CPU hungry game freezining/lagging because of other procs using CPU, increase game priority?

postcd

Weaksauce
Hello,

my i5 CPU is having problem to keep up with me playing CPU hungry game and also processing other Windows 10 tasks like P2P application. When i end other apps, game has no lagging. I am almost sure problem is CPU, not HDD not GPU, not RAM, because i see CPU usage in tray icon when game is wIndowed and i know from game devs. that this game is using CPU, not GPU, i am talking about LFS (game).

I am thinking if i can increase game process priority so game is prioritized in CPU. Do you suggest anything like that and if yes, which app should i use so the process is always started with above normal priority?

I do not want to end other CPU eating processes. Process explorer allows freezing app, maybe i can do it for non-game apps always before starting gaming, but though process priority change may be more elegant and simple solution? Thank you

Last edited:
Open your task manager. Go to the details tab. You can right click on running processes here and set affinity (if you want to tell software to use or not use specific cores) and you can also set priority.

Having said that... it sounds like your machine is getting a bit older. Best option if your running a more demanding game is to simply shut down the other stuff your running. Trying to tell your computer to deprioritize software hitting your network hard like p2p ect isn't really going to do much I wouldn't think. Give it a try if you want... but I suspect your going to be shutting things down if you want a smooth experience.

Running P2P while plaiying online games is a horrible idea. Your connection continues to be spammed with thousands of P2P connection attempts 1-2 hours after you quit your P2P session. That causes load on your CPU and congestion to your network, which doesn't exactly help your gaming.

B00nie: thanks, i thought these connections may contribute to the CPU load, thx for confirming.
ChadD: Thank You, it took a while to load processes on Detail tab in Task manager. But then when playing the game (which was lagging) i changed the game process priority (in Task manager / Details) to "Above average" then game stopped lagging immediately and is playable. Same happens when i set game process priority to normal and decrease priority of the P2P software that is second top CPU eater.

When i quit game and start it again, priority is resetted to Normal. Any idea how to keep it Above average even across reboots of the Windows 10 PC?

B00nie: thanks, i thought these connections may contribute to the CPU load, thx for confirming.
ChadD: Thank You, it took a while to load processes on Detail tab in Task manager. But then when playing the game (which was lagging) i changed the game process priority (in Task manager / Details) to "Above average" then game stopped lagging immediately and is playable. Same happens when i set game process priority to normal and decrease priority of the P2P software that is second top CPU eater.

When i quit game and start it again, priority is resetted to Normal. Any idea how to keep it Above average even across reboots of the Windows 10 PC?

Windows 10 is supposed to have a 'game mode' which you can enable in somewhere. Probably icon/launch settings. Never needed it myself since I keep my Win10 purely for gaming. Nothing else runs on it.

There are tools you can use that will automatically set priority at launch. They are easy enough to dig up via a google search.

That being said, the real problem is your p2p software is making a lot of connection attempts, which puts a little load on the CPU, but does it a LOT. And every time it does, whatever thread is running on that CPU core has to come to a complete stop. That's why you are having stuttering problems. Adjusting thread priority helps by biasing the windows thread scheduler toward your application, but may not resolve performance problems if the stuff running in the background changes in the future. You're hiding the problem, rather then addressing the real cause.

There are tools you can use that will automatically set priority at launch. They are easy enough to dig up via a google search.

Thank you, i found that System Explorer does this. There is option to set process priority and remember it. And i verified it survived restart of both Process explorer and the game. Thank you for help. THis issue is now solved for now (without hardware upgrade and without interrupting background apps function :))

cmd /c start "" /PriorityLevelName "Full path of application file"

Create a new short cut or edit adding this.

so

cmd /c start "" /high "c:\games\gamename\game.exe"

Back