CPU throttling

codysown

Weaksauce
My situation is that I have a 2.8Ghz Cpu and only need about 700Mhz. 95% of the time I just use it for email and browsing the web. I thought I read about a program that would throttle back your CPU to conserve battery power.
My Specs.
Dell Inspiron 9100
2.8 Ghz Cpu w/HT and 800 FSB
512 400 DDR
Mobility Radeon 9700

I have bios version A05 installed now. I was told that in some bios' there was feature that enables this. My friend has an Inspiron 8600 with a 2.4 Ghz CPU and his has this feature. He owns a Brick and Morter Computer Sales and Service Store. Any help on this would be great and thanks ahead of time.

SpeedswitchXP is the name of the program you are looking for, but I don't know if it works with P4-M. I believe the processor needs to be able to adjust its multiplier on the fly which the P4-M can't. Give it a shot, I could be wrong.

I checked both of the leads you gave me and I apparently have a 865 chipset and it needs to be a 915 or such. I dont think that they used a Mobile P4 in this laptop either. It always nice to see Dell cutting corners by using desktop components in my Laptop. When I ordered it I wanted a desktop replacement as I didnt care about the few extra pounds, and still dont. However I would like more than 45 minutes of battery life.

codysown said:
I checked both of the leads you gave me and I apparently have a 865 chipset and it needs to be a 915 or such. I dont think that they used a Mobile P4 in this laptop either. It always nice to see Dell cutting corners by using desktop components in my Laptop. When I ordered it I wanted a desktop replacement as I didnt care about the few extra pounds, and still dont. However I would like more than 45 minutes of battery life.

They aren't cutting corners. There is a market for P4's, a market for P4-M's, and a market for PM's. It's not like they tricked you or anything.

yeah, i'm also in the same boat. i have a desktop northwood 3.0 in my lappy and i would like a program that could throttle it down to 1ghz

speedstep won't work, but u could try a program called RMclock. I use it to manage the speeds of my Pentium M (you can undervolt it too). I heard it has support for other processors, but just google RMclock.

Back