"Crates" have completely ruined Forza 7 for me.

zamardii12

2[H]4U
So, I have never run into a problem like this before and I can't shake this off so I feel I have to gripe/talk about it with others who have likely had this experience. I was excited to buy Forza 7. Got it used off eBay for about $32. I fire it up and I am off racing. I enter my first cup and diagonally to the lower right of "Start Race" there is a "Crates" option before every race. It's basically a slot machine... you used your in-game earned credits for a crate which you don't know what is inside. They all just say "chance to get such-and-such." Well, when I saw that my mind instantly shifted to the single game I spend real money on to play which is Zombie Gunship 2 on my phone. Production value is high on the mobile game, and is super fun, but progress in that game is completely dominated around these "crates." This is the first "freemium" game i've ever played and I got sucked in for $25 before I realized what I was doing before I uninstalled the game.

Seeing something so similar on a $60 game in a series that I have grown to love is absolutely heart-breaking. Now, it's fine that it's using in-game currency and I saw no easy path to use "real world" money to buy credits (which it could very well exist), but there are only 2 things I want to spend in game credits for in a racing game; cars, and upgrades (performance and Aero). Seeing these crates so central and in-my-face right before starting EVERY race has left a REAL sour taste in my mouth. Like REAL bad; to the point where I think that I can't enjoy this game anymore without thinking I am playing Real Racing 3 for Android/iOS which is another racing game with high production value and great graphics.

Just seeing this premise of "you MAY get something good if you spend your credits on this crate" is completely gambling and I hate it. There is no reason for that in a racing game, let-alone in a game that many folks paid $60 for. I am not sure how to get over this FEELING of playing a freemium game when it comes to Forza 7 so I've gone back to playing Horizon 3.

I would understand if you were paying real money for the crates, but with in game currency, I don't see what the big deal is about? Are you just opposed to gambling in general that you don't want to even see it in a game?

I would understand if you were paying real money for the crates, but with in game currency, I don't see what the big deal is about? Are you just opposed to gambling in general that you don't want to even see it in a game?

I thought that was clear. There is only 2 things I want to see in racing games when it comes to spending money; which is cars and upgrades. If I wanted to take a chance on a crate there should be a separate section for that. Also, turning off assists doesn't reward you anymore, but have to be earned through "mods."

I thought that was clear. There is only 2 things I want to see in racing games when it comes to spending money; which is cars and upgrades. If I wanted to take a chance on a crate there should be a separate section for that. Also, turning off assists doesn't reward you anymore, but have to be earned through "mods."

It doesn't force you to buy the crates and honestly until you even mentioned it, I never even noticed it. As for the assists, I wasn't aware that it no longer rewards you? I thought it still gives you a modifier to your XP or credits when you start turning off various assists?

It doesn't force you to buy the crates and honestly until you even mentioned it, I never even noticed it. As for the assists, I wasn't aware that it no longer rewards you? I thought it still gives you a modifier to your XP or credits when you start turning off various assists?

That doesn't happen. You have to apply "mods" now that you get from the crates.

AI difficulty still has an effect on credits and XP. I occasionally use mods from crates to boost payouts on endurance races. Did they remove the bonuses from disabling assists to gently push players towards the use of the crates? Maybe.

That doesn't happen. You have to apply "mods" now that you get from the crates.

i have only played a little bit so far, but I was pretty sure mods don't just come from crates, nor are they the only thing that enhances credits or xp gain.

Nothing new, lootboxes ruining games. They have no business being in there, in any game. You don't go into a shop in real life either buying a nondescript box containing who knows what. You buy specific items.

Did they remove the bonuses from disabling assists to gently push players towards the use of the crates? Maybe.

That's exactly what they did. See here:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...d-a-new-low-with-forza-7s-pay-to-earn-option/

Small snip:

"But Forza 7 adds a peculiar and arguably non-essential twist to the loot boxes' random contents through a new item called a "mod." That might sound like an item that will modify a car to enhance its performance, but it actually modifies the circumstances of the next race—and, consequently, the amount of CR you can earn in that race.

Apply a "night race" mod to your car before a race, for example, and you'll turn your next race from day to night—and earn 30 percent more CR on that race. An "instability" mod turns off one of the game's "driver assist" perks in exchange for a 30-percent CR boost. Some mods don't count unless you complete an objective, like pulling off two "perfect turns" in a race. Other mods simply grant a flat CR reward boost in your next race without additional requirements.

Changing the difficulty or terms of a single race in exchange for a higher CR payout will sound familiar to Forza fans, because this used to simply be a standard thing you could do whenever you wanted. Players could manually add or remove certain assists—like "driving line" marks of where you should accelerate and brake—and get more CR per race for having fewer assists. That's no longer the case. You can still adjust the assists as you see fit, but you won't be rewarded for doing so... unless you have the right mod in your inventory."

Same as the new NFS game with the "random cards" system. Stupid bullshit that nobody ever asked for. The only time games should have random loot is in something like an RPG when you kill mobs.

I don't have a problem with earning in game credits which are used to open crates. Earning in game rewards evolves over time.

The issue comes in when you have the option to use real money to open crates. At that point I no longer trust the publisher.

The biggest issue for me is that they lock some of the best cars in the game behind the loot crates, and that is a problem. It's just as bad as unicorn cars from the old days.

Back