Crazy idea for silent system with Dyson Cool AM06

Weeth

Gawd
I hate freakin' system noise and I'm dumping my Alienware Aurora R4 3930K system because I am either going to take a spike to its fans or to my eardrums. So I came up with a really weird idea. How about a custom straight-through airflow cube-type case with this monster at one end of it:

Dyson Cool AM06 Review

Now if I do this way overkill concept, I want to run a Noctua NH-D14 completely passive with no fans and figure out some way to run the video card without a fan just hanging out in the airstream.

Any ideas welcomed!

Yeah, but the fan is a turbine and apparently the whole shebang is designed to minimize sound to barely audible. That could work very well in a nearly silent system, or at least I think it could.

Not to be a dream-killer (that's not true, I derive a sick pleasure from killing dreams:D), but...

My wife won one of those 'air multipliers' (lol, marketing) in a work contest. Dyson's have virtually zero static pressure, so don't expect to push much air through anything of resistence. They don't really move a large volume of air, and they are far from silent--they still have impellers in the base, and are very noisy. The only real advantage to these fans--and I wouldn't even call it an advantage--is that they don't have blades in the free air that blow dust around when you turn it on. That's. About. It.

I can't say for certain, but your noise is probably because of the radiator (IIRC, the CPU is watercooled in that model?)--rather, the air being smashed against the fins. You would have less noise if you could find a rad that had larger fin separation, it would go a long way with the noise. On the GPU's...I don't know. When I had a noisy GPU, I just ziptied a 120mm fan onto it, and I couldn't hear a peep. Then again, that wasn't on a high-end hot card.

Yeah, but the fan is a turbine and apparently the whole shebang is designed to minimize sound to barely audible. That could work very well in a nearly silent system, or at least I think it could.

quite the contrary--unfortunately they're very loud.

Last edited:
The whole idea behind this Dyson thing would be if it's very quiet. I guess I'm going to have to head down to Best Buy and listen for myself. As for the resistance, I'd definitely get a case with an open side and blow it all in. As for the Alienware it's going to be gone soon with any luck and that will be the end of that racket, no matter how caused.

If I want to dump this whole idea, what 140mm fan would you recommend as the quietest available (at pretty well any cost). I have the Noctua 140 in my 2600K and it's ok but is there anything quieter running at around 700 rpm?

The Dyson fan uses an air multiplier technique that works well in free space.
Without enough space the amount of airflow isnt that high..

As pointed out, they arent quiet.
They have brought out a newer version which is quieter, but it still wont match the performance/noise of a decent fan in a computer case and will cost a huge amount more.

Use a large external radiator with a larger slower fan, thats what I've done on my CPU.
Only my GPU throws heat into my case so they dont influence each other.

Ok, fair enough... I've only seen 360mm rads which fit triple 120mm fans. Is there anything bigger so that I can run the fans slower?

I'm using a medium sized car heatercore (with 1/2" ID tubing).
This is the radiator inside the car that heats the car interior from the engine heat.
They are dirt cheap from a scrap yard and are fantastic radiators.
You can use a van or truck radiator if you want to supersize. (edit, I meant heatercore not radiator)

Mine is very fine mesh aluminium, you can get copper ones but they are less common.
I'm blowing a 250mm slow silent fan at it.
The fan is about the same size as the length of the heatercore and is much larger than the width, but it doesnt matter.

Forgot to mention
This is running a 2500K at 1.42V 24/7, max temp during gaming is way less than 50C, I've not seen it hit 60C during hardcore testing at 4.7GHz.

Last edited:
Any chance of running a nice big heater core fully passive or will it heat up too much?

I gave it a half hearted attempt and its certainly possible if you dont go mad on voltage like I have.
Cant remember the temps, but they werent wild.

There have been a few times my fan has stopped (needed oiling a year ago) and I didnt notice for quite a while.
My PC didnt crash once.
Idle temps were around 50C.
Bear in mind there was hardly any sympathetic airflow around the radiator, if anything, its surroundings impeded airflow without the fan running.
Lower voltage and a better setup will trounce the temps.

If you seal a radiator at the bottom of a tube such that the hot air rising high in the tube draws a lot of air into the radiator at the bottom, it should work very well.
The taller the tube the better, although the law of diminishing returns will become apparent.
1/2 metre or more should start to have a good effect.

Well, I just pulled the trigger on an Antec Nineteen Hundred, so I'm starting a new thread on recommendations. It's going to be a bit of a strange build but I'm looking forward to it! :)

Back