CPU upgrade Unlocked X2 555 to what?

Snappshoota

[H]ard|Gawd
Like the title stats,
I have an unlocked X2 555, whiles its been a beast of a CPU, I feel its holding me back in BF3..

Would it be worth it getting a legit 4 core, or bumping up to a 6 core? 1100T?

So what would the next step be? Kinda looking in the ~$180 range, lower the better, but we already know how that works ;)

potential is there to get about 4.2ghz out of the currently available phenom 2 chips.

I have had two, and both hit 4.2, which would be a decent bump from your current 3.5

ymmv

if you want to do a CPU upgrade, 1090T/1100T is your best bet, goign to a "true" quad wont make much difference if at all performance wise

Id vote for a 1090T.

I just went from a llano 631 to an FX4100 and its a kick in the pants. Ive only tried a couple benchmarks so far, but the llano at 3.7ghz is about 10-20% faster then FX4100 at 4.2ghz.

id say upgrade to atleast 6 cores. bf3 likes lots of cores, my 8120 sits at 50-55% usage with a single 6870, when i turn crossfire enabled cpu usage goes from 65-80% cpu usage and fluctuated within that area.

I'd get a 1100. I got the 1090 and its a great proc. Overclocks well and plenty of cores. They're going for $180 right now on Newegg IIRC.

Id vote for a 1090T.

I just went from a llano 631 to an FX4100 and its a kick in the pants. Ive only tried a couple benchmarks so far, but the llano at 3.7ghz is about 10-20% faster then FX4100 at 4.2ghz.

Didn't we tell you this? lol

Id vote for a 1090T.

WOW, that's down right scary. :eek:

For the OP:

Make sure your board is rated for 125 watt chips if you want to run a 1090t or 1100t.

Like the title stats,
I have an unlocked X2 555, whiles its been a beast of a CPU, I feel its holding me back in BF3..

Would it be worth it getting a legit 4 core, or bumping up to a 6 core? 1100T?

So what would the next step be? Kinda looking in the ~$180 range, lower the better, but we already know how that works ;)

Battlefield 3 Presentation Part 2

I was watching these videos earlier today. (there's five in total) Anyhow BF3 is parallel rendered on CPU's so the more speed you have and the more cores you have processing the data should all work together faster to display and refresh screens for a smoother gameplay experience. (Basically this game and others like it will no longer cap out @ 2-3 or 4 threads, their performance will scale with as many CPU Cores as you have, as long as the cores are not slow like a turtle)

There is alot of graphical layers as well in BF3, and alot of objects needed to be drawn and processed and it seems to be one of the first true DX 11 future parallel multithreaded titles.

IMHO when it comes to AMD CPU's just get a 1100T or 1090T and OC to 4.0-4.2 with a great air cooler or watercooler whatever floats your boat. Then get SLI/CFX DX 11 cards in the least for a good BF3 experience.

So 1090T be fine, (only $165 right now, could order tonight) then just overclock it to 3.5? Running a H50 so hopefully keeps it cool.

with no clock speed increase, I wouldn't be shocked if you were disappointed in the upgrade.

unless bf3 can load 6 cores?

with no clock speed increase, I wouldn't be shocked if you were disappointed in the upgrade.

unless bf3 can load 6 cores?

Yeah @ the very end of the 5th video he explains that gamers running 3D vision setups will require more than four cores, simply because the detail in 3D Vision basically needs to be doubled.

He says even if you have a quad core or more cpu's "it scales" very nicely now. ;) with 2 GPU's of course too.

@ 9:43 he addresses CPU scaling, and the 3D Vision talk starts @ 9:00

hmm so its either:

A) hold off till BD gets optimized (if ever)

B) Or dump mobo and CPU and head to intel.

C) Just Hold off till maybe some kinda magical drivers/updates come out.

D) 1090T

I mean I can wait if i have too, getting like 60-70 fps in most maps with drops to 40.. I just want better!

I am in nearly the same boat. I watch my CPU and GPU usage while playing and I am definitely CPU limited. All 4 cores are pinned most of the time, with plenty of headroom on the GPUs.

This thread was a good read, but I still don't know what I'm going to do.

if u want to try and save money, u may want to check out the 960T. Of course, unlocking isn't guaranteed though.

I'm on the fence about getting it right now, can't decide if i should or get the 1090T. There is a 50 dollar difference between the 2 though.

I had a nice "succession plan" laid out. Upgrade to a BD, then my PII 555 goes to my older AMD system, etc, etc.

I think that's the only thing stopping me from going with a 2600K right now; I'll end up with a spare mobo. Well that and this whole PCIe 3.0 thing that they're trying to standardize.

No, it wouldn't be good to get a faster quad chip... you're going to want one of the fastest X6 chips, and OC the crap out of it (looks like you already have that covered)

Otherwise, yeah..... Intel 2500K - 2700K CPU is the new "it" thing to get.

I am basically in this same boat, but my specs are a tad shittier on my current rig..... I'm doing what I said above.

Cheap unlocked AMD chip--------> (6 months to 2 years) Upgrade CPU only to higher end X6 -------> (1-3 years) probably get a new video card upgrade-------> Upgrade entire system to Intel i7

1090T is a great chip. I got one for $120 on ebay (brand new!) about 2 months ago and it clocked up to 3.8 easily. Didn't really try for more but I'm sure it has the headroom. Overall, it seems as nice and snappy as my i7 rig. If your motherboard supports it, I'd pick one up. It's a nice upgrade from what you now have. Btw, I had a unlocked 555 at 3.5 before the 1090t.

Well I might head up to MC, since they have a bunch of 1090's in stock for $169. 4 bucks more than newegg so cant complain..

And yea my X2 555 will be tossed into a spare rig ive been planning on putting together..

Will post back tomorrow if I grab it, and see how much it improved or did not..

Well I can say im happy now!

Bought the 1090T left it at stock for right now, and its a massive improvement for me. BF3 scales well to the extra cores..

These are fraps benchmark numbers (same map except with the 1090T there was more people)

X2 Unlocked to X4 @3.5
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
8158, 120000, 23, 57, 42.958

1090T Stock, More People
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
8392, 120000, 46, 110, 69.933

Both Ran on Kharg Island (SP) From the US side

Time to get back in game!!

nice, btw i was playing some bf3 co-op and was i suprised to see my 8120 at 95% load.

BF3 will love your hex

nice, btw i was playing some bf3 co-op and was i suprised to see my 8120 at 95% load.

BF3 will love your hex[/QUOTE
]
Interesting you should say that.

Check out this article that was posted on [H] News today: Link

I think their numbers are off when it comes to CPU usage.

"Things to take into account here is that 46% of the AMD FX-8150 was utilized in our test, while the Core i7-2600K only reached 34%. Even the old and much lower clocked Core i7-920 only reached 40%. Meanwhile the AMD FX-6120 and Phenom II X6 1100T featured virtually the same CPU utilization result. Another interesting stat is that the Phenom II X4 980, Athlon II X4 645 and FX-4100 also had roughly the same utilization of ~70%."

They go on to say:

" Battlefield 3 on the other hand delivered similar frame rates with a decent dual-core as it did with a quad."

That just doesn't seem right to me...

On my PII 555 unlocked to x4, all cores pretty much stay pinned at 100% when playing. Overall CPU usage is 97% to 100% and I'm only running at 1920x1080 right now getting 60-70fps. Looks pretty CPU limited to me.

Last edited:
That just doesn't seem right to me...

On my PII 555 unlocked to x4, all cores pretty much stay pinned at 100% when playing. Overall CPU usage is 97% to 100% and I'm only running at 1920x1080 right now getting 60-70fps. Looks pretty CPU limited to me.

Same, My usage was right around 97-100% on the unlocked 555

Now with the 1090T its down to about 76-80%.

Yeah in the Beta I ran my CPU as an X3 and as an X4. With just an X3 I lost 20 fps on minimums.

With the 4th core unlocked there was DEFINATELY a difference in 20+ extra minimum fps with that setup.

That article I can't believe in, it's some kind of Bill O Rielley Spin Zone shit.

i think part of my cpu usage is from crossfire, when playing multiplayer with a single 6870 i see about 50% constant usage, as soon as i enable crossfire that cpu usage jumps to 70%+

and co-op was the first place i noticed 90%+ cpu utilization. my 8120 is at 4.6ghz

it does make me feel better about my 8120 purchase because the reason i wanted it was for BF3 and DICE didnt dissapoint me with the multi threaded nature of the game.

Back