cracking windows passwords

boredguyatcomp

Limp Gawd
i was wanting to see if anyone knew of a program that will crack a windows xp username password just by inserting a cd? the reason is nothing illegal just wanting to change a friends background to scare him a little becauses hes insanely worried about someone hacking him :) .

If he's running XP Home, try booting to Safe Mode, and logging in as Administrator. It likely won't have a password, then you could replace his background.

thanks but i know there is a program that you can burn onto a cd and when you get to the logon screen it you insert it and it will crack the password or bypass it or something.

boredguyatcomp said:
i was wanting to see if anyone knew of a program that will crack a windows xp username password just by inserting a cd? the reason is nothing illegal just wanting to change a friends background to scare him a little becauses hes insanely worried about someone hacking him :) .

Just take his Monitor, that will scare him.

yeah i know how to do that still really wanting to find out the program that you just insert the cd of because it would be so much easier.

J32P2006 said:
Just take his Monitor, that will scare him.
lol

Boot with a knoppix cd and then replace the jpg he uses with one of your choice .

No cracking required.

IanG said:
Boot with a knoppix cd and then replace the jpg he uses with one of your choice .

No cracking required.

i will do that! i still would love to know of the program i was talking about.

boredguyatcomp said:
i will do that! i still would love to know of the program i was talking about.

Arent you talking about the App ERD? Boot from CD, Change passwords recover files, scan c: etc.. ? :confused:

Hate to rain on your parade, but *majority* of the utilities out there simply change the password and do not "crack" it.

Truly cracking a password takes time or a bit of social engineering. ;)

SJConsultant said:
Hate to rain on your parade, but *majority* of the utilities out there simply change the password and do not "crack" it.

or how about good old fashion luck and alot of time? :D

isnt there a thing in the user accounts if you click on a account and then make a floppy disk that allows youto bypass the logon screen?

youre referring to the offline nt reset tool, it only changes the password. you need to get the hash/lanman hash and crack it with rainbow, cain, l0phtCrack($$$), john....etc.

you can use pwdump2 (free app)from a command line shell to dump the hashes to a txt file.

SJConsultant said:

hello mr. captain of the obvious! :rolleyes:

JTY said:
If he's running XP Home, try booting to Safe Mode, and logging in as Administrator. It likely won't have a password, then you could replace his background.

Even XP Pro...I'd wager that at least 75% of users never create a password for the Administrator account...they just leave it blank.

Then wonder (or perhaps they don't even wonder) how their system gets hit with some trojans and worms...many of which will hit your system under the assumption that the Admin password is left blank.

boredguyatcomp said:

No, whats obvious is that your friend is going to know someone changed his password next time he goes to log on his computer and his password no longer works. :rolleyes:

What's also obvious is that you want to do things the quick and lazy way instead of simply learning how to do it with a little skill.

boredguyatcomp said:

Excuse me all, but nothing illegal? Breaking into someone else's computer last I checked was illegal.

Consider I don't get to break into someone's house even if all I want to do is rearrange there furniture.

Malk-a-mite said:
Excuse me all, but nothing illegal? Breaking into someone else's computer last I checked was illegal.

Consider I don't get to break into someone's house even if all I want to do is rearrange there furniture.

That's what I was thinking. IBTL

Malk-a-mite said:

Well maybe if you try a bit harder, you can rearrange the furniture. And then set up a camera to spy on them to see their initial reaction when they notice their furniture has been rearranged. :p ;)

boredguyatcomp said:

Why you giving him crap? Its obvious from your original point you have no clue what your doing, so he explained an important detail to you all nice and professional, and you jump his case for his trouble? Dont act like a 'tard.

If they have LM hashes enabled it should be cake. Google for tutorials. There are a few online databases of LM hashes you can use to look it up.

Back