Crappy battery? Bad drivers? Bad laptop? Completely confused.

zamardii12

2[H]4U
So, I just received a Dell G7 7590 not too long ago from the Dell Outlet (Certified Refurbished). I will post the specs at the bottom of this post.

First i'll say that I do have this laptop repasted and under-volted and is completely stable. I also am on the latest BIOS, drivers, and everything.

So here is what it going on... I wanted to do a battery rundown test so I plug the laptop in and charge it to 100%; after that I start up PCMark and I do the conventional battery life test which includes browsing the web, some office work, and light gaming. Here are my power save settings:

Screen brightness at 50%
Power Saver battery profile with max CPU usage at 25%
Battery Extender settings on in Dell Power Manager
With these settings... basically the battery life is around 2 hours and 40 minutes.

I want to add that before I got the G7 7590 with the below specs I had one with a RTX 2060 and a i7-8750H and the battery life for that one lasted easily at least 4-5 hours. So I am not sure what this is... My idle temps after this repaste are higher than the previous 7590... around 50c - 55c compared to 35-40c with the previous one so idk what's going on with that... maybe I need to redo the paste?

This PCWorld review said their i7-9750h RTX 2060 review unit lasted 4 hours... https://www.pcworld.com/article/3395956/dell-g7-15-7590-gaming-laptop-review.html

And this review with the i7-8750H and RTX 2070 gets 4 hours as well... https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-G7-17-7790-i7-8750H-RTX-2070-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.423934.0.html

I also just read a review of the Razer Blade with the exact same specs as mine (at the bottom) and they get over 6 hours of battery which is crazy b/c the Razer Blade 2019's battery is 80wh and mine is 90wh.

There must be something with the battery right? HWInfo shows wear is only 7.5% and it's a 90Wh compared to the Razer Blade reviewed that has 80Wh.

I chatted with Dell tech support. He asked me how many times i've charged the computer and I said twice. He said "Well, you will have to use the computer for 3 complete charging and discharging cycles before the battery starts working optimally." That sounds like bullshit to me.

Last thing I want to add is that the battery drains when running games. I could have the laptop plugged in and i'll unplug it from a gaming or benchmark session and the battery will have gone down some percentage points.

Laptop Specs:

• Dell G7 7590
  • 1080p 144hz display
  • i7-9750H
  • RTX 2080 Max-Q
  • 16GB Ram
  • 1TB nVME SSD
  • 90Wh battery

Back