CPU for these needs?

incomudro

[H]ard|Gawd
Im looking to build my mom a computer, all she really does it surf the web check email, and play simple games like solitare and alot of Real Arcade games word puzzle games ect. I want something cheap but good enough for a couple years, her needs will not change.
I was thinking of getting a AMD 3000 seperon? What do you guys think of this. Ive got about $120 to spend.

Ive done some more looking around and this is what I have come up with:

AMD 3300+ $100
1GB memory (already have)
Case (have)
MSI RS482M-IL Socket 754 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 $66
OCZ ModStream OCZ45012U $89
80GB HDD $53
Windows XP home (have)
CD-RW/DVD drive Lite On $31
Monitor,keyboard, mouse and speakers (already have)

Korialstrasza said:
You can get away with way less than that for those needs. :)
I agree. My wife uses hers pretty much for the same things, and she gets along fine with a 1.3 T-bird and 512 mb PC133 :). I see you already have the memory, so no big deal there, but you could save yourself ( or her ) 30 bucks or so and go with a 2600+ with no performance loss that she would ever notice. You could also probably go with a lesser PSU as 450 watts would kinda be overkill with the rest of those specs.

I want it to be an A64 mobo at least for upgrade purposes incase she wanted vista or something, so you think a 3000+ sepron would be ok? I just want it to be enough for he video. Also im out of touch with psu these days, as far as what is good for cheap, can you guys recommend anything?

incomudro said:
I want it to be an A64 mobo at least for upgrade purposes incase she wanted vista or something, so you think a 3000+ sepron would be ok? I just want it to be enough for he video. Also im out of touch with psu these days, as far as what is good for cheap, can you guys recommend anything?

The sempron will be okay for viewing video as long as its not high-def, also Antec,Thermaltake and Coolmax are also good power supplies. Just go to newegg and pick one in your price range with 5/5 avg rating.

Back