CPU swap question

Cold Dark Shadow

[H]F Junkie
Will i need to re-install windows for a CPU swap? I dont remember if you do or not and if theres a way around it if you do.

I doubt you will need to reinstall windows with just a cpu swap. I doubt you will have to reactivate windows. I assume you mean same mb, memory, hd, expansion cards, video card?

what cpu do you have? replacing with?

Yeah everything else will be the same just a CPU swap.
Thinking about pulling my 5000+BE from ym SFF to throw in my CMStacker set up that will runa 8800GTX and stick a AMD 4200+ Brisbane 2.2GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core in the SFF

If its cpu than no. Windows will work just fine with the new cpu.

If your computer is loaded with useless crap than i would format.

Just re-formatted about a couple weeks ago, thats why i asked, dont feel like goin thru that again for a while lol

no you should be fine. I just did it a few days ago :)

xp required a restart, vista was fine

If it's from single core --> duo I would reformat..last time I swapped a 3500+ for a 3800+ X2 I actually saw performance decrease.

You wouldn't have to reinstall Windows for a CPU swap but if you change motherboards or so then you have to reactivate it.

Just out of curiosity, if i swapped MBs but there both the same model and everything, would you then?

I just did a mobo swap in vista and had no problems at all. from nvidia to intel chipset to. installed drivers. reboot and its running fine

I just did a mobo swap in vista and had no problems at all. from nvidia to intel chipset to. installed drivers. reboot and its running fine

thats interesting because when I've done that, I've always had to reinstall windows. you're just lucky I guess

if the mobos were exactly the same it should be ok, but even if they were a different revision of the same model you might get some issues...

Back