CPU heatsink for q6600 antec300 case and upto $50 - oc newbie

yariman

n00b
Hi ive got everything for my new build but the cpu cooler sorted. And im now trying to figure out whats good for my situation and what will fit in my case.

I have
Case: Antec 300 with top and side fans included but rear missing
CPU: Quad q6600
Vid Card: Asus HD4870 512mb
Memory: 4gb patriot
Budget: upto $50

I dont plan to overclock straight away but probably in a couple of months time. From other threads i heard its best just to get the cooler now in advance to avoid having to resetup the rig. This will be my first time to overclock so not looking to push things to the limit.
Noise levels are quite important. Id prefer something as quiet as possible given the budget.

Im in Japan and the xigameteks are hard to come by.
Scythe is big here
Sunbeam may run under a different name but theres nothing under sunbeam

Ive heard good and bad things for the ninja so im confused as to whether its a good buy. The andy is cheap but again conflicting comments. Im also not sure about clearence in the case. I think with the motherboard in ill probably have around 14cm.

Any reccommendations?

I've heard the OCZ Vendetta 2 is about equal to the Xigmatek, so you might want to see if that's available. Also, I don't know the pricing in Japan, but TRUEs can be had for around $55 here, and would be much better for cooling a quad versus something cheaper. But if you're only looking to hit 3.0 GHz, you'll probably be okay with something a little cheaper (as you would still need to buy a fan for the TRUE). I have a question though...are you only going to be using the two case fans? If so, I would think you'll have problems with leaving the back hole open as the top fan will just suck air from it and not properly circulate case air. You're also going to be ignoring your hard drives which may be an issue. Might want to get then vendetta + a decent case fan or two (you said scythes are pretty common, so that wouldn't be a bad place to check).

thanks for your reply. I have two fans on the top and rear of my antec 300. Im not going to overclokc immediately so i think i have some time to think about circulation. Before I could read your response I already bought a ninja. Whether that was a good choice or not i dont know but i can always buy anohter cooler if absolutely neccessary.

Back