Crackling Sound, Stuttering, Crashing, Far Cry 3 :(

Blazemore

[H]ard|Gawd
I've built a newish system to keep up with the times and work on my steam backlog. Started up Far Cry 3 and after 5 - 10mins of game play the sound will pop / crackle, then game stutter, and lastly crash to a hard reset. Same sequence of events every time. Doesn't matter if your in the menu or game play.

Specs:
EVGA Z87 Classified
4970K Stock
16 gigs 2400 GSkill stock
GTX 980 sli o/c 1530ish
1300 G2
Crucial SSD
All on water, average 45-50c on cpu and 980's.

- Problems happen on a fresh install of Win7 or Win8.1, all updates installed and drivers.
- Lowered 980 o/c to stock, problem still there.
- Can run Heaven benchmark for hours (3-4) lopping with o/c and no problems.
- No texture glitches are seen before the crash or while lopping Heaven
- Re-seated cards, sli connector
- Re-seated all MB cables
- Occurs in DX9 or DX11
- Bios up to date
- Tried various "Fixes" from the web.

Been fighting this for 2 weeks, any help would be appreciated before I pull the rest of my hair out :eek:

Does your rig pass a full memtest? I would underclock your RAM to 1600 and see what happens.

Do you have any parts you can use to test out what might be wrong?

Maybe borrow them from a buddy if you don't.

System passed memtest and underclocking ram didn't change the issues. Not other parts to borrow.

Fresh install or download of FC3 maybe? Do you use a sound card or onboard? Update sound drivers?

Well did a DA move and didn't save 1600 ram setting in the bios. After underclocking ram I was able to game for over an hour. There was still static now and then along with sli shutter but no hard crashes.

All drivers are up to date. Using onboard audio. I guessing this is something to do with stable ram settings?

Back