CPUZ misreporting RAM frequency?

Iconz

Gawd
CPUZ is reporting 183.3MHz for RAM frequency for the rig in my sig. SPD reports correctly at 200MHZ 2.5-3-3-8. I have the setting to auto on my mobo, which is almost correct at 2.5-3-3-7. I thought it may just be a mistake, but I ran Everest too, and it says the same thing.

Everything is stable and all, but I want to make sure I'm getting everything out my system. Oh, and I'm running a wussie overclock at 2.0GHz, HTT 224MHz x 9. So why is the FSB:DRAM box saying "CPU/11"?

Should I be concerned about this?

Not sure what you are asking, probably because I don't know alot about RAM with respect to timings, etc.

It is Corsair ValueSelect 2x512MB PC3200 running in dual channel. The stock timing is 2.5-3-3-8. I have another identical kit showing up tomorrow from the egg. This memory should run at 200 MHz DDR, and I'm only reading (if CPUZ is correct) 183.3 MHz. I tried manual settings but crashed while booting because....I'm a memory retard.

Does that help?

Iconz said:
Not sure what you are asking, probably because I don't know alot about RAM with respect to timings, etc.
if you're gonna overclock, it'd be in your best interest to figure it out. i have some handy links in my sig too ;)

That ram will default 2.5/3/3/7 sometimes when in "auto". You can check your ram divider in bios and you will probably see a selection of 200, 183, 166, 133, 100. Your auto is setting is probably defauting it to 183 (which is same as DDR 366). Although when you go to check this it might be dispaying 200 and 2T since your in auto. Like said above, set it manually to 200 at stock settings and see what happens. I get a better overclock from those sticks using a divider and overclocking the cpu higher than using a 1/1 ratio.

Ie:

Ram set to 2.5/3/3/5 (keep it at 2.5/3/3/8 just in case your ram can't do this)
Set divider to 166 (DDR 333)
FSB 240
Multiplier 10

This is a good start. Your can raise the fsb from there. Be aware that you may need to raise the cpu voltage after a certain mhz.

And I think the SPD tab is just telling what is the timings at a certain speed and this doesn't mean you run at this speed. The 183 MHz value make me tell it's running at DDR333 speed, increased by the overclock of the reference clock.

Thanks for everyone's help. My board definitely is running at DDR 333 in auto mode. I finally understand the concept now with regard to the ratio, etc, at least somewhat. In manual mode at 200MHz windows gets a system error on boot, so I upped the FSB up to 244 x9 and voila, 2.19GHz proc and 199 MHz on the memory frequency in auto mode. I added that other identical pair from newegg, for 4x512MB in dual channel.

Everything seems to run fine, so thanks again everyone!

Back