CPU Water Block That Installs In 12 Seconds

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Steve, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Steve

Steve I do not work here any more

You guys have to check out this water block design that installs in just 12 seconds without the use of any tools. This prototype water block actually uses Intel's CPU retention mechanism to lock it in place instead of the traditional method of using the bolt holes around the CPU socket. What do you think?

2. jmilcher

jmilcher 2[H]4U

On delidded cpus only.

3. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

Pretty neat. Looks like a good solution to not worrying about if you'll tighten it down too much and crack the core on a delidded CPU. Now we just have to see the motherboard standing vertically like in a real-world scenario and if it stays in place :p.

4. Silentbob343

Silentbob343 [H]ard|Gawd

What is the clamping force of the CPU retention bracket. How secure is it with a chunk of copper?

5. BlueFireIce

BlueFireIce [H]ardness Supreme

First comes to mind is pressure on socket and hinge, how this does over time and if the little hinge can apply enough pressure to make good contact with the CPU core, this also seems to only be fore delided CPUs.

6. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

Pretty cool but the cost would be astonishing since every one has to be cut to fit each specific die

7. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

I found that the maximum actuation force of the load lever is 3.9 kgf.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  8. Emission

Emission 2[H]4U

12 seconds not including the time it takes to delid the CPU.

That aside, I love how clean it is without retention hardware around the block.

Not necessarily, it just has to have enough clearance around the die. They might need to use some kind of thin thermal foil to make up for the different die heights, and if you look closely in the video it appears to do that already.

Armenius likes this.
  9. Elios

Elios [H]ardness Supreme

id buy it

mullet likes this.
  10. JDon

JDon [H]Lite

I'm wondering how long until Intel "hops on board with delidders" and starts making a version without the lid that A: costs them less, B: they can charge more for, and C: isn't warrantied. :)

11. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

I would not touch that with a ten foot poll. That CPU socket is in NO WAY designed to support the weight of that block much less the lateral forces that would be applied by tubing and installation of the system. I bet some folks are going to be pissed when they find the edges of their naked CPUs chipped off. Trust me, those naked chips do not like things rocking around on them.

F.E.A.R., KarsusTG, Talyrius and 18 others like this.
  12. Momo

Momo Gawd

yeah... the force distribution cannot be even, can it, with a mechanism like that? therefore the cpu has uneven pressure since the WB is being held down by said mechanism... this does not seem like a good idea to me at all.

I don't think the weight thing is an issue Kyle_Bennett , after all the same mounting points are used for a stock hsf which probably weighs as much no?

13. BlueFireIce

BlueFireIce [H]ardness Supreme

No they are not, the clam cover for the CPU is in no way used to hold the stock HSF on, thats what the holes in the mobo are for.

rat and Armenius like this.
  14. Kyle_Bennett

You would be 100% incorrect. That cold plate is held on by nothing the mechanism designed to hold the CPU into the socket.

Armenius likes this.
  15. JDanser

JDanser Limp Gawd

I could see this working if they came up with some clever way to put in a cross member that shares the load and just have it snap into the stock HSF holes in the motherboard.

16. Kyle_Bennett

You mean kinda like a CPU heatsink mounting mechanism that is used widely today by AMD?

17. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Really thought this used the push pins for quick mounting that is secured with force. This looks more dangerous. Then again I've strapped a kilo of copper to an old CPU die and it didn't break, but that was with proper mounting points.

Armenius likes this.
  18. rgMekanic

Looks machined to fit the die to me.

cooler.png

19. Jovian

Jovian Limp Gawd

This reminds me of the day when AMD had exposed cores and people were chipping the sides when placing CPU's heatsinks incorrectly on them. Never mind your warranty is voided when you remove the lid. This is too extreme of a solution to be viable.

otherweeb likes this.
  20. Bandalo

Bandalo 2[H]4U

This seems like a bad idea. The MB and socket are designed to hold together by themselves just fine. The MB is designed to hold the weight of a cooler mounted to the mounting points and holding down on top of the CPU/socket stack. Putting all that weight on the retention mechanism means the whole weight of the cooler and any stress from the tubing is being held only by the solder points under the socket.

This would probably be OK for a horizontal mount and a case that never gets moved around, but I wouldn't do it for anything else.

21. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

Every time you add another interface material it lowers the efficiency. Even a liquid metal compound would be questionable here. It does have to have some sort or TIM, but the more you use to accommodate more processors, the less efficient it becomes.

22. Jim Kim

Jim Kim [H]ard|Gawd

The speed at which I can attach a cpu cooler has never been a factor in determining which cooler I purchase.

I just mounted a Hyper 212 EVO that easily took 3500 seconds.

1o57, MrTryfe, Talyrius and 6 others like this.
  23. Setiri

Setiri n00bie

Completely NOT glossing over all the good arguments here for why this, at a minimum, needs to be tested for not stressing the clam cover... I'm wondering why is the mention of install time an issue? From 3-4 minutes at most for a regular water block down to 12 seconds... and? You typically install a water block 1 maybe 2 times over the course of your CPU's life. If this was a daily installation, ok, that makes sense. Eh, maybe I'm missing something but it seems a weird selling point.

Armenius likes this.
  24. Emission

Emission 2[H]4U

Eh, looking at the original size of the image, it could be either or.

25. CrazyRob

CrazyRob [H]ard|Gawd

They lost me at angling the water block onto the naked cpu die, let alone all the other good reasons on here that this is a bad idea. I do appreciate that he's trying something different, though. Maybe a water block that replaces the cpu retention hardware itself?

26. AK0tA

AK0tA Gawd

I think I just witnessed a small miracle. Well probably not but I like the idea, would be a novel concept if MB manufactures gave an option to buy a Mobo with an easy clip on solution simular to this. I also have an Hyper 212 EVO that only takes minutes to install however I read so many forums where people need help because they can not comprehend the directions or process many water or air blocks come with. An easier solution would be great but for those who cant figure out the directions they may not be [H] enough and should go back to taking selfies.

27. Chas

Chas [H]ardness Supreme

I mean, if you're going to delid your CPU ALREADY?

Yeah okay. Maybe.

But, as others have said, I'm not altogether confident in the retention mechanism's ability to resist the shearing forces that all the tubing will bring into play.

Armenius likes this.
  28. Emission

Emission 2[H]4U

That's almost an hour! :ROFLMAO:

29. Steve

Steve I do not work here any more

Heh, remember the T-Bird days and all the aftermarket shims? Those were the days :D

1o57, Talyrius, trparky and 5 others like this.
  30. Makeroflostsouls

Makeroflostsouls 2[H]4U

Would be nice if some one did make a water block for a delid CPU . Since that seams to be the best way to get your temps down.. this though is not it..

31. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardness Supreme

Not disagreeing, but the base of the waterblock is essentially a replacement IHS "lid". You can see this clearly for a brief moment when he is removing the block at about 2:30 in the video. The cpu package and core will be in contact with the same structure, and the mounting forces (as far as the clamp is concerned) is the same. What is different rom what I can tell is that with a traditional block, the mounting hardware controls the mounting and lateral forces in a way that they are placed directly against the IHS but are stabilized by the mounting hardware.
    In this case, the mounting forces are applied in almost the same manner, but the lateral forces are only stabilized by the clamp and as Kyle says, it's probably not enough.

I do think it's an excellent but unfinished concept perhaps for an All-In-One solution. Use the mounting brackets and incorporate this concept into something like the Hydro series IAW coolers. That way you can use the mounting points to control and manage the mounting forces and integrate the performance benefits of this design and direct-die cooling. By using integrated connections between the block and the pump assembly you eliminate the lateral force problems.

It's not as sexy, cause this is a sexy concept, but I think it's a superior solution. This guy should pawn his idea to corsair or someone like them who already make some fine AIW coolers.

Elios likes this.
  32. lcpiper

Also agreed, all the weight and lateral forces for tubing and such are essentially being held in place by a structure that is solely designed to hold the CPU in place and form a back-stop for HSF mounting forces.

Kyle_Bennett and Armenius like this.
  33. lcpiper

Agreed, simplicity and ease of mounting yes, time not so much. I hate those Intel push-pin type mounting mechanisms, I can never get all four to mount proper. I'll take nuts and bolts and springs and thumbscrews any time over the push-pin mounts.

Take this and blend it with an All-in-One cooler pump assembly and I think you have a winner. Just replace that Lucite (or whatever it is) top block with a pump assembly, use the clamp to mount that so it's held in place, then slip a ring over the top that has arms that extend out over the mount points with holes for mounting hardware and you are there.

34. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel [H]ardness Supreme

Exactly, you only install the thing once (not including reapplying thermal paste later). I want the best performance and noise levels. Not the quickest install.

lcpiper and Jim Kim like this.
  35. Jim Kim

Jim Kim [H]ard|Gawd

I assembled lots of AMD Athlon and Duron systems. Sure wish they had stuck with that nomenclature and come out with the Moron cpu. http://www.bbspot.com/News/2000/5/amd_moron.html

36. Silentbob343

Silentbob343 [H]ard|Gawd

or the entire socket comes off.

Talyrius and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  37. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

How does it perform and how reliable is it? I don't care about the time it takes to install. I want the job done right, not right now. Of course, most of us also take the time to route our cables nicely and make it look good and have good airflow, etc..

Time to install is not a selling point for me. It's neat, but it's not the feature that I'm interested in when buying a new cooler.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  38. ecmaster76

ecmaster76 Gawd

Maybe they should make and sell shims for the delidded chips as well. That would help. Kyle's point about the weight on the mechanism is still a problem.

I'm not really sure who the market would be. Competitve overclockers swapping out CPUs on a horizontal bench until they find the golden sample?
    Anyone planning on keeping a CPU more than a few minutes shouldn't mind spending the time on putting something sturdy in.

Denpepe likes this.
  39. rgMekanic

Anyone hunting a golden chip wouldn't delid it

40. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

what if he just added an x-bracket with push pins like the oem heatsink? that might support it well enough. attach the block pop on the x-bracket. still under 20 seconds :rolleyes: