Creality Ender 3

Discussion in '3D Printers & Projects' started by Spun Ducky, May 20, 2018.

1. Spun Ducky

Spun Ducky Limp Gawd

So I just ordered my first 3d printer a Ender 3 after doing some research and I was wondering if anyone here already owned one? I am curious on any gotchas or things to look out for when using it to get the most out of it. My only experience with 3d printing has been a mini select from monoprice a friend had on hand. Once I get it up and running I am happy to answer any questions anyone has as well.

2. hakstarr

hakstarr Limp Gawd

Hey Spun I just bought one as well how is your's holding up?

3. Spun Ducky

Spun Ducky Limp Gawd

It is holding up just fine. I haven't had to replace any parts at all. The heated bed is a bit scratched up from print removal although some of the bad spots were my own fault from being new to 3d printing. I have had to unclog the nozzle a few times with the pin needles but overall it has been well worth the money. I think really my only complaint at this point is the want for a bigger bed size and a self leveling bed. I have sorta branched off more into metal working now as my hobby but I use the 3d printer to make prints for metal casting parts. I then clean the parts up on my metal lathe and vertical mill. So basically the printer is now the rough sketching device for my metal work and also good for fit and finish testing before making the metal piece I need by testing with plastic first.

Engr62 likes this.
  4. Engr62

Engr62 Limp Gawd

Spun Ducky That's great to hear. I just placed an order for the Ender 3 also as my first foray into 3D printing (at home).

5. Spun Ducky

Spun Ducky Limp Gawd

I have a buddy who has been working with 3d printers since they dropped under a grand for the cruddy ones and he also picked up an ender 3. The price for what you get can't currently be beat on the market. The metal frame, common parts, and very high print quality for the price makes it still my top pick. I may eventually grab another ender 3 just to dual print at once. I got mine from ebay with one of those 15% coupons so that is something to consider if you want to pick one up as I got mine sub 200.

i will say though that more than likely quite a few of your first prints will fail. It more than likely isn't the machine but just growing pains of learning a new tech. The things I wish I had known would be to level the bed with a piece of printer paper at the corners where it has just light tension between the print head and bed when pulling on it. THe other is to make sure you have your temps correctly for the bed/nozzle. Quality plastic is important too. The last thing that caused me a few failures was incorrect slicing of the model I was printing and print speed too high.

6. Viper16

Viper16 [H]ard|Gawd

Just bought a Ender 3 Pro for $229.99. First time ever messing around with 3D Printing, looking forward to this tinkering.