I built my current system in January '03:

Mobo: ASUS A7N8X
CPU: AMD Athlon XP2700+
Memory: 1GB Corsair PC2700
Graphics: ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Sound: Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
Monitor: NEC LT260K Projector
Screen: Carada 76'' 1.33 to 1 in Brilliant White

I play at 1024x768 because it's the native resolution of my projector, and I max out AA and AF to smooth things out on the 76" screen. I'd like to wait until next summer to upgrade and hopefully build a new system with dual core/SLI/Serial ATA/whatever else, but I am tempted to do a graphics card upgrade now. Waiting to upgrade allowed me to drop $2200 on the projector, which I love.

Would I be CPU limited with my current system if I put a 6800GT or X800XT (or pro) into my current system?

Another consideration is that I do screenshot-based walkthroughs on my site VisualWalkthroughs.com and I would like to have the Doom 3 shots looking good.

Thanks for the linkage.

Anyone out there with a similar setup to mine upgrade from a 9700 Pro? What was your experience?

i have the EXACT same comp. as u but just a MSI K7N2G mobo w/ a sound blaster live 5.1 sound card. I tried playin farcry on it...its ok...its playable...but i rather wait till i get a better comp to play.

I think you should upgrade, a 2700 is almost 2200mhz right? I'm sure you could get it to 2300mhz or so... and that is pretty solid for an XP system.

Inside_line said:
I think you should upgrade, a 2700 is almost 2200mhz right? I'm sure you could get it to 2300mhz or so... and that is pretty solid for an XP system.
yep with the upgrade although you will be cpu limited still this will allow ya to turn on aa and af in most of the games at higher resolutions.

mangoldm said:
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to pick up an X800 Pro from Newegg. :cool:
I would go with a 6800gt if you can find one. I say this because it is a 16pipe card vs the x800pro a 12pipe card. Most people's 6800's can easily hit ultra speeds with stock cooling. I wouldn't order from newegg either, as they are price gouging right now, you can find a 6800gt @ msrp at evga.com. If you are planning on playing Doom3 the 6800gt is a better choice as well. If your set on ATi that's okay too, both are good cards.

They are all good cards, but I think the X800 Pro is shown to be a better overall performer than even the 6800 Ultra here. It's also smaller and less power hungry. I may be putting this in a SFF system so that's a plus. (I've built two Shuttle systems, one for my mom and one for my aunt and I really like them.) I also think that ATI has the edge in AA and AF quality, which is especially important since I play at 1024x768 only (see my original post).

And I've always been happy with Newegg, so choosing them is just one less thing to stress over. :)

mangoldm said:
They are all good cards, but I think the X800 Pro is shown to be a better overall performer than even the 6800 Ultra here. It's also smaller and less power hungry. I may be putting this in a SFF system so that's a plus. (I've built two Shuttle systems, one for my mom and one for my aunt and I really like them.) I also think that ATI has the edge in AA and AF quality, which is especially important since I play at 1024x768 only (see my original post).

And I've always been happy with Newegg, so choosing them is just one less thing to stress over. :)
Those are very outdated benchmarks, with the new driver releases the nVidia cards gained a ton of performance. http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjM3LDEw I'm not sure about the shuttle thing though, I think some guys have 6800gts running in sff's but I'm not sure. I know the shuttle psu's are very high quality and should be able to handle it.

Back