CPU running to hot on new PC Velocity Micro E2250

Nvidia101

[H]ard|Gawd
I just purchased a Velocity Micro E2250 from newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883239007
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/velocity-micro-edge-e2250/4505-3118_7-32976268.html?tag=mncol;lst

When I opened it from Box. I noticed the liquid CPU cooling heat sink fell half way off. Still attached so it did not damage anything..... just 2 sides were popped off. I re-placed it how it should be, but is this normal?! My CPU temps seam a bit high since this is not air cooling.

core 0 - 50 C
core 1 -36 C
core 2 -43 C
core 3 -42 C

On idle.

I ran prime 95 for 5 minutes and noticed

core 0 - 62 C
core 1 -54 C
core 2 - 55 C
core 3 - 53 C

im getting worried here.

Well, a few things to think about:

1) What are your ambient temperatures?
2) What is the CPU clocked at? Is it overclocked or is it at default speed?

The temperatures themselves aren't horrible, one thing you want to know is that water cooling isn't necessarily going to significantly lower temps by itself, especially if you have a high ambient temperature around it. It also looks like they are using a single rad basically self contained Liquid Cooling kit, which is not exactly a top performer. I would say it's often about equal or maybe even a tiny bit worse than current top air coolers. It also looks like when you put the waterblock back on it may not have an event spread of thermal paste (either too much or two little) as one of the cores is way higher than the others. While it is not unusual to have 2-5 degrees separating the cores, 10c is kind of excessive.

Given that the waterblock had come off when it got to you, it should be covered under warranty cause of shipping damage if you want to RMA it to be safe. Your temperatures aren't excessively dangerous though if they stay right there.

Well, a few things to think about:

1) What are your ambient temperatures?
2) What is the CPU clocked at? Is it overclocked or is it at default speed?

The temperatures themselves aren't horrible, one thing you want to know is that water cooling isn't necessarily going to significantly lower temps by itself, especially if you have a high ambient temperature around it. It also looks like they are using a single rad basically self contained Liquid Cooling kit, which is not exactly a top performer. I would say it's often about equal or maybe even a tiny bit worse than current top air coolers. It also looks like when you put the waterblock back on it may not have an event spread of thermal paste (either too much or two little) as one of the cores is way higher than the others. While it is not unusual to have 2-5 degrees separating the cores, 10c is kind of excessive.

Given that the waterblock had come off when it got to you, it should be covered under warranty cause of shipping damage if you want to RMA it to be safe. Your temperatures aren't excessively dangerous though if they stay right there.

the GPU is 50 C right now

temp 1 :48C
temp 2 : 38C
temp 3 22C

I just ran prime 95 100% CPU only for 14 minutes and got this:

core 0 - 70 C fluctuates between 70-71
core 1 - 63 C
core 2 - 65 C
core 3 - 65 C

It did 9 tests. 0 errors or problems.

Also the CPU is not overclocked running at standard speed of 2.66GHZ per core.

Back