Crashing when switching sources on AVR

Krazypoloc

Gawd
Ok guys I recently revamped my HTPC that I have in my basement H/T. I built the machine in my office and didn't have any issues clocking it to a nice stable 3.0GHz. When I moved it into its final resting place in my rack in the basement I started getting weird issues. If I change the source/input on my Yamaha the PC BSOD's and reboots itself. I know this because if I switch the input back and forth real fast I see the BSOD. The PC is connected to the AVR via HDMI and a toslink cable for the audio. Any ideas?

EVGA 750i SLI
E6320
2 x 9600GT's in SLI
2GB DDR2 663
Corsair 750 PSU
Windows 7 X64 Ultimate

Yamaha RX-V663
Panasonic 50" 1080p Plasma TV connected to AVR via HDMI

So I got a little farther on this.....turns out its not when I toggle inputs...when I turn off/on the reveiver the PC BSOD's. Any thoughts?

The blue screen will normally tell you what driver caused the BSOD.

Without knowing much else it sounds like an nVidia driver issue that happens when it loses the HDCP handshake. My HTPC runs an integrated 9400 without issue so my first instinct is that the issue may reside in the SLI setup. The order I would proceed in your case would be:

A.) Roll back all of your overclocks.

1.) Install latest drivers. (minimize possible driver issues)
2.) Pull 1 card so that you aren't running an SLI. (eliminate SLI as a factor)
3.) Swap cards. (eliminate the video cards as the source of the problem.

4.) Test system on other HDMI displays / switchers (perhaps your Yamaha has some sort of flaw in it's handshake routine)

As it stands right now, you simply have too many variables that could be the cause of the issue. If you thoroughly test the PC and you still have these issues, I'd check for firmware updates for the Yamaha. It is relatively common for AV makers to release new firmware to fix bugs in their software.

Last edited:
Thanks Phatal, I appreciate the feedback.

I have already tried the CPU @stock and it does the same thing....I agree and I originally suspected a handshake issue as well....it just dawned on me that I am using an ATI DVI>HDMI converter..I will try the Nvidia one when I get home as well as break the SLI and see if that helps. I will also check and see what the BSOD code is....I know all of these troubleshooting steps already I'm just being lazy and hoping someone with a similar setup has had this issue. :)

Why are you using the AVR? Do you have dirty power coming into that room? Is it just an AVR or is it a UPS or surge protector as well?

Try both plugging the PC into the wall and the receiver into the AVR and plugging the receiver into the wall and the PC into the AVR and see what happens.

Why are you using the AVR? Do you have dirty power coming into that room? Is it just an AVR or is it a UPS or surge protector as well?

Try both plugging the PC into the wall and the receiver into the AVR and plugging the receiver into the wall and the PC into the AVR and see what happens.

I think your confused. The receiver is the AVR (AVR=Audio Video Receiver).

AVR= http://www.amazon.com/APC-LE600-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/dp/B00009RA5Z

I have run into improper grounding causing oddball problems between copper connected components (This is why I prefer toslink). I remember one audio tech running a separate ground wire to case screws on each component to cut down on interference, effectively daisy chaining all components.

Could be faulty receiver as well, spiking when turned on/switching inputs.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
AVR= http://www.amazon.com/APC-LE600-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/dp/B00009RA5Z

I have run into improper grounding causing oddball problems between copper connected components (This is why I prefer toslink). I remember one audio tech running a separate ground wire to case screws on each component to cut down on interference, effectively daisy chaining all components.

Could be faulty receiver as well, spiking when turned on/switching inputs.

Thanks....it didn't do this until I recently changed hardware. I think its something in the video drivers, I didn't get a chance to do any troubleshooting last night though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back