Crashplan 1TB limit?

Mekanic01

Gawd
I'm having an issue that is really bothering me. I'm running Crashplan to backup roughly 3TB of data, most of which being my RAW photos. According to tech support, the software is designed to stop at 1TB. The workaround that they gave me, was to enter "java mx 2560, deauthorize, restart" into the code to open it to unlimited.

While that is fine, it can be a pain in the ass, especially when I restart after doing updates, etc. The software is supposed to run on restart, and it doesn't. Which means not only do I have to start it, I have to enter the code, restart the software and login again, then run it into the tray. When I run the software, if I don't run the code right away, it will crash before it finishes the system scan.

I have tried reinstalling the software, but that hasn't helped. Does anybody have a solution to keep the code embedded?

Thanks.

I'm guessing you are running out of memory for the Java service they run in the background. I have grown to over 5TB backed up and ran into this problem a long time ago. Really wish there software would automatically adjust this setting in the setup INI file.

You can modify the CrashPlanService.ini file in the C:\Program Files\CrashPlan directory.

1. Change -Xmx512M to -Xmx8000M
The line in the file is:
Virtual Machine Parameters=-Xrs -Xms15M -Xmx8000M -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300

2. Restart your computer.
3. Check task manager, enable viewing all tasks, see if the service climbs up in useage and stays open.

This changes it so it can use up to 8GB of ram. You probably don't need it this high, but what the heck play it safe, and if it doesn't need it, it won't use it and the ram will be free for other programs.

I'm guessing you are running out of memory for the Java service they run in the background. I have grown to over 5TB backed up and ran into this problem a long time ago. Really wish there software would automatically adjust this setting in the setup INI file.

You can modify the CrashPlanService.ini file in the C:\Program Files\CrashPlan directory.

The line in the file is:

3. Check task manager, enable viewing all tasks, see if the service climbs up in useage and stays open.

This changes it so it can use up to 8GB of ram. You probably don't need it this high, but what the heck play it safe, and if it doesn't need it, it won't use it and the ram will be free for other programs.
Great reply. I'm going to do this ahead of time.

The line in the file is:

Thank you!

CrashPlan uses Java????? I guess I can add that to the list of software I will avoid.

The line in the file is:

Do you know what this looks like in a linux world? I've thrown 8gb ram at this thing, it just crawls to upload.

Edit: Looks like I found it, /usr/local/crashplan/bin/run.conf

SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx2560m -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false"
GUI_JAVA_OPTS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanDesktop -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx512m -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false"

So it looks like on the service side set Xmx from 2560m to 4000M, or give it more ram and try a higher value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know what this looks like in a linux world? I've thrown 8gb ram at this thing, it just crawls to upload.

Edit: Looks like I found it, /usr/local/crashplan/bin/run.conf

SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx2560m -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false"
GUI_JAVA_OPTS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanDesktop -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx512m -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false"

So it looks like on the service side set Xmx from 2560m to 4000M, or give it more ram and try a higher value.

More ram won't help the upload speed. In the GUI make sure on the Settings --> Network tab that you have chosen None as the sending rate for the "sending rate" when away and present. You may also want to increase the amount of CPU that Crashplan can use when you are present (on the General tab in settings), because by default Crashplan tries to compress the files it is sending so that more files get backed up quicker, so giving more cpu may help the upload rate. Lastly keep in mind that the upload speed is effected by the internet connections between you and Crashplan, your service providers internet upload speed, and how many other users are uploading to the same server as you.

Make More ram helps the service not crap out when it needs more ram than the default value. Setting 4000m on the service side is likely a good minimum for someone who has a lot of files. I have seen mine go higher though, but it is likely because I have 1 million items selected in the backup. Right now my install is sitting there, and appears to be doing no checks at the moment, and it is using 3.5GB.

If you have a lot of ram, just set a higher amount than 4000. It will only use that much in rare cases when it does its maintenance scans.

Network tab is set to none, and the CPU is set to allow 100%, a speed test reports 30+mbps upload. It just grinds at 1.7mbps relentlessly. BEfore I had 1tb of data it was cruising at 14-24mbps. Backup is 4.4tb and about 150k files.

Network tab is set to none, and the CPU is set to allow 100%, a speed test reports 30+mbps upload. It just grinds at 1.7mbps relentlessly. BEfore I had 1tb of data it was cruising at 14-24mbps. Backup is 4.4tb and about 150k files.

Might there be a chance you are mixing up little "b" and big "B" in MB/s vs Mb/s? I doubt you are mixing it up, since you have a bajillion posts on here and probably know your computer inside and out -- I'm thinking that the Crashplan interface is being confusing in some way, or you got stuck on a slow server (likely it'll fill up and you'll get moved to another hopefully faster one soon).

1.7MB/s would be using about half your upload, since 30Mb/s converts to 3.75MB/s

I'm not uploading anything at the moment, so I can't check, but I remember that hovering over the Crashplan icon on the bottom right would display it in one format, and the GUI would display it in the other.

megabits per second. Watching it just idle through the router.

Back