Crashplan Is Exiting the Consumer Market

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Crashplan will no longer offer the consumer version of their product, CrashPlan for Home. All existing agreements will be honored, but the company will no longer renew any consumer subscriptions, nor sign up any new consumers for the home plan. Additional insight on the decision may be found at this Code42 blog posting.

Code42 will honor all existing CrashPlan for Home subscriptions, and will wind down support of CrashPlan for Home on Oct. 22, 2018. Its consumer customers will be offered extended subscriptions and special discounts throughout the transition, as well as dedicated support, resources and choices to transition to a new backup solution. To do this, Code42 selected Carbonite as its exclusive referral partner for CrashPlan for Home customers, offering a seamless transition path for those looking for personal backup.

I have used them for a few years now. What solutions are you guys using? I have local backups but like having another copy in the cloud. I'm mainly backing up photos and personal documents.

My 5 year sub ends this year. Sucks that I need to reupload everything to someone else.

But what I hated about crashplan is that it is hard to know if files have really been uploaded. I add crap all the time and the control panel tells me stuff like last backup was a day ago.
Thankfully I've never had a crash because I may just find out the hard way.

I used Carbontie before then and I like that files that are backed up have a check mark in Explorer so you know for sure. I see now they don't back up video files which sucks. I need to look for other options. I've really even considered just upgrading One Drive to a tera byte, you get Office 365 too.

I have 1.5 terabytes of family pictures and videos mostly, now have to figure out my options. I've been happy with crashplan, hate this change.

Any suggestions?

Yep I've been using crashplan for years and have no idea what to go to now. I guess I'll look at carbonite and backblaze. Hopefully they support windows server

I use backblaze with personal encryption. They probably have a backdoor but meh w/e its worth the safety of keeping the files around.

1.5TB with one drive is simply not enough. Also one drive, when I last used it, would copy your files to one folder...a big no go for me since I have about 2TB of data to backup right now.

Amazon drive was garbage - the "app" they made you use pretty much made using it with anything other than photos pointless.

Bitcasa - may they burn in hell forever.

Carbonite - never used them but I dislike the explorer checkmark integration.

5 Steps to Succesfully backing up your data

1. Purchase a domain (mybackupdomain.com)
2. Buy a google business plan for 5 users
3. Register your domain with Google business
4. Upload EVERYTHING to your business account because google=unlimited
5. PROFIT or LONGISLAND TIME!

for the $500/yr or less you'll get FLAWLESS backups with UNLIMITED space and speed and access everywhere that google is.

5 Steps to Succesfully backing up your data

1. Purchase a domain (mybackupdomain.com)
2. Buy a google business plan for 5 users
3. Register your domain with Google business
4. Upload EVERYTHING to your business account because google=unlimited
5. PROFIT or LONGISLAND TIME!

for the $500/yr or less you'll get FLAWLESS backups with UNLIMITED space and speed and access everywhere that google is.

This is what I plan to do once my actual business takes off a bit more. In fact I have steps 1 and 3 done ;). Though the interface for google drive is not that great for backups of non photos/videos.

I like Backblaze, I've been with them nearly two years now. The backups are fast (over 100mbit regularly for me,) downloads are a bit clunky as it has to make a .zip of what you want to grab. I've got nearly 19TB uploaded to them now.

This is what I plan to do once my actual business takes off a bit more. In fact I have steps 1 and 3 done ;). Though the interface for google drive is not that great for backups of non photos/videos.

This is unfortunately the 'negative' side of Google Business. It works, but juuuuusssstttt not as good as other platforms.

Can I ask a question? Why do you all use online backups? Why not a packaged NAS solution like Synology or Drobo? And for offsite storage in case of total loss you can either replicate to another NAS, or just do a NAS backup to an external drive and sneaker net it to your office once a month or so.

I use SOSOnlineBackup. I don't see anyone here talk about it but I haven't had any issues.

I like Backblaze, I've been with them nearly two years now. The backups are fast (over 100mbit regularly for me,) downloads are a bit clunky as it has to make a .zip of what you want to grab. I've got nearly 19TB uploaded to them now.

19TB. I'm curious what storage solution are you using for your data? Is it Windows based? If not, how were you able to backup all the data to Backblaze? When I last looked at them they only supported Windows and Mac clients and don't support backups from network drives, so I have no way to backup the data on my Synology NAS directly. Crashplan supported a Linux client that I could mount the NAS for backup purposes.

I see that Backblaze now supports direct backup from Synology using their B2 product, but this will be very expensive for 16-20TB of files.

I read the actual post on crashplan.com

It says that if you are a current customer, your account has been extended 60 days for time to migrate.
You can migrate to crashplan business today and it will automatically transfer your home account to business.
The business plan is usually $10 a month but for members of home, they will give you the first 12 months of business for 75% off.

If this is true, I am going to do that just so I don't have to worry about uploading to a new service for another year.

Can I ask a question? Why do you all use online backups? Why not a packaged NAS solution like Synology or Drobo? And for offsite storage in case of total loss you can either replicate to another NAS, or just do a NAS backup to an external drive and sneaker net it to your office once a month or so.

Because I'll never do it. It sounds great, set myself a notification to take it offsite every month, and then I won't.

Unlimited storage 5 bucks a month

That... That is... Hmm.

19TB. I'm curious what storage solution are you using for your data? Is it Windows based? If not, how were you able to backup all the data to Backblaze? When I last looked at them they only supported Windows and Mac clients and don't support backups from network drives, so I have no way to backup the data on my Synology NAS directly. Crashplan supported a Linux client that I could mount the NAS for backup purposes.

I see that Backblaze now supports direct backup from Synology using their B2 product, but this will be very expensive for 16-20TB of files.

My data is on a RAID 6 array on an Areca 1220 controller, 8x 4TB drives formatted NTFS on Windows 7. I have 9x of the 8TB WD Easystores I will be adding to my server somehow, not sure my solution to that problem yet. Being able to backup to Backblaze is one of the things holding back a lot of solutions for me. Yes Backblaze is limiting in that regard, I pretty much have to have local drives for everything.

Man that would take a long time to backup all my data once a month locally. I keep a secondary local backup of my critical data, but certainly not the bulk of it. My 'primary' backup solution is Backblaze, because it's pretty much automated and covers everything within about 24 hours. I think buying a secondary NAS to house this all remotely would be very expensive. Since the primary copy of my data lines on a RAID 6 array, I have a pretty low likelyhood of having to actually USE my backups outside of fire/theft/three simultaneous drive failures.

My data is on a RAID 6 array on an Areca 1220 controller, 8x 4TB drives formatted NTFS on Windows 7. I have 9x of the 8TB WD Easystores I will be adding to my server somehow, not sure my solution to that problem yet. Being able to backup to Backblaze is one of the things holding back a lot of solutions for me. Yes Backblaze is limiting in that regard, I pretty much have to have local drives for everything.

Thanks for the details. That explains it. You have a Windows based solution which works well with them. Looks like I'm about to spend a lot of time researching options.

$5/month to set it and forget it.

They are offering a discount with Carbonite, the regular price for a year of Carbonite's basic plan is the same as Crashplan, however the key thing is that Carbonite does not support Windows Server platforms - which is what I back up My WHS backs up all my machines plus is a huge (14TB) file repository, which I've been backing up for years with Crashplan. Carbonite would make me go to a business plan. Their cheapest business plan is twice the cost of the Crashplan small business plan, AND limits you to 250GB of data. No thank you, as of now I will be just switching to Crashplan's small business plan, which for $120/yr is unlimited. No super rush, I have until next year, my Crashplan subscription doesn't expire until NEXT September. If the data transfers over, it's really a no-brainer, as I do NOT want to seed all that again.

I use SpiderOak, all encrypted zero-knowledge. Just don't forget your password, you are mega boned if you do.

Reddit users are saying Carbonite wont let them migrate over because they are using too much data. Must get a business account. Carbonite may not be a viable option. Backblaze requires that you manually select videos to upload.

Sneakernetting personal hard drives into a financial company is a good way to get fired.

Just remember, everyone uses storage differently :) For me, after losing files *twice* my wife said no more. All data in our house is stored on a storage server (using ZFS), then backed up to a secondary server (HP N54L running XPEnology), and critical files like documents and photos are backed up to a DroboPro, along with VM images. So for local.. I'm covered. At one point I tried the "copy to external and put in fire safe" approach.. and I think I remembered to do that 3-4 times in one year. If it requires a manual process or remembering to do it.. it's not going to happen in our house. If it isn't offsite, it's pretty much worthless to me.

Sure, some people have the option of putting another NAS or whatever at another location, but I don't have any immediate family with a data connection that would handle that, can't colo it at the office, and the few people I would trust have Comcast like me and don't want to worry about the bandwidth usage.

So far it looks like I still have 8 months on my current plan. Don't know if I'm going to switch to their small business version, even if it finishes this year, then gives me another year at what... $2.50 a month (75% off). If I was on Backblaze it would suck with me getting ready to move. With Crashplan, I shut down the server and the data stays on their end without any worries. According to support, they might require me to do a small restore after 6 months, but otherwise all the data remains. With Backblaze, my understanding is that if the server doesn't sync within 30 days... poof all data is deleted on their end, which is BS.

I use Crashplan (7tb backed up to the cloud), and when I clicked the link to see about migrating to their new small business plan I saw this:

"Continue your backups without starting over. You can migrate your cloud backups (5 TB or smaller) and all local backups."

So even if I stuck with them, I would have to reupload everything allllllllllllll over again.
Im taking my money elsewhere.

Reddit users are saying Carbonite wont let them migrate over because they are using too much data. Must get a business account. Carbonite may not be a viable option. Backblaze requires that you manually select videos to upload.

Where did you get this information from? With Backblaze it uploads EVERYTHING on C:\ by default, you select what folders/drives/file types to NOT upload.

Add me to the list. I loved the local backup. Not sure what to replace it with.

I already have a local machine and external drives... I.e. sunk costs. I'd rather simply repurpose what I already have in place and working.

I have:
1 desktop
3 laptops
1 home "server"

I want something that will allow me to back up all 4 devices to a single location on the server, automatically and incrementally, then back up that location to an external drive. Easy, simple duplicate backup with a "grab n go" capability.

Key is low maintenance, gui, preferably with alerts via email when there is an issue.

Any recommendations?
(I DO NOT WANT CLOUD BACKUP.)

With black blaze can you backup network drives? It won't work with linux which is a major setback, and all my files are on ZFS.

I already have a local machine and external drives... I.e. sunk costs. I'd rather simply repurpose what I already have in place and working.

I have:
1 desktop
3 laptops
1 home "server"

I want something that will allow me to back up all 4 devices to a single location on the server, automatically and incrementally, then back up that location to an external drive. Easy, simple duplicate backup with a "grab n go" capability.

Key is low maintenance, gui, preferably with alerts via email when there is an issue.

Any recommendations?

Could check out Veeam backup. Acronis maybe.

My PCs use native backup tools to a networked share which is RAID1. That volume is then backed up to an external drive using Acronis.

I have:
1 desktop
3 laptops
1 home "server"

Any recommendations?
I think I'm going to re-visit bacula again & see how it is coming along.

Another option I'm currently playing is running my own "cloud" vm (via owncloud/nextcloud) and then backing up the entire vm nightly. Unfortunately picking something out of an "old backup" is timeconsuming...

They are offering a discount with Carbonite, the regular price for a year of Carbonite's basic plan is the same as Crashplan, however the key thing is that Carbonite does not support Windows Server platforms - which is what I back up My WHS backs up all my machines plus is a huge (14TB) file repository, which I've been backing up for years with Crashplan. Carbonite would make me go to a business plan. Their cheapest business plan is twice the cost of the Crashplan small business plan, AND limits you to 250GB of data. No thank you, as of now I will be just switching to Crashplan's small business plan, which for $120/yr is unlimited. No super rush, I have until next year, my Crashplan subscription doesn't expire until NEXT September. If the data transfers over, it's really a no-brainer, as I do NOT want to seed all that again.

More than likely, you can work around that by mapping a network drive. However, you'll have a harder time getting around the restriction on video files. For that, you'll have to get the $80.00 plan or alternatively you might be able to rename all your files or put them in a zip file or using your current copy of crashplan, make a local backup and then back that archive up to the cloud.

Not sure what that means. There's no limit on the amount of data you can backup on Carbonite and they don't having anything called a business plan. There is a limitation on backing up video files.

Last edited:
With black blaze can you backup network drives? It won't work with linux which is a major setback, and all my files are on ZFS.
Backblaze does NOT back up networked drives, and it only backs up specific NAS devices (Synology I believe.) Oddly enough, this is actually keeping me from using ZFS and similar linux solutions for my next array.

FWIW, it looks like you can still download crashplan at https://www.crashplan.com/en-us/download/ I realize this doesn't help with cloud backups, but if you're willing to trust that your house and a relatives house won't burn down at the same time (assumes you live in different cities/states), I believe you can put a NAS offsite and backup to it (and vice versa).

FWIW, it looks like you can still download crashplan at https://www.crashplan.com/en-us/download/ I realize this doesn't help with cloud backups, but if you're willing to trust that your house and a relatives house won't burn down at the same time (assumes you live in different cities/states), I believe you can put a NAS offsite and backup to it (and vice versa).

Unfortunately won't work. Crashplan Home requires an account to back up to local storage or a another PC. They won't be creating any new accounts and once your existing account expires, you've won't be able to restore from your local or remote PC backups.

Unfortunately won't work. Crashplan Home requires an account to back up to local storage or a another PC. They won't be creating any new accounts and once your existing account expires, you've won't be able to restore from your local or remote PC backups.
I thought local backup was free/required no paid subscription (that's what I recall when I researched it a year or so back).

Edit: I just created an account with the app and it appears to work...even gives me 30 days of cloud backup (but no ability to extend the subscription).

crashplanOptions.JPG

Last edited:
Just renewed the Backblaze for another two years.. It's been great. Does not backup the NAS which is sort of an issue, so I just put the stuff on the internal HDD.

Back