Creationists Demand Equal Airtime Over Cosmos Content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last I checked Jesus Christ was not running short of broadcast outlets.

How many million Watts does the guy want?

One thing I'm certain of is there's no scientific evidence that indicates there was a divine creator.

Yet they have no idea what caused the big bang...... i.e there was nothing, and then bang the universe was created......

Well I guess all of you can thank your lucky start the fairness doctrine didn't get passed.

+1

If this had passed it would have been used by both sides to force stations to carrying a "balance" of shows. The result would have been moderate shows/bland shows that tried to not offend anyone (not possible).

Yet they have no idea what caused the big bang...... i.e there was nothing, and then bang the universe was created......

Based on current understanding of how matter works, no. That could change tomorrow or next year. The wonderful thing about science, it has mechanisms like peer review and experimental repeat-ability to correct flawed theory/understanding.

What does religion have to correct flawed understanding/theory? Oh that is right, it is infallible and always right...even when it is wrong.

The religious nuts can have time on Cosmos when they present papers proving their theory. Their silly stories poorly twisted from 30,000 year old astrology does not count.

The religious nuts can have time on Cosmos when they present papers proving their theory. Their silly stories poorly twisted from 30,000 year old astrology does not count.

That's the whole problem.. they can't. Make them throw out a book that has over 3000 translations, because even they can't agree on the right one and suddenly there isn't a single logical argument coming from them. I'm all four spiritual belief, but religion is just a plague that needs to be eradicated.

That's the whole problem.. they can't. Make them throw out a book that has over 3000 translations, because even they can't agree on the right one and suddenly there isn't a single logical argument coming from them. I'm all four spiritual belief, but religion is just a plague that needs to be eradicated.

Totally agree.

Based on current understanding of how matter works, no. That could change tomorrow or next year. The wonderful thing about science, it has mechanisms like peer review and experimental repeat-ability to correct flawed theory/understanding.

Or, it could be that it's never known. So..... You seem to be putting faith into science, yet not in faith.

Who is they? After all, you cannot be speaking of Christians or the Bible itself. Oh, and there are quite a few logical points coming from Christians. However, man, on his own, will never understand and will think the gospel is foolishness.

Who is they? After all, you cannot be speaking of Christians or the Bible itself. Oh, and there are quite a few logical points coming from Christians. However, man, on his own, will never understand and will think the gospel is foolishness.

They being YEC, they are the extremist fundamentalist morons of the christian world. For the most part the gospel is foolishness. I say this from the perspective of someone who grew up in a deeply religious family, and was attending school to become a pastor at one point. The more I studied theology the more disgusted I became with the whole thing. I have very good reasons based in years of education both secular and Religious on why I walked away.

As I said, Religion is just a plague that taints having an actual spiritual belief.

Not sure of the point of equal time here. From what I understand the show didn't garner a particularly impressive viewership.

Besides, TV is the domain for intellectual laziness in the modern age. It's for life's spectators who love to be told what and how to think, so they don't have to expend the energy themselves.

Besides, TV is the domain for intellectual laziness in the modern age. It's for life's spectators who love to be told what and how to think, so they don't have to expend the energy themselves.

So, it's sorta like organized religion, then? :D

Not sure of the point of equal time here. From what I understand the show didn't garner a particularly impressive viewership.

Which is why it NEEDED to be on Fox.

When a modern TV program can put together something that even comes close to a mere single page of Thomas Aquinas, then I'll consider that possibility. ;)

Touché :D

Ok, so it's more like the anti-intellectual fundamentalist populist version of religion. Opiate of the masses and all that.

lol on some people saying evolution is fact. A lot of people claim its fact when its not. Its just a theory. It takes just as much faith to believe in god as it does to believe in evolution. Just pick your party. Has anyone ever seen transition fossils over millions and billions of years. Real ones that show a gradual change over time. Micro-evolution does not prove macro-evolution if you don't got any steps to fill in the void. You guys should look up dead mans secrets and forbidden archaeology. What we know about history is all a lie mostly. Scientific community is biased and using preconcieved notions when studying any new material. Whats scientific if your trying to prove evolution when you should be at all. Its like the plan was laid out and said that we came as the result of evolution in the 1800s without having any evidence. This whole time they have had this proconceived idea in their minds to prove for over 100 years. There has been evidence contradicting this theory but they have been thrown aside and not researched. Do you actually believe the pyramids were built without the wheel, no ramps, nothing at all but brute human strength. Blocks of stone some of them weighing over 1000 tons each. Even today it would be a massive undertaking. Research more and you'll see that you've been lied to about your own history. It takes a lot of ignorance to not question mainstream science and history the way it is right now.

Watch this and this

Has anyone ever seen transition fossils over millions and billions of years. Real ones that show a gradual change over time.

Yep. Tons of 'em, including a fair chunk from the evolution of the human species specifically. Plus, you know, DNA research and all.

Do you actually believe the pyramids were built without the wheel, no ramps, nothing at all but brute human strength. Blocks of stone some of them weighing over 1000 tons each.

Not at all hard to believe when we actually have papyrus documentation of the stone being brought across the Red Sea from the quarries in Sinai, graffiti from the workers themselves on the inside of the facing plates and weight-relief chambers of the pyramids, and hieroglyphic references on the tombs of workers and pharaohs alike. You ever see the ship-breakers in Alang, India haul an entire ocean-going vessel up on the beach with just dude and ropes? There isn't much of a limit to how big a pile of rocks you can stack when you've got 10,000 people, who thing you are a God, working over 20 years to do it. Plus, to be fair, the biggest blocks in Khufu's Great Pyramid are only 80 tons.

Yep. Tons of 'em, including a fair chunk from the evolution of the human species specifically. Plus, you know, DNA research and all.

Not at all hard to believe when we actually have papyrus documentation of the stone being brought across the Red Sea from the quarries in Sinai, graffiti from the workers themselves on the inside of the facing plates and weight-relief chambers of the pyramids, and hieroglyphic references on the tombs of workers and pharaohs alike. You ever see the ship-breakers in Alang, India haul an entire ocean-going vessel up on the beach with just dude and ropes? There isn't much of a limit to how big a pile of rocks you can stack when you've got 10,000 people, who thing you are a God, working over 20 years to do it. Plus, to be fair, the biggest blocks in Khufu's Great Pyramid are only 80 tons.

Theres pyramids in the middle of the desert though. They didn't have pulleys, wheels, or any type of leverage at their disposal. You can't get 10000 people on a rope and load up rocks at a angle. Mainstream history says they were dumb idiots at that time. Pyramid was the biggest building on earth until the empire state building was built. If you believe it was brute force then you will believe in anything at this point.

My family are very religious and even they have accepted evolution.

Than they clearly do not believe the Bible is true. I believe the Word of God but I'm not religious. That is unless you are speaking of the definition of religion found in the book of James.

Coming from a deeply religious family nor makes you a Christian than being in a garage makes you a Chevy. :D

Why does Tyson offer to take us to "surf the gravity waves of space-time" in the Cosmos intro? You'd think someone so well known for nit-picking would call them gravitational waves.

I correct myself, it was the tallest building for 3800 years actually. Not as tall as i thought.

Give them equal air time on the show, but they can't use any religious text to make their point.

Why does Tyson offer to take us to "surf the gravity waves of space-time" in the Cosmos intro? You'd think someone so well known for nit-picking would call them gravitational waves.
Kind of funny that you mentioned this, as an atmospheric scientist I encounter the term "gravity wave" all the time in the fluid dynamics context. For a while I didn't even know that there were also "gravitational waves" which are different. It's a silly mistake but I think my man Tyson has done enough good for science education as a whole to be forgiven for this slight blunder.

Deal. Now we get 'equal airtime' in your churches. And not just scientists. Muslims and Satanists too. Hey, if you *really* believe in equal airtime it won't be a problem right.?

No, actually I am a Christian. As far as the desire to be part of that show, how would that spread the gospel?

I question the motivations of a person that wants to promote anything other than provable truth.

Theres pyramids in the middle of the desert though. They didn't have pulleys, wheels, or any type of leverage at their disposal. You can't get 10000 people on a rope and load up rocks at a angle.

Actually . . . no. Before the Aswan High Dam was built, the annual Nile floods came right up the base of the Giza Plateau (we've pictures of that, btw), so getting the blocks there would have been comparatively easy. All of the other 190+ pyramids are in similar striking distance to the Nile at full inundation. The Plateau itself is rock, so the ground is solid. They also had plenty of levers and such, though they did not yet use the wheel. We've no evidence on whether or not they used moveable rollers, however, which is a distinct possibility.

Mainstream history says they were dumb idiots at that time.

I'm not sure what mainstream history you are referring to. They were every bit as smart as the modern man; we are talking behaviorally modern, civilized, literate Homo sapiens sapiens here, after all. I'd argue that, on the average, they may have even been smarter, since there was a whole hell of a lot less of a safety net to protect them from their own stupidity.

If you believe it was brute force then you will believe in anything at this point.

Since I checked out the links you posted, I'll throw that back at you tenfold. It's probably prudent if we just agree to disagree.

I question the motivations of a person that wants to promote anything other than provable truth.

That would kind of confine us to the mathematical sciences only though. There is a whole world of human experience outside of mathematics that requires varying degrees of human thought and philosophical exploration. Some of those are outside the realm of science altogether.

Than they clearly do not believe the Bible is true. I believe the Word of God but I'm not religious. That is unless you are speaking of the definition of religion found in the book of James.

Coming from a deeply religious family nor makes you a Christian than being in a garage makes you a Chevy. :D

Uh... how do you know the Bible/Qur'an/etc is the word of god? No, really. How do you know? I'm surprised religious people and non religious people alike think this way. Have any of you guys every heard of the game called "Telephone?" Translations going awry because of non exacting words?

Or, it could be that it's never known. So..... You seem to be putting faith into science, yet not in faith.

Faith?

Reason works pretty damn well when impartial and simply trying to understand how things work. If science didn't get it right in the end we wouldn't have GPS and supercomputers. People to this day are trying to defy Newton's gravity, coming up with all manner of space-age tests to get it to fall apart. People get things wrong from time to time, in the end the process and method in science balances it out.

Remember the quacks who came declaring they mastered cold-fusion a few decades back? Whether they had it wrong, or were scammers looking for PR-their apparently false work was found out for what it was--and quick.

I really don't get why you try to pigeon-hole skepticism and matters that are admitedly blind "faith" as being somehow the same. Why put "faith" in "faith"? The Bible has all manner of things in it that people today don't believe are ethically viable. Guess what? All that shit is *still* in the Bible, just not read in front of the kids at Sunday School because it ain't up to any moral code from the last century at least.

I don't believe in God or evolution. Neither has been proven satisfactorily to me. It could be argued that evolution is a religion. You have to take so much of the theory on faith, and "because I said so.".

That said, it is a TV show. Scientist generally don't show up at the pulpit of the 700 Club, why would you expect a preacher to show up on a science entertainment show?
I would prefer that evolution be taught as a theory in schools, and not as the new bible, but it's not like our kids actually learn anything in our public schools anyway.

Uh... how do you know the Bible/Qur'an/etc is the word of god? No, really. How do you know? I'm surprised religious people and non religious people alike think this way. Have any of you guys every heard of the game called "Telephone?" Translations going awry because of non exacting words?

30,000 years to turn our only SUN into only son.

It would be hysterical if it wasn't so pathetic.

Like those who try to promote abiogenesis. Where's the reproducibility?

I can accept if they say "I think that life arose this way and here's why...." and present evidence.

I'd reject it if they say "I know life arose this way because...", without/ or with shaky "proof".

When somebody says "I know", then I expect irrefutable proof. No exceptions.

You believe in The Word of God.

Okay, what's The Word of God?

Because all I see is a book, written by and for man, based on a hazy oral tradition carried on by and for man.

Not that kernels of wisdom don't exist in there. And that's fine. Nothing totally stupid and wrong can last for thousands of years.

And I admire faith. But only to a certain degree.

I admire those that are right, and good and just even if they do NOT profess faith every bit as much, if not more. Why? They do it BECAUSE it is right and good and just. Not because some all-powerful, all-knowing deity has terrorized mankind into doing it.

Creationism isn't science. Because there's no way to observe the process of "God did it".

Evolution is science. Because we can observe its effects, and predict its path. And these experiments can be reproduced.

Religion already has tens of thousands of outlets for consumption all over the world. But that's not enough. It has to poison our schools. And is so intolerant of other messages that a single science-based TV show has religious dogmatists up in arms and demanding "equal time".

This sort of behavior sickens me and only contributes to the growing problem that is religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back