Creative SB Z/HD558

smaug8821

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I've been doing some "research" on upping my sound game on my PC. I currently have a set of HD558s using onboard sound. From what I've read, something like the Creative SB Z sounds like it would be good for someone who is not an audio junkie, but still wants decent quality sound. A few questions, and some background:

- I'm a headphones only user, no speakers.
- Budget is ~$100 or so.
- Used for gaming and some music.
- The music isn't super high quality, I mostly use Spotify.
- Mostly play CS:GO, surround sound isn't important at all for me.

- Am I on the right track here? Would there be something better for around the same price for what I'm using sound for?
- Is the control module that useful that it would be worth upgrading to the Zx?
- Would I need to purchase any other cables/adapters, or is the regular 3.5mm I'm using now what I should be using with the card?

Feel free to point out anything I missed as well. Thanks for the help!

Yup. Don't need anything extra. Just the card. You will get very good CS sound with this card. Aka wallhack level. Skip the control module and just get the cheapest Z you can find. I think you can find the oem version around $60?

It's $70 over your budget but the Zxr has a better headphone amp than the Z or Zx.
It has better caps in it and a audiophile level Burr/Brown DAC as well. Most people don't
start out as audio junkies but become them over time :)

I ended up going and grabbing one from MC last night on the way home. Really happy with it so far. Strikes me as odd that people say there isn't a difference between onboard and a dedicated card. The difference was clear to me right away, and I should probably do some more tweaking.

Coming from onboard/crappy gaming headset a few months ago, this is quite the improvement. We'll see how long it takes me to want to upgrade some more :)

I have the same combo now.
I opted for the ZX as I don't have my headphones plugged in all the time, and it was $99 on Amazon.
I did read that the pod degrades the sound, but it sounds fine to me and the mic sounds good for online gaming and phone calls.

Yeah, I'm a 100% headphone user on my desktop and I also read that as well, although not everyone agreed on it. I'm using the mic that comes with it and it's surprisingly good, better than the Zalman clip on I think.

If you have any tips or settings you found helped the sound a lot, let me know! I just sort of set it on the "fatal1ty" profile for now and think it sounds pretty good. Definitely need to play around with it some more.

these are the settings I have for my headphones,
SBX Pro Studio
Surround 55
Crystalizer 40
Bass is not checked

EQ
31 - 0
62 - 0
125 - 0
250 - -1
500 - 0
1k - +1
2k - +2
4k - +3
8k - +5
16k - +6
Level - +3

For my M-Audio BX5 D2 Speakers,
SBX Pro Studio
Surround 55
Crystalizer 40
Bass not check

EQ is flat

A sigh update:

I noticed what appears to be a common problem with this card, where after a bit the sound will reverse/bass will play louder in the right ear/things just sound wonky in general. Googling around a bit I haven't really found a solution, but it appears it's definitely not exclusive to me.

Anyone else experience this and have a fix?

I haven't experienced that issue.

What are you doing when that happens, and does it come and go?

It's just random. Seems to mostly happen when something new loads, IE CS:GO.

I switched the PCI-E slot that I had it in and the random problems seemed to stop, but I still noticed I got the left/right switch. That's fixable by changing the config to stereo and back to headphones, but that's a little annoying in itself.

Update in case anyone else has this problem: I *think* I was actually able to fix it after putting it in a PCI-E x8 slot and setting it on 24 bit, 48000 Hz in the Advanced tab of the Speaker Properties. I had it higher after switching the PCI-E slot, but I still got weird popping noises and sound inversion issues. It's been almost a day at this point and I have had 0 issues.

Back