Creating own wesite (advice)

ParkyRFC

n00b
First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm looking to build my own website for my business. Initially it will be for promoting/advertising a product I designed but hopefully as things progress I can start to sell the product on the website.

I'm from the UK so the domain would preferably be .co.uk. Obviously I would like it to look as professional as possible but have no experience at all in this field so perhaps I would be way over my depth. Is there any recommended sites to use? There seems to be a lot out there. If I'm not capable of doing it myself, where would be a good port of call?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just pick a top-tier webhost, and play around with their services/offerings. If you need help finding vendors, there is a sticky on this topic. The big names have wizards that will walk you through the process, and have offerings that are geared for many technical levels.

Selecting a webhost is not a marriage -- if you don't like it or can't get the help you need, move on.

Hey thanks for the response. I will take a look at the sticky.

The content shouldn't be too complicated, basically it will consist of information regarding the product, what it does how it works etc with some pictures and perhaps a video to help fully understand how it works.

Take a look at square space, in about 4 hours I was able to put this together. I am a software developer and I have worked with CSS and Javascript before, but I didn't have to touch any code to get that page to the state where it is now.

You also have the proverbial WordPress CMS. Using a CMS would be the fastest way to get something live and should be good enough for your needs. You could go lower level and more hands on and use Twitter Bootstrap, or a framework, but that would involve coding. If it were me, I would use either WordPress or Concrete5 and focus on building my business. If you will be promoting a product through your website you will most likely want to split test different promotional content to see which one works for you. This means you will need a way to easily modify your web content and I suggest WordPress.

Just put it at Wordpress.com

Wordpress is more of a 'blog' and Drupal/Joomla are more of a CMS for a 'regular' site.

I'd recommend wordpress also, is by far the most easiest to use content management system and you can change the look of your website by buying themes and add ons

Definitely SquareSpace.com or Virb.com if you're looking to build a brochure style site... wordpress could work as a free alternative.

Back