Craigslist find: i7 920. $80

My local area currently has a 960 w/ DX58S02 Extreme for $320. Both are supposedly unopened. Only reason I don't snag it is that I'm not a fan of the area he is located. Too many shady people. (our local crosses state lines)

I did however buy a 4runner on there a few years back for $2000. Gave it a really good detail inside and out. Then put $40 of mossy oak camo on the door panels. 3 Months later I had to sell it because of finances. It sold for $700 over what I paid. The guy drove 150 miles and never test drove it. Just handed me the cash and I handed over the title and keys. I asked him why and he said he liked the camo. LOL

CL is where the deals are, I have too much stuff from there to even list, but a few are a Corsair HX620 for $30 IIRC, an Antec 300 with 3 extra fans, all the accessories for $40 and a "fried" i7 860 for $20...

the i7 860 is a hilarious story, a while back I saw an i7 Dell XPS system for $80, complete system but the kicker was that the processor was fried (supposedly), I asked the guy if he was sure the cpu was fried and he said "yep, someone tested it for me and it wouldn't boot, they then bought a new motherboard to test it on just to make sure and it still wouldn't boot"...

I met him with no intentions of buying the system, I pretended to check out the system and then offered him $20 for the "fried" cpu, he broke out a screwdriver, gave it to me, and I took off the heatsink, gave him $20 and took the cpu with the intention of maybe someday finding a cheap 1366 motherboard and testing it...

while stopped at a red light I rubbed off the thermal paste and lo and behold it was an i7 860...lol, no motherboard needed now, I got home and replaced my i5 750 with it and it booted up and has been running in my rig ever since...

:D

my guess is that the guy who checked out the cpu for him thought i7 always = 1366 and bought a new 1366 motherboard to test it on and of course it wouldn't boot...

:D

Back