create vcds in dvds

leeroy

Gawd
i want to create a vcd to play in my car. they are all little videos and some are legal mtvs. i got about 500 videos to copy which is about 26gb worth of data i want to copy.

i know that i must convert them to MPEG2 right first.
in nero i try compiling a vcd however it will only let me fit 700mb worth of video data when i can fit 4.7gb worth on a blank dvd-r.

i know i selected the wrong option but i dont see the option for a dvd.
can someone guide me please as well as software wise.
i tried virtual dub but i do not see the codec for mpeg2???
thanks.

OR
what is the best way to back up 500 video files? i could just compile a 4gb data compilation and burn the files as it is. but some are avi, divx, xvid etc and then i could just wait to get a xvid/divx player?
this option might be better since if i convert all videos to mpeg2 format it mite take too much space and time and looking at tmpengc tutorials a 40mb mtv i have is like 299mb in size for dvd pal format !?? =/

Um, VCD stands for Video CD, you should only be able to fit 700MB data on it. Are you wanting to create a DVD, which offers the much superior MPEG2 codec over MPEG1, as well as more data, or is yoour player DVD incompatible. Could you please rephrase and elaborate?

hi yeah thanks
i have a dvdrw and on the 4.7GB dvd-r in nero

i would like to create a dvd with mpeg2 which shall be playable in any dvd player.
so basically it is like a karoke vcd but on a dvd (using dvd disc since more space = more mtvs).

or do you recommend another application i should use. the reason why id like to use nero is because of its ease of menu creation.

If you wanna make DVDs that play in a DVD player... even at the highest compression setting you'll only get about 2 hours on each DVD.

It would take you 7 DVDs just to backup 26GB of video files... or dozens of DVDs if you converted them into DVD video discs.

You should just buy a 40GB hard drive... and just backup 26GB of files!

well at the end of the day i would like to back these up to a DVD so i can play them in a car dvd player because at the end of the day also HDs only have a life time average of 4/5 years. my tutor told me this...

leeroy said:
well at the end of the day i would like to back these up to a DVD so i can play them in a car dvd player because at the end of the day also HDs only have a life time average of 4/5 years. my tutor told me this...

that's *useful* lifetime. faster drives with bigger capacities drive replacement more often than hardware failure. that said, you had better stabilize the carputer hd *really* well. bumps and shit while driving is not good for an active harddrive.

If you wanna take the time to burn 500 video files to 20 or 30 DVDs, go ahead. If watching videos in your car is so important... I don't wanna be on the road anywhere near you! :)

Making video DVDs from 500 video files is way too much work.

What DVD burner and software do you have? I have a Pioneer DVR-A07 and I mainly use Pinnacle Studio to edit videos and burn them with Nero 6.

If I wanted to make video DVDs with Pinnacle, I'd first have to convert all the types of video files to AVI, which could take hours. Then I could import them into Pinnacle. I'd make each file a chapter, so I could access each video as a track on the DVD. And I can create a menu. Then after about 3 hours of rendering and MPEG compression, I'd have one DVD. Then repeat 20 times. You'd go through these steps with any type of program. You're attempting one hell of a project... just to watch your videos in a car!

500 video files, if at least 2 minutes each = 1000 minutes = 16 hours of your videos

Converted to video DVDs = 80 hours of work. Good luck! :)

use Nero Express to burn MPG formats into Video_TS.

or if you just want DATA, then use Nero, if you're not using the Wizard, then there is a Pulldown box in the top-left labelled "CD". Click that, switch to "DVD"

lol yeah, hell of a time. but i thought i could leave them as mpeg format? instead of converting them to the big avi format.

i have a pioneer 106 4x dvdrw
some bulkpaq 2x dvd-rs :p
nero 5.5

Back