CPU even hotter after switching to AS5

MellowDude said:
If I was to say anything about that picture it would be that the grease is not really centered.

The CPU core sits actually right in the center under the heat spreader and that's the main heat source and why you only need to really use a small amount of AS5 as long as you get it centered so it spreads where its needed and not to one side.

You really don't need to cover the heat spreader with a thin layer, That's what you did with the old Althon XP series CPU's without a heat spreader.

I've got a Venice 3000+ @ 2.7 with a Zalman 7700cu @ 1100RPM. Case is an Antec Sonata which has 1 x 120mm rear fan controlled via PS and the PS fan itself also speed controlled.

Room temp averages around 18C and case temp around 24 - 26 while the CPU is around 28 -29C idle and never higher than 38C under load.

Currently just got home from work and rooms a little colder so after about 1 hour of use System is 21C and CPU is 26C.

So I'd think there was room for improvment unless it's bloody hot where you live.

MEM LOCK @ 133
MEM @ 2-3-3-6
HTT @ 300
CPU @ 9 multi and 1.5v
MSI K8N SLI MB
Gigabyte X700Pro 256MB GPU
Geil Ultra 3200 Ram 2 x 512MB Dual

MD

i know that. when i first did it, i put the drop in the middle and put the HS on top of it and used that to spread it (like the directions said), but obviously it didnt spread in the middle :(. so this time i manually spread it and now it works better. still dont know how you people manage to get your temps so low (never higher than 40C under load... wish i could have that), but i guess this'll have to do.

if anyone knows about the video card, it'd be greatly appreciated ;)

_Korruption_ said:
What motherboard? Chances are the sensors are wrong.

That's my attitude as well....alot of S754 boards were notoriously bad at temp readings....and the guy that said he is 2.88ghz at 29c idle....not likely unless you have some seriously cold A/C going on in your house...

BulletHole24 said:
still dont know how you people manage to get your temps so low (never higher than 40C under load... wish i could have that), but i guess this'll have to do.

;)

40c under extended load, most people aren't unless thay have some very cold A/C and watercooling to boot. If you are in a say, 25c ambient (77f) room, using even a good air cooler on the cpu with very good case ventilation, and running 2.5ghz or better...seeing 40c load temps (REAL temps not reported temps) is almost impossible. Most mobo readings are off one way or another, and not very many people verify the accuracy...

And the guy with 18c room temps is nuts! That is COLD for a house, like 64f....hate to see that electric bill :p

TheRapture said:
40c under extended load, most people aren't unless thay have some very cold A/C and watercooling to boot. If you are in a say, 25c ambient (77f) room, using even a good air cooler on the cpu with very good case ventilation, and running 2.5ghz or better...seeing 40c load temps (REAL temps not reported temps) is almost impossible. Most mobo readings are off one way or another, and not very many people verify the accuracy...

And the guy with 18c room temps is nuts! That is COLD for a house, like 64f....hate to see that electric bill :p

i'd probably freeze in that house... my AC is set to 72F. but no one is answering my GPU question :(

BulletHole24 said:
by the way, since i guess most of you missed the PS in my original post... can anyone tell me how i can get a temperature reading on my video card? Asus Probe only shows CPU and MOBO temps

In the NVidia control panel in the desktop settings.

If it doesn't have an entry then the card doesn't have a sensor, which is unfortunately the case for low-level FX 5xx0 cards.

You said ZZF is out of stock. Anyway to get money back or something and use another supplier? Like www.monarchcomputer.com or www.newegg.com ? Even www.chumbo.com (I know two of my friends bought from there, at the time they had a better deal on the video card they wanted than newegg.)

How much did you wait at most for the AS to sink in? Try to burn it in or something. Bring the cpu up to 100% load for an extended period of time then turn it off and let it cool off. Be sure to set a cutoff temp or something of like 60-65c for your cpu in your bios.

I suggest lapping that processor... Your temps can drop as much as 8 degrees celcius i'm told. Also, you can even out the Heatspreader, so its flat, instead of having a groove in it.

Some of the FX-55's had bad Heatspreaders I was told, and they kind of bowed on the ends, so the heatsink couldn't cool the middle, and this caused temperatures to shoot through the roof.

So, try lapping your heatspreader and see if that helps.

Russ said:
You said ZZF is out of stock. Anyway to get money back or something and use another supplier? Like www.monarchcomputer.com or www.newegg.com ? Even www.chumbo.com (I know two of my friends bought from there, at the time they had a better deal on the video card they wanted than newegg.)

How much did you wait at most for the AS to sink in? Try to burn it in or something. Bring the cpu up to 100% load for an extended period of time then turn it off and let it cool off. Be sure to set a cutoff temp or something of like 60-65c for your cpu in your bios.

nevermind about that. im dumb and didnt realize that the warranty is a manufacturer's warranty (as in im supposed to contact XFX about a replacement). i already have my card boxed up and RMA written on it ready to ship (gonna ship it tomorrow).

so far it has been one day since i reapplied the AS5 (it's supposed to take a week max).

KrakenGuy said:
I suggest lapping that processor... Your temps can drop as much as 8 degrees celcius i'm told. Also, you can even out the Heatspreader, so its flat, instead of having a groove in it.

Some of the FX-55's had bad Heatspreaders I was told, and they kind of bowed on the ends, so the heatsink couldn't cool the middle, and this caused temperatures to shoot through the roof.

So, try lapping your heatspreader and see if that helps.

uhh... what's lapping?

Here is how I put my AS5 on my processor. I take the AS5 and place a nice thick line on one edge of the processor. I then use a razor blade and pull the AS5 across the processor. I do this several times in all 4 directions. This will give you a nice even coating over the processor. The trick to this is applying the right pressure. Too much and you'll make the layer too thin, too light and it will be too thick. I have been using this method for years and get it perfect on the first time now. After I put the heatsink on the processor I boot up the machine and monitor the temps. I then unplug the heatsink fan and crank up Prime95. I get my processor nice and hot (be sure to look at the thermal specs before you do this :) my max temp is 65C and I let it get to 60C) to "set" the AS5. This step is unnessisary since the AS5 will set in the first 200 hours under normal conditions, but I am impatient. I plug the fan back in and watch my temps drop like a rock.

I have a AthlonX2 4400+ with a Zalman 7700CU heatsink and it idles at 32C and at 100% load on both cores it goes up to 48C with the CPU fan at 5V. And it only reaches 48C when I torture test running two instances of Prime 95. This never happen under normal use. That quite good since the dual core puts out 110W, while yours only puts out 67W. We have the same heatsink and my processor puts out almost twice the heat, there is no way you should be getting warmer temps than me.

brom42 said:
Here is how I put my AS5 on my processor. I take the AS5 and place a nice thick line on one edge of the processor. I then use a razor blade and pull the AS5 across the processor. I do this several times in all 4 directions. This will give you a nice even coating over the processor. The trick to this is applying the right pressure. Too much and you'll make the layer too thin, too light and it will be too thick. I have been using this method for years and get it perfect on the first time now. After I put the heatsink on the processor I boot up the machine and monitor the temps. I then unplug the heatsink fan and crank up Prime95. I get my processor nice and hot (be sure to look at the thermal specs before you do this :) my max temp is 65C and I let it get to 60C) to "set" the AS5. This step is unnessisary since the AS5 will set in the first 200 hours under normal conditions, but I am impatient. I plug the fan back in and watch my temps drop like a rock.

I have a AthlonX2 4400+ with a Zalman 7700CU heatsink and it idles at 32C and at 100% load on both cores it goes up to 48C with the CPU fan at 5V. And it only reaches 48C when I torture test running two instances of Prime 95. This never happen under normal use. That quite good since the dual core puts out 110W, while yours only puts out 67W. We have the same heatsink and my processor puts out almost twice the heat, there is no way you should be getting warmer temps than me.

damn, i cant figure out what im doing wrong. i spread out the AS5 manually and im idling at 45-48C

BulletHole24 said:
damn, i cant figure out what im doing wrong. i spread out the AS5 manually and im idling at 45-48C

Oh, I almost forgot. Once you place the heatsink down on the processor, do not lift it up. If you place the heatsink down and then lift it back up, it will create air pockets. So line up the holes and set the heatsink down on the processor. If you have to adjust it a little, slide it don't lift up and set it back down. Do not let the heatsink tilt or loose contact with the processor. If it does, clean everything and reapply.

brom42 said:
Oh, I almost forgot. Once you place the heatsink down on the processor, do not lift it up. If you place the heatsink down and then lift it back up, it will create air pockets. So line up the holes and set the heatsink down on the processor. If you have to adjust it a little, slide it don't lift up and set it back down. Do not let the heatsink tilt or loose contact with the processor. If it does, clean everything and reapply.

i already knew that :) i made sure not to lift it. but anyway, why must i be the dumbest of the dumb? i just turned on AMD Cool N Quiet (i dont know why i forgot all about this) and now ASUS Probe is reading 34-35C idle

BulletHole24 said:
i already knew that :) i made sure not to lift it. but anyway, why must i be the dumbest of the dumb? i just turned on AMD Cool N Quiet (i dont know why i forgot all about this) and now ASUS Probe is reading 34-35C idle

Do you have another motherboard you can try. You sound like you are doing everything right. You could have a bad motherboard or on-die sensor.

brom42 said:
Do you have another motherboard you can try. You sound like you are doing everything right. You could have a bad motherboard or on-die sensor.

you saying 34-35C idle is bad (i dont even have my AC on right now and i havent even waited 200 hours for the AS5 yet)?

BulletHole24 said:

BulletHole24 said:
you saying 34-35C idle is bad (i dont even have my AC on right now and i havent even waited 200 hours for the AS5 yet)?

Are your idle temps 45-48C or 34-35C?

If they are 34-35C close this thread and have a nice day. Otherwise pop open prime 95 and let it run for awhile. I say overnight and possibly till you get home from work. Shutdown the computer for about 15 mins, turn it on and see what your Idle temps are then.

Also, again as has already been posted, it is possible that your sensor that is reporting your temps IS WRONG.

-bn

well before i turned AMD Quiet n Cool on, i was idling at 45... now that it's on it's reporting 35... what's Prime95?

BulletHole24 said:

I'm lazy, I only read up to the part in the parentheses. That does sound much better. What are your load temps?

Tourture test with Prime95 and see how warm it gets.

well it has been running for a few minutes and my temp doesnt seem to be going any higher than 55C ( :mad: )

BulletHole24 said:
well it has been running for a few minutes and my temp doesnt seem to be going any higher than 55C ( :mad: )

Nothing wrong with that at all.....

My Winchester 3200+ @ 2500mhz 1.65v with arctic cooling freezer64 idles around 39degrees and under normal load about 53 degrees, after running prime95 torture test for 13 hours got as high as 60 degrees case temp and room temp @ 28 degrees ( think uguru is reperting room temp a little higher than it really is) but its stable and im happy.

BulletHole24 said:
well so far ive been running prime95 for 12 hours... how much longer should i run it for?

That should be plenty long enough. You should shut off prime95 and let the computer idle for a while and check the temps again. It may now run at a lower temp.

edit and don't worry about 50C running under prime95. As it calls it, it is a tourture test, your computer probably won't get that hot under normal conditions. Even if you are running F@H. Plus your are well under the max temp for your processor.

TheRapture said:
Most mobo readings are off one way or another, and not very many people verify the accuracy...

Agreed. I always consider my temp recording a +/-5C variable when testing. So you should set your shutdown temp atleast 5C below the max temp. No sensor is 100% accurate. Hell, I have a motherboard that reports that the 1.8ghz P4 is running at 19C with the default heatsink in a 25C room. Like that makes any sense. :rolleyes:

now it runs at 32C idle (please note this is running on AMD Quiet n Cool so the CPU frequency drops to 1000MHz when it's not doing anything and it goes up when it does do something).

I Just got my 3200 and xp-90 last thursday night, got it all put together, got it all up and running last night/today and boy i'm happy. i've got the xp-90 + AS5 and i'm runnning at 2500mhz (500mhz oc) and i'm probly going to push that higher later today. but i've got a 28C idle and 35C under load. i have about a paper thin layer of AS5 covering the whole proc and a layer probably half of that thickness on the entire base of my xp-90. before i applied that layer of as5 on my heatsink i also put a small blob in the middle of the heatsink and just rubbed it around the whole thing to fill in any cracks and then wiped off untill to my eyes it looked clean, then i applied a thin layer. this is all stuff i figured would be a good idea after searching through threads here at Hocp.

A bit of bad information going on near the middle of the thread. That picture that you showed is exactly how it shouldn't be applied. The idea is to use AS5 to fill in the gaps, and make the entire surface as smooth as possible so no gaps remain between the heatsink and the processor's heatspreader/core. It is not going to work well if you put a bit in the middle and call it a day. The thinner the layer, the better :) (btw your temps are fine)

so, what's the better application? a blob in the middle like artic silver suggests, or a thin layer manually spread out over the heatspreader?

if you manually spread it thin and evenly over the entire headspreader surface without intrucing any air pockets there's no reason it would hurt is there? maybe the artic silver method is less error prone, which is why they recommend it?

fluxion said:
so, what's the better application? a blob in the middle like artic silver suggests, or a thin layer manually spread out over the heatspreader?

I have found that there is no real difference between the temps with each method, if they are done correctly. Try out both yourself, see which one you can get better results with and use that one.

for AS5 to really set in you need to stress your computer - then turn it off for a few hours then one, then off for a few hours - dont leave it running 24/7 or the AS5 wont "settle" so to say - your CPU needs to cool completly off to room temperature.

AS5 is a thermal interface material (TIM). In order for it to, you know - interface - it needs to completely cover the surface area where the heatsink meets the cpu/heatspreader. Nothing less, nothing more (although covering more area than needed shouldn't hurt). Otherwise, it's not being used to its full potential.

As far as TIMs are concerned, less is more. They are just a medium meant to fill in the imperfect mating surfaces. They create a solid path for heat to travel from CPU to HSF and to prevent heat from collecting in any gaps, cracks, scratches, etc.

TheRapture said:

18C is quite a healthy temp to live in and the power bill ain't bad at all.

All my PC's have run cool and I'm happy with that.

We don't get the winter temps like in the US and Europe etc.

I find the best way of applyin AS5 is put a drop of AS5 on CPU. Move it around with your index finger covered with plastic wrap until it's evenly spread out. Use as little AS5 as possible. You do not need more than 3 small tiny drops.

Whatever is left on the plastic wrap, apply on the HSF and use more if needed. Clean off with paper towel so that it leaves the HSF base stained.

Install HSF.

That's it. You do not need more than a few drops of AS5.

Back