i'd snatch this up.

Holy hell This looks like what I need instead of a new headset. Currently have the X-Fi Fatal1ty (Black casing with light up X-Fi) card that doesn't have an independant headphone jack so I have a splitter hooked up to what would be the green terminal and in many games I either don't hear talking or I have to turn to hear the talking.

Take Fear 3 for instance. Didn't hear the talking during a cut scene one unless I turned on my surround sound speakers during.

Holy hell This looks like what I need instead of a new headset. Currently have the X-Fi Fatal1ty (Black casing with light up X-Fi) card that doesn't have an independant headphone jack so I have a splitter hooked up to what would be the green terminal and in many games I either don't hear talking or I have to turn to hear the talking.

Take Fear 3 for instance. Didn't hear the talking during a cut scene one unless I turned on my surround sound speakers during.

It is quite convenient to be able to switch between speakers and headphones at the click of a button.

i went to this card a couple months ago. upgraded from the x-fi titanium fatality, and im really pleased with it. the new software is easier to use as well.

i went to this card a couple months ago. upgraded from the x-fi titanium fatality, and im really pleased with it. the new software is easier to use as well.

+1

Can't believe this card is already at $65. I bought it at $90. Great card, and yes the software is very easy to use.

Much better than the old crap Creative software/drivers they used to put out.

Would it be worth upgrading from a X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro? Is the dedicated headphone jack + built in amp worth it?

It took me forever to get my existing card to be happy with 3rd party drivers, I'm not sure I'm eager to stir the pot.

i bought one myself yesterday. surprised it didnt get much attention. lowest price it has ever been.

It is quite convenient to be able to switch between speakers and headphones at the click of a button.

Wait a sec you still have to muck around to get the headphones/mic to work each time?
No company has become smart enough to make everything work independently:

I either want my surround sound on or I want to turn it off and use my headphones without messing with anything. That is the way it should be. Are you saying something still has to be done to make it work like I'm saying? If that's the case why have a dedicated connection for headphones?

Well if you want to use speakers you click the speaker in the Creative control panel, and if you want to use headphones you just click headphones.

You don't have to unplug anything.

Well if you want to use speakers you click the speaker in the Creative control panel, and if you want to use headphones you just click headphones.

You don't have to unplug anything.

I wouldn't think so but that is still kinda lame. Debating pulling the trigger now on this or a surround set of headphones. Headphones are cheaper and my pci-e Fatal1ty Pro works just fine as it is. This soundcard can't be that much better to really justify the cost/still an annoyance to use headphones non logically.

The old days (and still today if you don't use a mic) you plug the damn headset into the speakers it cuts off the speakers and viola your up and running. You should be able to just pick up your headset if the speakers are off/on and start doing what ever. Especially with a dedicated plug for headphones now. I'm just not seeing how with tech companies haven't thought logically. Or maybe that's the problem no one things logically the designs this stuff overseas. Freak'in Chinese! LOL

Oh yea so ultimately your still clicking twice if not more to get the control panel open then to tick the button or what ever to switch. LOL Nonsense

So $65 for a soundcard when mine works just fine or $35 for G35 headset that will plug into my usb port in front and stay there all the time and just go on my head and be used when I want without the hassle. Still torn here since I really like my Gamecon headset with upgraded speakers.

I wouldn't think so but that is still kinda lame. Debating pulling the trigger now on this or a surround set of headphones. Headphones are cheaper and my pci-e Fatal1ty Pro works just fine as it is. This soundcard can't be that much better to really justify the cost/still an annoyance to use headphones non logically.

The old days (and still today if you don't use a mic) you plug the damn headset into the speakers it cuts off the speakers and viola your up and running. You should be able to just pick up your headset if the speakers are off/on and start doing what ever. Especially with a dedicated plug for headphones now. I'm just not seeing how with tech companies haven't thought logically. Or maybe that's the problem no one things logically the designs this stuff overseas. Freak'in Chinese! LOL

Oh yea so ultimately your still clicking twice if not more to get the control panel open then to tick the button or what ever to switch. LOL Nonsense

So $65 for a soundcard when mine works just fine or $35 for G35 headset that will plug into my usb port in front and stay there all the time and just go on my head and be used when I want without the hassle. Still torn here since I really like my Gamecon headset with upgraded speakers.
I'd be surprised to learn there isn't an automatic switch on headphone detection, my existing Fatal1ty already does this. I think more sources may be needed to verify.

Interesting. I find it a hassle to plug in/unplug headphones all the time. I'd much rather have the software option of doing so and keeping everything plugged in.

Its either clicking a button on a screen, or plugging in your headphones. I'd much rather have software option.

Interesting. I find it a hassle to plug in/unplug headphones all the time. I'd much rather have the software option of doing so and keeping everything plugged in.

Its either clicking a button on a screen, or plugging in your headphones. I'd much rather have software option.

My headphones stay plugged into my Cyborg which in turn connects to the back of my computer into my Fatal1ty card. (Which does have an auto detect headphones tick but doesn't work as it doesn't process all the sound to the headphones *obviously with no talking in cutscenes and having to reposition myself in the world to hear the talking clearly during game*)

I could always pull my Fatal1ty card and use the Formula's SupremeFX IV but it has the same connections as the Fatal1ty so I've never used the onboard. Maybe I'll test it out and the software works better and will actually send full signal to the headset.

You know what I'll do that right now so I don't procrastinate and pass up the soundcard deal IF I decide to pull the trigger that is.

My headphones stay plugged into my Cyborg which in turn connects to the back of my computer into my Fatal1ty card. (Which does have an auto detect headphones tick but doesn't work as it doesn't process all the sound to the headphones *obviously with no talking in cutscenes and having to reposition myself in the world to hear the talking clearly during game*)

I could always pull my Fatal1ty card and use the Formula's SupremeFX IV but it has the same connections as the Fatal1ty so I've never used the onboard. Maybe I'll test it out and the software works better and will actually send full signal to the headset.

You know what I'll do that right now so I don't procrastinate and pass up the soundcard deal IF I decide to pull the trigger that is.

Try it out and let me know. Regardless, I really do like this sound card. It is a tad bit better than my old X-Fi titanium regarding sound quality, but the software is miles better.

Damn it! I just bought this card 3 days ago for 80 bucks from Amazon. Wounder if they will pricematch themselfs?

Is this a big upgrade to the X-fi Titanium Regular? I only use a pair of pc360 for games/music.

From what I understand it is a little better but I'm not completely sold on it just yet. Seems like the better alternatives are still better (at higher cost).

Try it out and let me know. Regardless, I really do like this sound card. It is a tad bit better than my old X-Fi titanium regarding sound quality, but the software is miles better.

WTF Looking up the drives on Asus the only ones they list are Realtec? I went ahead and installed them but yea I dunno. There wasn't an audio control panel associated with this board either under utilities.

Viola no freaking sound. lol

Last edited:

If your headphones are plugged in all the time, how would it know you've plugged in your headphones and needs to switch from surround to headphone mode? If you leave them plugged in all the time why wouldn't you need to use a software switch to change listening modes? Your sound card can't detect when you put your headphones on, something has to tell it you've changed listening modes. Am I misunderstanding your statement?

Looks like if you want the one with the volume adjuster knob thingy it is $115. :\

Hmm. I'm pretty happy with my Xonar D2X, but I wonder if having a dedicated headphone jack is worth it...

WTF Looking up the drives on Asus the only ones they list are Realtec? I went ahead and installed them but yea I dunno. There wasn't an audio control panel associated with this board either under utilities.

Viola no freaking sound. lol

errr What?:confused::confused:..Why would you be looking for drivers for this EXCELLENT soundcard on an Asus website (of which every one blows)..

This is an excellent deal, and almost makes me wonder if Creative is going to be coming out with something new..I have the OEM version (exact same card without the little plastic cover over the PCB) and I LOVE it..I was using my trusty Asus Xonar, but when I got a new MB with all PCI-E slots, I was kinda fubar'd..I knew I wouldn't be happy with the ALC898 anymore, especially without an AMP for my 'phones...

This guy does a great job, although I will say that the rear headphone amp is much more powerful then the front..The Xonar series use a separate amp for the rear/front panel input and from all my research Creative does this as well..For some reason though, the front panel input sounds muddier and has a lower volume then the rear on the Creative..I know it isn't the port since it worked wonderfully with my Xonar..I ended up buying a $1.25 high quality 6"ft 3.5mm extension cable from MonoPrice and just use the rear input..

And reports are that the attachment degrades SQ
I recently got a new PC. In my old one I had a X-Fi xtremegamer and in my new PC I am just running onboard at the moment. To be perfectly honest, I don't hear much of a difference on this new on board sound. Back when I got my X-Fi it was a big upgrade over on board, but now is it worth it? I am using beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80ohm headphones.

errr What?:confused::confused:..Why would you be looking for drivers for this EXCELLENT soundcard on an Asus website (of which every one blows)..

This is an excellent deal, and almost makes me wonder if Creative is going to be coming out with something new..I have the OEM version (exact same card without the little plastic cover over the PCB) and I LOVE it..I was using my trusty Asus Xonar, but when I got a new MB with all PCI-E slots, I was kinda fubar'd..I knew I wouldn't be happy with the ALC898 anymore, especially without an AMP for my 'phones...

This guy does a great job, although I will say that the rear headphone amp is much more powerful then the front..The Xonar series use a separate amp for the rear/front panel input and from all my research Creative does this as well..For some reason though, the front panel input sounds muddier and has a lower volume then the rear on the Creative..I know it isn't the port since it worked wonderfully with my Xonar..I ended up buying a $1.25 high quality 6"ft 3.5mm extension cable from MonoPrice and just use the rear input..
If you read further up I was going to disable my current X-FI to try out the onboard Formula V Extreme sound. Which now that I noticed my Y adapter SUCKS and was too big so the damn thing didn't plug in all the way (NO SOUND) I not swapped it for a cabled y instead of hard plastic and well It's a pos. The X-fi Is much better.

If your headphones are plugged in all the time, how would it know you've plugged in your headphones and needs to switch from surround to headphone mode? If you leave them plugged in all the time why wouldn't you need to use a software switch to change listening modes? Your sound card can't detect when you put your headphones on, something has to tell it you've changed listening modes. Am I misunderstanding your statement?
You know you make a good point and I guess I wasn't thinking about that.
I suppose I should dig out the cable for the front panel to my Haf932 and connect the Front audio header to my Fatal1ty and see about using the front jacks instead to see about the software noticing when the headphones are connected. :D With the Y being connected to the green port the xf-i always thought I had 5.1 connected which would explain why I never got headphone settings.

So now that the Asus onboard sucks hairy donkey ball$ compaired to my x-fi. I guess I'll do as I said above and hook the front panel up and try that out. Surely the software will sense from the front panel if the headphones are connected or not.

He was referring to his motherboard onboard -- I have the Max Formula V and use onboard -- used the latest off their site and they sound alright

http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/MAXIMUS_V_FORMULA/#support

If that's your board.
Yea I got it. It has to pick up the green connection to actually work and my hard cased Y adapter wasn't plugged in all the way fixed with a cabled y I had i the attic. SUCKS though big time. No where near as rich and clear on 5.1 as the Fatal1ty was and will be again since I'm canning the onboard drivers and switching back LOL.

Using Asus On-board audio right now with a set of Sennheiser PC 360

Adding a dedicated sound card definitely worth it? (Playing BF4)

PC 360s, not 380s.

Last edited:
Using Asus On-board audio right now with a set of Sennheiser HD 380s.

that's a tough one to answer because this always boils down to two groups: 1) people who don't hear a single iota of difference between onboard and a dedicated sound card or DAC, or 2) people who hear a significant difference between onboard and a dedicated card/DAC.

personally i hear a difference. though i think the most significant variances in sound come from Speakers/Headphone > Sound card or DAC > Source material > Level of inebriation > voodoo magic cables and whatnot.

that's a tough one to answer because this always boils down to two groups: 1) people who don't hear a single iota of difference between onboard and a dedicated sound card or DAC, or 2) people who hear a significant difference between onboard and a dedicated card/DAC.

personally i hear a difference. though i think the most significant variances in sound come from Speakers/Headphone > Sound card or DAC > Source material > Level of inebriation > voodoo magic cables and whatnot.

Hmm, I think it may be worth it for me then.

When I switched from a set of cheap turtle beach headphones to the Sennheisers it was night and day..

The only issue I can see is that my 360s have a single 3.5mm for audio (and 1 for mic). If I used a 5.1 speaker system the difference would be much more significant.

Using Asus On-board audio right now with a set of Sennheiser HD 380s.

If you aren't pushing optical to an external sound system with a fancy receiver I would say the answer is probably yes. It might depend on what on-board sound Asus is using though. If it's bare bones stuff like Realtek, definitely. If Asus is strapping one of their high end audio modules to their motherboards and charging an extra $80 for them, the answer might be completely different. I've never heard a VIA or Realtek on-board audio setup that didn't sound terribly shallow compared to dedicated audio cards.

What I want to know is does the Sound Blaster Z beat the X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro? The integrated headphone amp sounds interesting but I'm not sure it's enough to warrant a new card.

If you aren't pushing optical to an external sound system with a fancy receiver I would say the answer is probably yes. It might depend on what on-board sound Asus is using though. If it's bare bones stuff like Realtek, definitely. If Asus is strapping one of their high end audio modules to their motherboards and charging an extra $80 for them, the answer might be completely different. I've never heard a VIA or Realtek on-board audio setup that didn't sound terribly shallow compared to dedicated audio cards.

What I want to know is does the Sound Blaster Z beat the X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro? The integrated headphone amp sounds interesting but I'm not sure it's enough to warrant a new card.

According to the reviews it is.

I'm hesitant as there are a lot of reviews mentioning the shit drivers.

Last edited:
You know you make a good point and I guess I wasn't thinking about that.
I suppose I should dig out the cable for the front panel to my Haf932 and connect the Front audio header to my Fatal1ty and see about using the front jacks instead to see about the software noticing when the headphones are connected. :D With the Y being connected to the green port the xf-i always thought I had 5.1 connected which would explain why I never got headphone settings.

So now that the Asus onboard sucks hairy donkey ball$ compaired to my x-fi. I guess I'll do as I said above and hook the front panel up and try that out. Surely the software will sense from the front panel if the headphones are connected or not.

Damnit negative!

Stupid Cooler Master and their block audio connector for the front panel. Maybe Fry's has an adapter that goes from the stupid cube to the slotted style in the back of the Fatal1ty. This blows.

Scratch that. The diagram from the manual is missleading. That was a totally different connection. Testing out in a bit after I run to the dog groomers.

Last edited:

i had the same card before and this new 'Z' sounds way better to me. games, movies, are better imo. i haven't dived into the music end of it yet, so no comment on that. the software is miles better as well. it was a great investment for me. and i paid 90.00 for it 3 months ago.
drivers seem to be fine with win 8.1 .

According to the reviews it is.

I'm hesitant as there are a lot of reviews mentioning the shit drivers.

I hear the Z drivers are MUCH better than what we saw with Audigy and XFI, but even if they aren't, it appears Daniel K is releasing drivers for the Z series. Based on his track record with XFI and Audigy I wouldn't hesitate.

Creative should just hire him to make their official drivers already...

i had the same card before and this new 'Z' sounds way better to me. games, movies, are better imo. i haven't dived into the music end of it yet, so no comment on that. the software is miles better as well. it was a great investment for me. and i paid 90.00 for it 3 months ago.
drivers seem to be fine with win 8.1 .

Alright, you've convinced me... I'm in for one. Music is the thing I do least on my PC, that's what my fancy entertainment system by my TV is for.

Last edited:
Back