Crap intel stock cooler retention mechanism?

MiXdNuTs

Gawd
Has anyone else had a bad experience attaching a stock intel HSF that comes with the core2 chips? My e6420 came with a HSF that would not clip into my DS3. I push in one side, and the opposite side pops out. When I finally get all sides in, one eventually pops off and my temp alarm goes off. And yes, I did turn the clips 90 degrees to lock it into place.

I didn't have this problem with DS3. Make sure you inspect the back of the MB that all the pins are in.

you actually turn them 90 deg. to unlock them.. if you leave them in the position they came in, they'll remain locked.. I'll upload pix when I get home from work tonight. :D

I personaly don't like the socket 775 heatsinks. Personaly I would just get a heatsink that has a bracket under the motherboard to screw it too. They work a lot better.

Leave them in the position that is opposite of the arrows.

You only twist to unlock it from the motherboard

Your retail processor came with an install guide, I hate to pull out RTFM but... RTFM

I thought that I did read the manual. Perhapse I read it wrong. I think my dyslexia may have been tweakin a little bit at the time.

Back