CPU fan doesn't power on until display initiliazes

Valaire

Gawd
Topic says it all. This is a new motherboard in order to replace my previous one that died. Also experiencing very high temps which is making the computer unstable. Q6600 idle at underclock is 55-60C with case open and low ambient temps.

Is the fan messed up? Brand new PSU and mobo.

A lot of motherboards have automatic fan control where the fan kicks on once the CPU hits a certain temperature, otherwise it's off.

I would definitely look at how you have seated the heatsink. Pull it off and make sure the thermal paste is not spread out evenly. If the fan is on and that chip is 60c at idle, I can almost guarantee your heat sink isn't mounted right.

I have all of that disabled in the motherboard, and suspect that there is something else going on here. It always starts up exactly when my monitor starts receiving a signal, about 4 seconds past power up. When I had it case-less without a video card, it started up right away. Thoughts?

As to the heatsink, I've reseated the thing like 9 times now and applied AS5 according to instructions. I really feel like it is mounted securely. It worked fine the first time I mounted it on my old mobo. Only thing I can say is that the surface of the heatsink seems kind of rough. I know what lapping is but I would have thought it was only for optimizing a heatsink, not making it function altogether.

Does anyone think buying a new HSF combo would perhaps fix this problem? I've pushed down on the heatsink during operation to see if it makes any changes in temps -- it does not.

If it helps, the new mobo is the Giga-byte P45 one that got great reviews. The rest of the computer is the same as my sig.

If its not the board and cooler, then its the cpu. Test the cpu in another board with another cooler if you want.

What are you using to measure cpu core temps?

Back