Crazy uVerse Networking Queston???

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
I have 3 uVerse boxes running throughout my home. uVerse is ATT Television, IPTV, for those that dont know.

It has a 4 port 10/100 switch in the back. This switch is used to share iptv to other networkable uv boxes using ethernet.

No matter what setting I tell the internal switch of the uverse box it constantly CRC errors out when connected to my Cisco 1921 Router with 8 port EHWIC Gig switch.

I can force whateve duplex setting I want and I still get massive CRC errors and it seems like the Cisco switch just dumps all traffic delivery from this residential gateway.

I have tried all duplex settings both manual and auto. Will not work. I have changed the 5e cable twice each, hand made as well as factory made cabling. I am wits end.

Funniest thing.... when I hook up my old netgear 10baset HUB, yes HUB, it works fine. When I hook it up to any of my other 100meg or 1000meg switches (DUMB-Unmanaged) it works fine. On the HUB I do see massive collisions but this is probably due to HD video using 100% of the bandwidth of the HUB. Plus they suck because they are all one collision domain.

When I hook it up to my 3750e gig Cisco 24port it works regardless of CRC errors and the switch wont stop forwarding traffic from the residential gateway.

This is confusing the piss out of me. The only thing I can think of that is causing all of these CRC errors is not just a specific port or a cable, because all cables and ports are generating massive CRC errors. Could the res gateway have a bad internal switch it's self all around?

Should I consider asking to swap the gateway for a new one from ATT? This makes no sense. Maybe someone can recommend some funky layer 2 setting for my EHWIC-D-8ESG switch on my router that will make the switch forward frames regardless of CRC conditions? I get no video skips that is the funny part when it works.

Edit*** From my CCNA and CCNP training and experience I know that CRC errors are almost 100% layer 1 issues which is leading me to believe that the residential gateway might be junk and need replacing. If I hook any other access device to the same switch port on the Cisco I get ZERO errors.

have you tried cross-over vs straight thru?? I know a lot of newer switchs and routers have auto sensing to make that less important. Not sure if the uverse one does or not. Just a thought. Also was curious since you didn't say what you tried on the cabling just that you tried hand made and pre-made. Sorry if this post is no help.

the cisco is seeing the multicast IPTV traffic and freaking out, that's it.

Also, you said cisco router. The private subnet on the cisco is set to something other than 192.168.1.0/24 correct?

Also, you are keeping all tv's on the uverse modem and any other devices on the cisco router right? The TV's can not be behind a second router.

Last edited:
Back