crappy bfg 7800 gtx ... poor overclock

jetjaguar

2[H]4U
so far i have been messing around with it .. and the best i seem to be able to do
on the core is 495mhz .. mem couldnt even do 1400 .. air flow in case could be the problem .. waiting on some new fans .. temps are pretty high ..

i see people on here on other forums getting like 525 core and like 1450+ on stock coolers .. i dunno how they are doing it :mad:

how is the card crappy. anyone should feel lucky getting 1mhz more.

o/c is a privlage not a right.

LOL, seriously? It seems like you're getting a pretty good overclock that is on par with what most others are getting. I don't think I've seen anyone claim upwards of 525 / 1400 without water cooling and/or volt mods.

jetjaguar said:
so far i have been messing around with it .. and the best i seem to be able to do
on the core is 495mhz .. mem couldnt even do 1400 .. air flow in case could be the problem .. waiting on some new fans .. temps are pretty high ..

i see people on here on other forums getting like 525 core and like 1450+ on stock coolers .. i dunno how they are doing it :mad:

People who claim 525 on air are probably lying or not stable (woot, yeah..they passed one bench of 3dmark05...lets see them loop it). The BFG is already a 7% OC on the core and 8% on the memory. You already have an OC'd card. The XFX UBER series is cherry picked.

OC'ing is luck...not a right.

-tReP

495 sounds okay to me.

Ditto on the cherry picking by XFX. XFX is selling a pre-OC'd card at 490/1300 Mem. They're also selling cards pre-OC'd at 450/1250---these are probably cards that couldn't OC to the 490/1300 for their sales. I doubt that OC'ing the 490 XFX card will yield much higher a number.

Anyway, what do the real world numbers in terms of FPS show for your 495 vs 460 OC?

I miss Gainward's Golden Sample Cards in the US :( Big Tears. I had a 4600Ti GS and have an AGP 6800 GT GS.

What, a 7800GTX at stock isn't fast enough for you? Cripe, give it to me, I'll appreciate it for what it is.

NACZ3 said:
I miss Gainward's Golden Sample Cards in the US :( Big Tears. I had a 4600Ti GS and have an AGP 6800 GT GS.

I had a Golden Sample GeForce 3 Ti500... mmm mmm it was nice.

there is a guy on ocforums .. who on stock cooling swears his evga 7800gtx is like 525 core and 1450 or 90 mem .. which peak temps hit 50C lol ..

my car stock idled at 50c and peaked in the 60s .. now overclocked it idles at 55c and hits 76C ... granted i have horrible case air flow right now .. which is most likely the cause .. bfg told me .. that is nothing to worry about .. only worry when u hit upper 90s .. since they say they see people idling in the 70s and peaking in the 90s

of course stock its fast enough as is .. i just wanted to see how far i could go on stock cooling ..

are there any cooling options for air on the 7800gtx .. mostly i only see people
going straight to water

I'm finding it difficult to feel a lot of sympathy for a scenario in which a card that's as good as 2 6800 ultras in SLI, all by itself at stock speeds, can't OC. I'm just not feeling the sympathy, I'm sorry.

If it makes you feel better, there isn't a game on the market that can really tax even a 6800 GT, much less an Ultra or, for goodness sakes, a 7800GTX. Count yourself lucky.

Jason

jetjaguar said:

Are you aware of this fact?
When you start using a 3D application all 7800 GTXs increase their clock speed by 40Mhz over what you set it at.

So if you set it at 480 and run 3DMark05, 3DMark will read the core speed as 520.

Read about it here.

This is the [H]ard|Forum GTX leader board I made today.
All the core speeds on this list are 40Mhz higher than what the user set it at.
gtxleaderboard1jb.jpg

I'd be happy if mine would go to 490core. I get 470mhz on a good day, 460mhz for 24/7 gaming.

People who complain about having the absolute top end card on the market are weird.

When you dont have enough food to eat, or a decent place to sleep at night, then you can complain about something. Bitching about your "crappy" OC on your 600 buck video card just kinda leaves me cold.

Poor baby.

jetjaguar said:
yeah it sucks .. most people are getting over 500 on air with no problems :mad:

I think people talk a lot of s**t and put number in their sigs that are not always true... your OCs are good. Now, stop whining and go game!! :)

Yeah, mine with the stock cooler (in my sig) would only do 500MHz stable and hit 80C when gaming, (This is one of the XFX's that defaults to 490MHz core) I stuck the L06 Koolance waterblock on it and some BGA Cu ramsinks from frozenCPU on it to get where I am at...it runs pretty hot even for watercooling...at peak it can hit 50C (like in Doom 3) but normally, with HL2, BF2 etc it is around 46-47C on water. But I think heat is the main thing that holds these cards back, I was able to give 50 more on the core just by watercooling, the memory will do 1400 and bench 1400, but it is not stable, thus running it at 1350Mhz.

As always, mileage will vary...look at OPPAINTERS cherry picked 7800GTX reference boards on the extremesystems forums...his hit a lot higher on water, I think one of his cards was doing around 600+ on water...so it is all luck of the draw as well.

hifi

Back