CPU upgrade help. 1055t to 3930k?

RaDeonXtreme

Limp Gawd
Hi ladies and gents. Ive done a bit of searching and just not sure if i should keep my 1055t at 3.8mhz or actually use the new 3930k i got.

I am gaming at 1440p and my 7950 hits 100% load but dunno if it will give me more fps with the intel chip or if my 1055t is limiting me. I can always use more gpu so I am thinking of jsut selling it and waiting for the next amd gpu in the fall.

any input will be greatly appreciated.

What games? Odds are you might gain a bit, whether it is worth the expense is debatable as for gaming a Haswell mainstream socket system would do just as good.

You'll probably see an FPS increase either way probably in minimum FPS especially in more CPU-limited games, but you'll see more FPS per unit money spent with a more powerful GPU setup especially if your GPU is already hitting 100%.

What games? Odds are you might gain a bit, whether it is worth the expense is debatable as for gaming a Haswell mainstream socket system would do just as good.

i play all the modern games to date. bf3/bf4, total war, tomb raider, and the future next gen games.

You'll probably see an FPS increase either way probably in minimum FPS especially in more CPU-limited games, but you'll see more FPS per unit money spent with a more powerful GPU setup especially if your GPU is already hitting 100%.

I got the 3930k for only a couple hundred bucks and could sell my current cpu setup for close to $150. But i could also put that money from the intel chip and make a profit and put it towards a new gpu.

I can always use more gpu so I am thinking of jsut selling it and waiting for the next amd gpu in the fall.

If you're thinking of picking up a new GPU anyway, then a more recent CPU would definitely help.

Any chance of selling the 3930K for a 4670K/4770K perhaps? Haswell will probably be faster for games.

If you're thinking of picking up a new GPU anyway, then a more recent CPU would definitely help.

Any chance of selling the 3930K for a 4670K/4770K perhaps? Haswell will probably be faster for games.

would it really help?

havent looked into haswell much other then a quick skim. any worthy features for gaming?

For gaming, Haswell has better instructions per clock/cycle.

If you can sell the 3930K/your current CPU/MB for a good price and cover the cost of a new Haswell build, then yes.

If not, the 3930K is plenty for gaming.

If you can sell the 3930K/your current CPU/MB for a good price and cover the cost of a new Haswell build, then yes.

i would never try to sli.

or crossfire? I am a bit torn on this subject, sounds like the GPU is the bottleneck though. Ive read that haswell is about a 5% bump over ivy bridge so nothing major there, plus it doesnt seem to overclock as well so whatever you gain in IPC, you lose in clock speed.

id vote for another 7950 or sell the 7950 and go for a 780 GTX.

SB-E will give you better FPS..minimum and maximum;I'd say around 12 on minimum.(avg)
PS:OC your GPU :D

3930k would give you higher minimum fps. No real point in wasting time selling it just to buy a Haswell and get maybe 5 extra frames, lol. Sell the Thuban and use that towards a new GPU.

3930k is going to smoke the 1055t in RAM throughput and latency.

That right there will give you a smoother system overall.

I say keep the 3930k.

OK dude, you really don't know what you're talking about. Going from a 3930k to Haswell will net maybe 1-2 frames at most and is definitely not worth doing at all for any practical purpose.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/06/01/intel_haswell_i74770k_ipc_overclocking_review/5

About a 6-7% difference in FPS clock for clock and that's with all the settings to minimize the GPU and maximize the CPU. Under normal conditions with a video card there will be a difference of 1-2 FPS the two, as the max settings benchmarks indicate.

I also say go with the 3930k. You don't want your CPU holding your back for future games.

I know you can figure out how to set bitrate/FPS/resolution..get your max resolution & FPS, and then use the smaller bitrate table to get the bitrate for that resolution/FPS

Back