Creality CR 6 SE

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
I figure go ahead and make a thread for this new printer. Kickstarter backers are starting to receive their CR 6 SE printers now. I ordered one. It hasn't shipped yet. Anyone else order one or plan to buy one once the Creality store starts selling them?

Heard there is some quality issues and people are reporting they are starting fires.
If you get yours soon, I suggest you don't do any overnight prints and keep an eye on it every so often until Creality fixes the issue.

Here's more info: Click Me

Yeah I'm keeping track of it all. Mine hasnt shipped yet and if I understand their latest update correctly that they are going back through the printers that not yet shipped and fixing anything that may be wrong.

Well yesterday Creality sent out Batch 18 which my printer is in. Now to wait on the long boat ride.

I got mine last week and haven’t built it yet. I debated selling it but I think I’ll just build it and see what happens. I did go ahead and order a replacement switch and will swap that out when I build.

I'll order one as soon as they're available. I noticed they pushed the estimated availability back by a month...

Really looking forward to a dual-z & auto leveling machine for production duties. Hopefully they get the kinks worked out. What was letting smoke out?

Way too many reports of faulty units. I’ll hold out until these get cleared up. I often print for hours at a time. No need for a house fire. Nice printer though.

Well people with the problems are usually the most vocal but yeah there have been issues. If in the market for one I'd say wait 6 months. Once mine arrives I will be posting here and giving my thoughts about it.

Mine has been sitting in the box for nearly 3 weeks. Still debating whether to sell it or not.

I'd say most buyers don't have a problem with the CR 6 SE. There is a segment that is however. We just don't know the percentage of that segment. I think its smaller than those with no problems but its hard to quantify.

The 3d printer crowd are pretty diy savvy. If they are that vocal including major review sites, it’s probably best to wait until the revision hits the market imo.

Is this actual components failing, or just another case of bad terminals/connectors that can be easily remedied?

Is this actual components failing, or just another case of bad terminals/connectors that can be easily remedied?

There seems to be two common issues:

1. A bad power switch - easily replaced.
2. Motherboards which seem to be dying around the power input. An engineer did a preliminary analysis and said he thinks the traces are too small given the power profile.

My printer arrived yesterday but wife and I are out of town on vacation. (Figures, right?) Next week when I get back I'll unbox it and assemble it and see how it is.

My printer arrived yesterday but wife and I are out of town on vacation. (Figures, right?) Next week when I get back I'll unbox it and assemble it and see how it is.

I still haven’t built mine and I’ve had it for over a month. :D I might tomorrow.

Ordered one tonight. Hopefully the issues are in the vast minority of units sold during the $4.4M launch... we’ll see in a few weeks.

I gave one a shot. Was a more recent batch, not from launch. I was not very impressed. I am almost sure mine had a warped bed. Ended up returning it.

Ordered one tonight. Hopefully the issues are in the vast minority of units sold during the $4.4M launch... we’ll see in a few weeks.
Supposedly all new units going out from Creality store have all the issues fixed. That's what they are telling us anyway. Once you get yours and been using it for a bit report back to us and let us know.

I gave one a shot. Was a more recent batch, not from launch. I was not very impressed. I am almost sure mine had a warped bed. Ended up returning it.
Does the ABL not compensate for any warpage (within reason)?

Built my CR6SE last week. Some thoughts:

1. I replaced the switch immediately with a higher-quality switch from DigiKey. The included switch is very cheap and fragile and I actually broke it taking the connectors off.

2. As far as the rest of the build goes: 1) Bed rollers were way too tight and caused bumping when the bed was moved, probably due to the rubber being flattened at those points. I loosened them and everything looks good now. 2) I opened the PSU compartment and a huge aluminum shaving fell out. 3) Bed screws were a little loose but most everything else was tightened well.

3. ABL seems to work very well. The strange thing is that Bed Visualizer shows a roughly 1 mm difference between the left back corner and right front corner but I am not seeing it when I measure distance from gantry to bed in each location. Bed visualizer also shows a clear downward slope going from left to right but again, my gantry is spot on if I measure distance from gantry to bed on the left and right - maybe a .1 or .2 mm difference from what my eyes see.

4. Prints have been very good using the cheap Creality PLA.

5. There is an annoying bug I’ve seen two or three times. I am on the latest released firmware. The bug seems to happen if I move the z axis up 50 or so mm and then try to do something. What happens is that the axis will move down a little and then move back up and stop. Octoprint says the printer errored out and disconnects. The touchscreen is responsive (meaning I can move from screen to screen) but the controls don’t seem to work - I can’t move the gantry at all. The hotend was heated to 230 and the cool down menu selection didn’t seem to work, but when I rebooted the printer, the hot end was at 70 or so and that leads me to believe the cool down command did work but the screen didn’t update.

6. Z offset was initially all over the place but seems to have settled down to around 0.15. When I first started, I had to use 0.3. I can’t explain it or the bed visualizer data, as the bed and hot end assembly are solid (no wobbling).

Would I buy this printer again? Well, I’ve only been printing with it for a few days so it is too early to tell. I think the feature set is great and if Creality pushes ahead with it, I think it has the potential of being another Ender 3. However, knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t have backed the Kickstarter and would’ve waited for widespread retail availability of the printer and parts. If a major component dies which is proprietary to the CR6, it may be down for weeks waiting for a replacement as parts aren’t readily available outside of Asia.

Last edited:
Built my CR6SE last week. Some thoughts:

1. I replaced the switch immediately with a higher-quality switch from DigiKey. The included switch is very cheap and fragile and I actually broke it taking the connectors off.

2. As far as the rest of the build goes: 1) Bed rollers were way too tight and caused bumping when the bed was moved, probably due to the rubber being flattened at those points. I loosened them and everything looks good now. 2) I opened the PSU compartment and a huge aluminum shaving fell out. 3) Bed screws were a little loose but most everything else was tightened well.

3. ABL seems to work very well. The strange thing is that Bed Visualizer shows a roughly 1 mm difference between the left back corner and right front corner but I am not seeing it when I measure distance from gantry to bed in each location. Bed visualizer also shows a clear downward slope going from left to right but again, my gantry is spot on if I measure distance from gantry to bed on the left and right - maybe a .1 or .2 mm difference from what my eyes see.

4. Prints have been very good using the cheap Creality PLA.

5. There is an annoying bug I’ve seen two or three times. I am on the latest released firmware. The bug seems to happen if I move the z axis up 50 or so mm and then try to do something. What happens is that the axis will move down a little and then move back up and stop. Octoprint says the printer errored out and disconnects. The touchscreen is responsive (meaning I can move from screen to screen) but the controls don’t seem to work - I can’t move the gantry at all. The hotend was heated to 230 and the cool down menu selection didn’t seem to work, but when I rebooted the printer, the hot end was at 70 or so and that leads me to believe the cool down command did work but the screen didn’t update.

6. Z offset was initially all over the place but seems to have settled down to around 0.15. When I first started, I had to use 0.3. I can’t explain it or the bed visualizer data, as the bed and hot end assembly are solid (no wobbling).

Would I buy this printer again? Well, I’ve only been printing with it for a few days so it is too early to tell. I think the feature set is great and if Creality pushes ahead with it, I think it has the potential of being another Ender 3. However, knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t have backed the Kickstarter and would’ve waited for widespread retail availability of the printer and parts. If a major component dies which is proprietary to the CR6, it may be down for weeks waiting for a replacement as parts aren’t readily available outside of Asia.
Yeah my opinion is never do a KS again. Just wait for official release. That just me though. In this case I think Creality treated it more like a pre order and didnt fully test it and some backers were left with problems with no to little customer support. Again that just my own personal opinion. With all the bugs/problems/kinks worked out the CR6 line should be successful. Not sure if it would be as successful and their Ender 3 line but should make them money. Hopefully Creality continues to improve this printer line.

Got my non-KS version last week... A few of my notes:

1. Far from attach upright and go... I had to re-torque just about every fastener on the thing. Bed screws, extrusion cap screws, all eccentric wheels needed adjustment. Belts were ok though.

2. LED in the print head is a neat idea, but who the fuck thinks blue is a good color?!? I'd rather see my part than burn my retinas.

3. ABL w/mesh is awesome. Printed a 200mm X 200mm sheet one layer thick and it is perfect.

4. Firmware has the system re-reference the mesh before each print, after it preheats. Unfortunately it does this in the center of the bed, before the purge cycle, leaving a blob of a potentially different color on base of your print. I wish they would've established the reference near the home corner.

5. I can't get the end gcode to present the part properly... It'll present it, then send it rearward. I'm thinking there's something in the firmware happening after my ending gcode.

6. Touchscreen is a worthy upgrade.

7. I checked all the wiring & terminals - switch was good, spade connectors tight, terminal block screws were tight.

8. Flip-lever covered extruder is dumb. You have no way to manually feed filament other than grab and push, which makes spool/color changes difficult when the filament doesn't quite line up correctly. I swapped mine out for the same aluminum extruder kit I have on my Pro & V2 and installed a printed knob.

Overall I like it, but would still recommend a V2 over it unless you needed the larger print bed and dual Z's. ABL is the biggest selling factor, but it's really not needed once you get things set up in my experience.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back