CPU startup Nuvia breaks cover

That article really sounds like a "hot stock tip" email.

https://nuviainc.com/

Not much on their website either, and what is sorely lacking is any information on how they will build this "miracle" data center chip. No information on what is wrong, what they plan on doing differently, what their goals are, or anything.
Kudos if they can pull off a successful endeavor, but I don't think Intel or AMD will sit around and let a startup take their space without a big fight.

Their website looks awful.... like a highschool student who just learned bootstrap or something made it... but never got to the, how to make your stuff not look like garbage, part of whatever tutorial they were following.

Last edited:
Some ex-Apple guys looking for seed money to build Custom CPUs.

Which is a bit silly. If it's not ARM, it should be RISC-V -- and then what?

Apple's strength in CPU design is that they control what runs on top of the CPU too. Outside of that, they're nothing special; I have to wonder what this team thinks they can contribute.

Ya this is almost certainly going to just drain investor funds and not deliver anything useful. CPU design is fucking expensive, that's one of the reasons why companies will license ARM cores when they need something because rolling your own CPU is a ton of money and work. Much like with GPUs, this isn't an industry that a company can just break in to. Not only would you need a lot of really talented people, but you'd need a ton of capital, more than you are likely to be able to raise.

If it's really for embedded devices, it could be a real thing. More performance and/or lower power and/or lower cost can provide handholds to a huge number of markets. Little CPUs are in everything now, and they're being asked to do more and more all the time. I have to choose from options which generally either suck or which are super expensive. I think there's room to shake things up in that space.

If it's a desktop or even phone-class part, they're heading into serious competition where I'd really want to see real working samples before I did anything other than say "good luck".

Which is a bit silly. If it's not ARM, it should be RISC-V -- and then what?

Apple's strength in CPU design is that they control what runs on top of the CPU too. Outside of that, they're nothing special; I have to wonder what this team thinks they can contribute.

Speaking of ARM, I just watched this film from 2009 about Sinclair and Acorn,

ARM-chip.jpg

Their website looks awful.... like a highschool student who just learned bootstrap or something made it... but never got to the, how to make your stuff not look like garbage, part of whatever tutorial they were following.
Wow! I thought it just looked busted like that because of my privacy plugins, but I tested in another window and it looks just as bad. Clown town.

I was waiting for Nuvia to go public, but I guess Qualcomm it is. Very smart move on their part.

Reactions: erek
like this
it's not possible to make x86 unless you are intel or AMD.

VIA holds an x86 license because they bought both Centaur Hauls (IDT Winchip) and Cyrix. DM&P makes embedded x86 processors, which have a lineage from the Rise MP6, which itself was a cleanroom reverse engineered x86 CPU. There's also the weird Zhaoxin series, which is a collaboration between VIA and the Chinese government. I think GN got their hands on one and it was definitely nothing to write home about. It has lineage back to Centaur Hauls designs, which were not designed with performance in mind. Also really wouldn't trust anything made by the Chinese government, but the same can be said about Intel with their black box IME and AMD's security processor.

3rd party x86 has weird lineage maps mostly due to the fact nobody can really compete with leviathans Intel and AMD monetarily.

Centaur Hauls -> IDT -> VIA C3 (Samuel)/C7 -> Zhaoxin
Cyrix -> NSC -> VIA C3 (Joshua) -> AMD Geode GX
Rise MP6 -> SiS 55x -> DM&P Vortex86

Back