CrashPlan Black Friday Sale

sn_85

[H]ard|Gawd
I guess this could go in the Hot Deals section but I thought it would be more pertinent here. CrashPlan is having a ridiculous BF sale. You can get their 2-10 computer with unlimited data backup for 1 year at 98% off right now. That's $2.88. Their single computer unlimited plan is $1.20 for 1 year. Apparently their prices go up every 2 hours so it's best to jump on it ASAP.

https://www.crashplan.com/bigsale/

Thanks--this is great timing, I was just evaluating them for the first month free. Don't know if I'll end up staying with them full-price after one year, one year for ~two bucks, I can get on board with... :)

Got it for around $8 - still one hell of a deal. I'll have to set up quite a few PCs with it. Now, if SpiderOak had a similar deal, I'd be set for a little while...at least until OwnCloud 5 comes out!

In for $14 for the family plan. The HUGE thing is linux support. Most of my computers are linux so This is very nice!

Not sure the family plan is enough computers however...

android phone + tablet = 2
2 laptops (both dual boot to windows) for me, 2 desktops (1 dual boot to windows) = 7
wife = 2 laptops, 1 desktop = 3

Of all the deals I took advantage of, this one is perhaps the best. $2.88 for a year is amazing. Thanks for the post!

Nice link. Something to note though is that it is for first time buyers only. I thought for a second there that I was going to be able to add a few more years to my account.

its maxed out my 50meg pipe when restoring before. unless you need more then 20 gigs in a few hours or a total restore i would say its ok.

I did have some problems early on backed up some files and when i went to restore them it failed, turns out they had a bug in the client after it was upgraded that prevented restore of files from an earlier client. I'm glad i actually didn't need the files and that i have two destinations for backup.

there are numerous blogs and such that mention failures and issues backing up and restoring and for 95% of them I can say the user is complaining about stuff they can fix on their own if they read the documentation/faqs and clicked around in the client. One example is complaining of upload speed, well its limited by default in the client so change it.

that being said, I have two backups one to the fileserver one to their "cloud" and I'm thinking about getting an external drive. and every restore for the last year or so has worked perfectly.

I've got 9TB on their servers myself. So there is another data point for you. There service, features, and price are excellent.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this , but I just don't get how you guys like utilizing the cloud and online back up?

I'm not paranoid, but I just never liked the idea of my personal information, and family pictures or whatever, not being physically in my surroundings...

I have 2 3tb external drives that mirror backup each other for redundancy, and if I need more storage, I'll buy a few more....

U guys that have 15tb or more are just frekkin' insane as I couldn't even fathom needing that much storage to store my personal docs/pics/etc.

Anyway, I was just wondering how you guys feel about a company holding onto your data? I know they use encryption software, and for the most part it's safe...it's just the fact that now all my important info is out (There) and not with me....

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this , but I just don't get how you guys like utilizing the cloud and online back up?

I'm not paranoid, but I just never liked the idea of my personal information, and family pictures or whatever, not being physically in my surroundings...

I have 2 3tb external drives that mirror backup each other for redundancy, and if I need more storage, I'll buy a few more....

U guys that have 15tb or more are just frekkin' insane as I couldn't even fathom needing that much storage to store my personal docs/pics/etc.

Anyway, I was just wondering how you guys feel about a company holding onto your data? I know they use encryption software, and for the most part it's safe...it's just the fact that now all my important info is out (There) and not with me....

I'm far more worried about a disaster or break-in causing me to lose all my personal data that is at my home than I am about some random person gaining access to this stuff. It's got immeasurable value to me. Family pictures? Not so much to anyone else, and hardly worth their time to gain access to.

I bought a 4 year family crashplan plan a month ago at full price. Ugg. For what it's worth, their upload speeds can suck. It will be a long time before my data is all uploaded.

We do have our storage with us. The primary copy is on our own servers.

Crashplan is the spare copy, the backup.

Crashplan allows you to generate your own private key in which your data is encrypted with before upload.

Nobody, not even crashplan employees could possibly decrypt and read any of your data.

The encryption is blowfish utilizing a 448bit key. It's extremely secure.

http://www.schneier.com/blowfish.html

To answer your question. I like it because of the cost. It only costs me $34 a year to backup my 9TB and growing set of data.

It's also really convenient to be able to access my data at high speed remotely from their servers.

Honestly; i have 500gb of photos. Vacations/family/etc. If my house burns down; i have the 'clean' ones on flickr; but if the house burns down; I'd lose allot.

oh

backup.png

Thought that had UK disk shipping... they don't :(

oh

backup.png

Thought that had UK disk shipping... they don't :(

It took me 6 months to seed my 9TB backup to them on my 5mbit upload. It's not as bad as it sounds since it's set and forget. Well it's set and forget on a server which is what I use. I don't have to see or care about the CrashPlan client and with proper QoS settings in the router It can upload at full speed without it affecting day-to-day traffic.

What I would recommend is try to break up those BIG seeds into smaller ones. Have the smaller most important data seeded FIRST, once it is seeded add a less important one, etc.

I actually had to do this back when Comcast had there 250GB data cap to prevent going over the data cap. I made sure to just seed a section no more than 200GB then when the next month rolled around I added the next section.

I bought a 4 year family crashplan plan a month ago at full price. Ugg. For what it's worth, their upload speeds can suck. It will be a long time before my data is all uploaded.

I've had an account with them for about a year now (so unfortunately, no sale price for me...), and what I found is that if you manually specify the upload speeds in the client to match what you have available, it will almost always be able to reach that speed.

I'm in the states, using a time warner RR connection with 5Mbit up. YMMV depending on location, of course.

Crashplan allows you to generate your own private key in which your data is encrypted with before upload.

Nobody, not even crashplan employees could possibly decrypt and read any of your data.

To add one thing to this, if purchasing a family account you basically have a license for 10 machines to back up to the CrashPlan cloud. There are varying levels of security that can be applied to the backed up data (again, all on the client side, so attacks against the security of your data would either be brute-force in nature, or aimed at the client), with the exception of the 448 (i think)-bit key. Different keys can be specified on each client, so even among "family members", they wouldn't have access to each others files.

Anyone used CrashPlan pro or enterprise? I'm wondering if they have any 'restore to VMs in the cloud' options?

I have fios and am getting 700-800 kbps... This is pathetic lulz, barely trickling <3% of my connection. I don't know that I'll keep this, waste of time.

BTW if you use the carbonite link, you get a free first year. search slick deals

I have fios and am getting 700-800 kbps... This is pathetic lulz, barely trickling <3% of my connection. I don't know that I'll keep this, waste of time.

BTW if you use the carbonite link, you get a free first year. search slick deals

That's definitely not normal. In the 1 year of using Crashplan myself so far I've never seen under 4.5mbps upload. My max is 5mbit so the limit is definitely my end. I know some of my friends with faster connections and it maxes out their connection too. Even people in Europe get several mbps to the US servers.

Carbonite is probably a fine service too, but they are far from unlimited if that matters.

I am usually in the 15-25Mbps range. Check out the speed settings and process priority.

I turned off all of the throttling settings after having set it to 20000 kbps at first, messed with buffer sizes, turned off compression. I'm using the linux client on my home file server fwiw...

I'm seeing quite a few comments on their community board, so maybe it's due to all the new users this weekend? I don't know, but this is terrible, I really don't think it's anything in my set up... The java process they seem to be using is using <5% cpu. It's just really not doing much.

Also the carbonite link was for a free year of crashplan, as a way to attract customers from carbonite.

To answer your question. I like it because of the cost. It only costs me $34 a year to backup my 9TB and growing set of data.

It's also really convenient to be able to access my data at high speed remotely from their servers.

This. Not the default setting but you have the option to generate your own 448 bit key for all data they store. No one of their end will able to read it or decrypt it, regardless of their level of access. That also means you are SOL if you lose your key. :)

People have already mentioned Linux support which is great...and that leads to the other great thing (for me) which is Solaris support! I can push backups through my Crashplan account directly to a ZFS server either locally or across the internets. I have two offsite backups, one with Crahplan themselves and one at my job on our company NAS (Open Indiana machine). The NAS runs the Solaris client.

Mine is up to 1.2 Mbps now and it has been for most of the day, this is still pretty pathetic, it's only uploaded 25GB total, I mean if I wanted to use it as just a picture backup or something this would be fine, but it's not going to work for me for backing up system images...

if you really want to make it fly, turn off compression, encryption, de-duplication, other wise it takes what it takes. Also not having the ports open, or a strict NAT router will cause slowness too.

This. Not the default setting but you have the option to generate your own 448 bit key for all data they store. No one of their end will able to read it or decrypt it, regardless of their level of access. That also means you are SOL if you lose your key. :)

People have already mentioned Linux support which is great...and that leads to the other great thing (for me) which is Solaris support! I can push backups through my Crashplan account directly to a ZFS server either locally or across the internets. I have two offsite backups, one with Crahplan themselves and one at my job on our company NAS (Open Indiana machine). The NAS runs the Solaris client.

I would have to agree, they have great cross platform support and the headless option with ssh port forwarding is freaking awesome.

if you really want to make it fly, turn off compression, encryption, de-duplication, other wise it takes what it takes. Also not having the ports open, or a strict NAT router will cause slowness too.

I've got compression on, encryption on, and de-duplication at full and it's at least still maxing out my 5mbit upload. Not sure how it affects faster speeds though.

I even have all it's bandwidth set to bulk priority in my router which means it only maxes out my upload when it's not being used for something else which his most of the time anyways, but it scales it down perfectly when I start another upload to something else.

Well compression and encryption should both be client side, but fwiw I did turn off compression and dedup. I will not be turning off encryption though.

Yes the box is behind a NAT, but I don't see how that would limit it to speeds varying mostly time of day it would seem from 800 kbps - 1.2Mbps... Seems much more likely it's on there end. 35/35 fios connection.

Considering you have many people saying they don't have an issue uploading at multi-megabit speed it is more likely the issue is on your end.

I have been uploading at 4Mbit for days now.

But yet I can open up the browser and run a speedtest and get 25+ over and over both ways in a single http thread. Yep, totally my nat settings.

Or more likely they have more than one server :eek:, and I along with many many others (see their forums or facebook page) are stuck on slow ones making it nearly unusable.

Back