CPU usage at idle

Masejoer

Gawd
I'm having an unknown issue with a computer...when idling, with no background services or programs running, it jumps between 40-60% CPU usage in the task manager Performance tab. Under Processes, System Idle Process is at 99%, with nothing else showing up that isn't part of the operating system. In normal use, it acts like its doing something else so I'm betting the Performance tab is more correct than the Processes one. Scanned for viruses and ad/spyware with nothing showing up. Anyone know of anything else to try?

The processor queue is a bit higher than it should be at 2-3 nonstop, never dropping below 2

The system is a Duron 1GHz with 768MB ram, external video, sound, etc on WXP Pro/latest SP and hotfixes

edit:
diagnostic startup doesn't help

This has to do most likely with the DPC Time Placeholder, or Interupts Time Placeholder.

This on my system is also giving me an annoying 4-7% idle jump in CPU while system idle process is at 99..

http://www.iarsn.com/ EDIT: Taskinfo download that to confirm this..Only thing that helps me is a reformat :\

Yep, I have no clue how to fix this..it seems like something to do somehow with a power management driver or somthing..its really vague and I cant find almost any information on it anywhere :mad:

I really hope you find a way to fix this, and I'd also like to find a way too..Good luck on this, and tell me if I can be of further assistance.

Dave

My problem was just RAM incompatibilities...3 SDRam dimms, one didn't like the other 2 so I swapped some out between 2 systems. All is well again

Back