CPU Water Block That Installs In 12 Seconds

It kind of defeats the 12 second installation, but I could see the product being delivered a little too tall and then using TIM or dye to judge the spacing. Then you just lap a little material off the bottom.

The only use I see for this is somebody that does a ton of cpu swapping - ie buy 10 die to find the 'golden' overclocker with this you can swap them quickly for testing purposes. Otherwise, even if you're swapping cpus once a month, taking 10 minutes to swap it with the back plate doesn't matter much.

Neat product but miniscule market (imo).

The only use I see for this is somebody that does a ton of cpu swapping - ie buy 10 die to find the 'golden' overclocker with this you can swap them quickly for testing purposes. Otherwise, even if you're swapping cpus once a month, taking 10 minutes to swap it with the back plate doesn't matter much.

Neat product but miniscule market (imo).
In all honesty, I would love to have couple of sets of these my motherboard testbench. Changing blocks gets to be a PITA.

Did any of you notice in the video posted with the bricks being piled on that they were hollow?
Checkout the 5:35 mark..
View attachment 14413

Wow, this is incredible. I'm honored that all of you put so much effort to give a review on the design.
Thank You.
This tells me one thing: I'M ON GOOD TRUCK TO SUCCESS :)

Um.. You do realize that he wasn't actually showing a test with those bricks. He was demonstrating how much force is involved using common (only slightly more hollow than standard U.S. bricks, that are not solid either) heavy items. The fact that they were hollow and not touching the chip is otterly irrelevant to the demonstration.

Thank you PhotoBobBarker

In regards of bricks:

_MG_7257.JPG

This is standard 2,5 Kg UK brick. THE JOKE was to show how much is 13 kgf (kg of force)

But in this situation, I have to admit, that I underestimate people which I'm showing my designs, for which I do apologize.
To be precise: 1 N = 0.101971621298 kg
so
130N = 13.256310768713067 kg

so: 2,5kg x5 bricks = 12.5kg + small stone ~13.2kg :)

Regards Arek

Last edited:
Um.. You do realize that he wasn't actually showing a test with those bricks. He was demonstrating how much force is involved using common (only slightly more hollow than standard U.S. bricks, that are not solid either) heavy items. The fact that they were hollow and not touching the chip is otterly irrelevant to the demonstration.

Also, if your tubing is introducing so much lateral forces to your water block to be able to break the CPU mount... The problem isn't with the mount, It's with the build. If you can't heat-form your tubing to not be yanking around on your socket mount, they buy some elbows (Yeah, they'll add a little flow resistance but not enough to make any difference) and run it that way.

Umm, no. The CPU socket and the clamping mechanism are designed within specific tolerances and if you use them improperly and they break, it's not the mechanisms fault, it's how you improperly used them.

The bottom of this block is designed essentially as a replacement IHS. It makes sense because it's replacing that component. But because it is more than just a replacement part and is many times heavier and additionally is attached to tubing and the rest of the cooling system. It will put more stress on that bracket then it was designed to withstand. If the bracket gives at all, it will allow the block to transfer additional stress to the PCB package of the chip and it will do that unevenly.

Time will tell.

Kyle, get one and test it out. then the circle of trust will be complete!! lol

If that will be an option I will be happy to send one for testing.

At the moment I'm preparing working prototype for thermal testing for skylike 6700k to confirm performance.

At the moment I'm preparing working prototype for thermal testing for skylike 6700k to confirm performance.
What wattage is the block rated at? I guess you don't know that for sure right now, but what are you shooting for?

I'll admit I was wrong when I was watching it. I thought he was making some point about the the piece he was showing being able to handle that kind of downward force so the empty space in the brick just really set off some alarms in my head. :)

It wouldn't be the first time a prototype block was sent to a tech site for evaluation.

A man may have to eat crow :cool:

(Meaning me)

12 seconds not including the time it takes to delid the CPU.

That aside, I love how clean it is without retention hardware around the block.

Not necessarily, it just has to have enough clearance around the die. They might need to use some kind of thin thermal foil to make up for the different die heights, and if you look closely in the video it appears to do that already.

Yea thats gonna be sweet when it becomes mainstream for lots of other cooling mechs.....Also,....i guess they just drop the block in your mail as is. No box or packaging...compared to the other installer. ;)

Arek, I'm nobody special here at HardOCP. I'm just another forum member, but I would like to welcome you here.

I also want to say that I applaud your design and thinking. Even if I am critical of it, I want you to know I also respect the work and the "outside the box" thinking that went into your work. Myself and others have concern about this solution but I want you to know that no one here wants to see this fail. We would all rather see this design succeed because in truth, you have one sexy looking waterblock design.

Cheers.

EDIT: Oh, and I would like to see this base-plate IHS replacement concept integrated into an All-In-One cooler similar to a Corsair, Coolermaster, and NZXT produce. I've gotten lazy when it comes to watercooling these days.

Last edited:
Did any of you notice in the video posted with the bricks being piled on that they were hollow?
Checkout the 5:35 mark..
View attachment 14413

I think most of you are completely missing the point of the bricks. He wasn't testing anything there by stacking up the bricks other than giving you a visual aid as to how much force the retainer clip exerts.

First time?? Really why?
If a GURU from the forum like this will give positive feedback, I'll get free advertisment? Who wouldn't want that??
Am I missing something??

"Eating crow is an American colloquial idiom,[1] meaning humiliation by admitting wrongness or having been proven wrong after taking a strong position. " :)
taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_crow

Good luck :)

Thank You for all your input. This forum exceeded all my expectations by far. Also, fact that so many people want to discuss this idea only confirms that I could possibly succeed

Arek, You had mentioned that if Kyle desired, you may be able to send him a waterblock for testing.

I was saying that, if you did send him a block or two, it would not be the first time for a company to do this. Yes, it is a good idea.

As you mentioned, it can be good for many reasons.

As for "eating crow", I was saying that I may have to eat some crow for being critical of your design, before we have had a chance to test it.

The definition from wikipedia says "humiliation by admitting wrongness". I don't think admitting I am wrong is humiliating. I think that refusing to admit I am wrong, is more humiliating.

Better make sure your block is perfected you send to Kyle, he will test it thoroughly. I don't have any use for this as I don't change CPU's frequently, but I love that someone is trying a new approach to something we have been doing for years. Hope it works out for you and all the testers and modders out there.

I still don't see the benefit for those that change CPU's frequently, since it has to be de-lidded in order for this cooler to work, and there may be 10 people in the world with a pile of de-lidded CPU's lying around that they need to switch between.

I still don't see the benefit for those that change CPU's frequently, since it has to be de-lidded in order for this cooler to work, and there may be 10 people in the world with a pile of de-lidded CPU's lying around that they need to switch between.

You don't see a benefit here for someone who is doing tech reviews and benching CPUs?

So I am going to run mobo reviews and swap between three different CPUs, I have to delid all three, but I might use those same three CPUs for the next dozen motherboard reviews. Now that might only be useful for a handful of reviewers but if I still did custom watercooling setups I'd buy this block just for the ease of installation as long as the potential problems are put to bed. And as I said, incorporate this into an All-In-One cooler and I would buy it even if it required more conventional mounting hardware as long as the performance is there.

Arek, You had mentioned that if Kyle desired, you may be able to send him a waterblock for testing.

I was saying that, if you did send him a block or two, it would not be the first time for a company to do this. Yes, it is a good idea.

As you mentioned, it can be good for many reasons.

As for "eating crow", I was saying that I may have to eat some crow for being critical of your design, before we have had a chance to test it.

The definition from wikipedia says "humiliation by admitting wrongness". I don't think admitting I am wrong is humiliating. I think that refusing to admit I am wrong, is more humiliating.

about sending - sorry misunderstood you

"eating crow" - this expression was totally new for me :), I didn't apply any form of humiliation. I do apologize.
admitting being wrong requires a bigger man :)

about sending - sorry misunderstood you

"eating crow" - this expression was totally new for me :), I didn't apply any form of humiliation. I do apologize.
admitting being wrong requires a bigger man :)

Arek there was no need to apologize, I did not feel insulted at all. I do appreciate your concern and wish you great luck with your work.

Well if you send one to Kyle and he approves it, that would sway quite a bit(most?) of the people.

Well, what about using an idea from my analogy?

You could also make essentially the same block, designed to sit on top of a normal IHS and held down with the Intel style push clips. It would only add about 5 seconds to the switch.

There should be at least an option to also utilize the mounting holes on the motherboard to ensure no sliding or rocking. I know it might not be a 12 second install, but think about shipping.

Prototype testing coming :)

Bench for testing 6700k :)

_MG_7275.jpg

asus maximus viii impact
6700k - will clock to 4.7 on air :)
corsair 16gb 2666 ram

But before I try to "destroy" this setup I want to do some tests on cheaper one :)

I have working "foxconn 45cmx" 4gb Ram which you can see on videos.
I also have:
Intel Pentium D 945 3.4GHz Dual-Core
and Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400

I'm planning use this setup for initial testing.
As compare to Ncore, I will use EK-Supremacy EVO.

All scenarios will be done in 3 coolant temperatures: 5degC, 30degC, 60degC

3 scenarios:

1. Standard CPU + Arctic cooling MX-4 on wb +EK wb
2. Delided CPU +coollaboratory liquid pro on die + Arctic cooling MX-4 on wb + EK wb
3. Ncore + coollaboratory liquid pro on die

Please give me any Ideas what else you want to see.

Back