Craiglist deal of the day

bigddybn

Supreme [H]ardness
Picked up one of these for $40 bucks today from craigslist.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883109035

Was advertised as "broken" but just had some nagware on it. A quick nuke and boot and it's running like a champ.

He even included a basic wireless keyboard and mouse. System is going to replace the celeron based POS my mother is currently using. Should be a major upgrade.

i wish i was that lucky, but people around me on Craiglist, seem to be smoking crack. they put stuff on there p4 systems for like $200 and then some. like a gateway 7405 for $200. i mean they are smoking something. its crazy.

but am glad you lucked out like that

i wish i was that lucky, but people around me on Craiglist, seem to be smoking crack. they put stuff on there p4 systems for like $200 and then some. like a gateway 7405 for $200. i mean they are smoking something. its crazy.

Same on the Craigslist in my area
I see this
Dell Dimension 2400 $250
Works good

I've seen "deals" like that in the past and, in trying to keep my "good Karma" on the positive side, I've contacted the seller, told them that I work with computers (entirely too much), and that I'd be happy to take a look at it so they wouldn't have to lose it just because of some software issue.

Remarkably, I've had a very small number of people take me up on the offer - and I'm not charging them for it, seriously - but the majority of people that do put up those kinds of ads either a) just don't care to mess with it anymore for whatever reason and want it gone (in which I end up buying it outright for the insanely low price they're asking) or b) they have already replaced it with another machine and I still end up buying it for the insanely low price they're asking. ;)

Had a Dell Optiplex Core 2 Duo box w/2GB and a 320GB hard drive about a year ago (it was an older machine, of course but still rock solid and reliable) for $80, a complete Dell XPS P4 system w/19" LCD a few years ago (and the 5.1 speakers too) for $125, and many other situations like it.

You just have to be looking at craigslist at just the right time and wham, they'll be there. ;)

Nice deal! I got a dual core p4 server, 2gb ram, with a nice raid card, and 2x 250gb hard drives for $40 a year or so ago, it was a decent deal but I think yours is better.

the thing about CL is that you have to be on there 24/7 to be able to spot a great and then contact the buyer before someone else does.

I've gotten a few amazing deals by simply browsing at the right time. I missed out on an Asus 5970 for $250 a few weeks back :(

I picked up a Cosmos S and a Corsair 850hx a few weeks back for $150. Both in mint condition. Before that I found 2 dell inspiron 1525's for $25 each!

I got to 2 Dell Ultrasharp 1907fpv with PVA Panels in mint condition with all the wiring for 35 a piece. I'm quite happy.

I got a P4 2.26Ghz you can have for $50.

Ya, I notice that too, people way over price a lot of older hardware.

Whats sad is some people know they are way overpricing their hardware. I saw a i7 PC on CL for $3000, looked it up and it was worth half that brand new, so it wasn't even worth that used, its just crazy. I mean a P4 ~2+ ghz for $200?

Whats sad is some people know they are way overpricing their hardware. I saw a i7 PC on CL for $3000, looked it up and it was worth half that brand new, so it wasn't even worth that used, its just crazy. I mean a P4 ~2+ ghz for $200?

You mean like this. [email protected] 4000 obo lol

i bought a 32gb xoom today with a 32gb sd card also installed was the wifi and 3g-4g version with bluetooth motorola keyboard and docking station for $250

I topped my two 35 dollar Dell Ultrasharp monitors last week wtih this system I picked up off CL today.

3.0 GHZ Athlon II X4
2 Gig RAM
nvida 9600gt
msi a780L AM3 mobo
17 in LCD monitor
Brand new logitech keyboard and mouse

All for just 150 dollars!!!!

What a steal!

If you guys sell stuff on craigslist do you ever get weird calls from like automated services that have a person asking if the item you have for sale is available in their own voice but then it says press 1 if yes, or 2 if no? I had that happen a couple times and I thought it was dumb because obviously the person had to do something to get there voice asking the yes or no question. Why not actually call me.

One time I hit 2 for no and then the guy called me 10 seconds later asking me if I had really sold it. Sometimes I'd rather give it away then try to sell it, weird people out there. :p

There's always the other end where people lowball you for your parts...someone offered me $110 for a hd5850 and a 2tb wd green.

There's always the other end where people lowball you for your parts...someone offered me $110 for a hd5850 and a 2tb wd green.

Hey, your that guy that said no to me!!!!!!!!

j/k!

If you guys sell stuff on craigslist do you ever get weird calls from like automated services that have a person asking if the item you have for sale is available in their own voice but then it says press 1 if yes, or 2 if no? I had that happen a couple times and I thought it was dumb because obviously the person had to do something to get there voice asking the yes or no question. Why not actually call me.

One time I hit 2 for no and then the guy called me 10 seconds later asking me if I had really sold it. Sometimes I'd rather give it away then try to sell it, weird people out there. :p

Sorry but posting a phone number on craigslist is just all kinds of fail.

i would have to disagree with you on that, i mean sure it's like wearing t-shirt with arrow point at yourself and writing underneath saying "I AM WITH STUPID" on all caps.

i've even seen few having number like 1-two3O-987-threethreeeight nine. never tried that way so can't say it works, but hi, we do need stupid people in the world to make us look smarter ;)

picked up my z5500's for $100 on CL, thought it was a pretty good deal.

As for phone numbers- I always post my google voice number on there. No spam calls yet

No one said it was a number actually important to me or that I care that people have...

I would never put my cell number up on it.

I won't even respond to ads via txt with my actual cell number. Send them from google voice like Mr34727.

When I sell something on craigslist, the last line always says:

"Asking price is <price here>. Contact me at the email address and provide a phone number where I can reach you - if you don't include a phone number, I will not respond to your email."

That usually cuts out the bullshit fairly evenly. If people aren't serious enough to include a phone number, I don't respond - it's just that simple. I've yet to encounter something like the post above (automated message, 1 or 2 selection, etc) but if I ever do I'll just hang up and not respond to any callbacks or texts from that number.

Never ever ever ever put your cell number or any contact number in the ad directly - that's just asking for trouble on a potentially large scale.

One person I heard a story about did that then was inundated with 2,000+ text messages over the next few hours, ended up losing his cell phone service and number over it because it just wouldn't stop. Had to get a new phone/new number/service, etc.

There are some great deals and you can sell stuff, but you've got to use some common sense in the process. :)

Picked up this system last week:

i7 930
Asus P6T V2 Deluxe
12GB Corsair XMS3
3 x 1TB Hard Drives
Pioneer Blu Ray Writer
Corsair TX750W
Antec 902
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Disk and CoA

All for $400. Sold everything except for 2 hard drives and blu ray writer for quite a hefty profit.

Picking up the following in an hour:
Q6600
eVGA 790i
8GB DDR2
2 x GTX 260s
Corsair HX1000W
Unknown Case

All for $300. Planning on selling one of the GTXs, the power supply, and case for ~$200ish and building a cheap rig with the Corsair 430W and Rosewill Destroyer that I have laying around.

Call me crazy but both of those seem a bit high. :) I've seen similar systems here in my area that go for $200-250 tops. Saw an i7 920 last week with 6GB, 1TB, an ATI something or other card in it (I'm not a gamer so those are effectively irrelevant to me), and some other goodies in a Corsair case for $245 but it was gone before I got to contacting them (within 45 minutes as expected).

I look around various craigslist listings sometimes in other cities (Las Vegas here) and I'm amazed at how much more stuff seems to cost in some areas and so much less in others. Weird...

Do they also post computer "gigs" to build an entire website with a database backend, PHP front end, shopping cart, blog, "user editable" and contact form for $6/hr or "low budget"?

I hate that...

OP: nice snag. What are you going to use it for?

Back