CPU bottlenecking with next gen GPUs - Specifically, is my 2700x going to bottleneck at varying resolutions?

Kalabalana

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone, like a lot of you here I am planning to upgrade my 4(?) year old GTX 1080 to a 3080 or Big Navi card shortly (or when in stock).
I was concerned if my 2700x might bottleneck these GPU's performance at varying resolutions, and was wondering what specific aspects of processing might be the culprit(s).
Thanks to any of you absolute gurus who have read this, and more so to those that would respond!

EDIT: After a lot more research, I am confident I will be able to squeeze the majority of GPU juice out at 4K, so I am not too worried (main reason for buying one of these guys is for my big screen gaming in the living room). Though for my own education, any tips on what to look for in CPU performance, just for my own knowledge would be appreciated. I imagine there are actions and latency considerations at a very technical level I know nothing about, but pertain to performance in gaming applications.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, like a lot of you here I am planning to upgrade my 4(?) year old GTX 1080 to a 3080 or Big Navi card shortly (or when in stock).
I was concerned if my 2700x might bottleneck these GPU's performance at varying resolutions, and was wondering what specific aspects of processing might be the culprit(s).
Thanks to any of you absolute gurus who have read this, and more so to those that would respond!

EDIT: After a lot more research, I am confident I will be able to squeeze the majority of GPU juice out at 4K, so I am not too worried (main reason for buying one of these guys is for my big screen gaming in the living room). Though for my own education, any tips on what to look for in CPU performance, just for my own knowledge would be appreciated. I imagine there are actions and latency considerations at a very technical level I know nothing about, but pertain to performance in gaming applications.
Not an expert - but my reading indicates that the cpu bottlenecks occurs at the lower resolutions. One way to look at this is that the new cards are getting every ounce of performance they can out of the CPU - but really are not taxed having to push so few pixels. I wrote a post suggesting that unless you are pushing higher pixels and higher refresh rates that the new cards are not necessary. It does not matter how big your screen is, btw, but how many pixels you are trying to use. That said - there are features to the cards (RT, VRAM etc) that keep it from being a complete waste of money - but using it for a 1080p, 60hz panel is kind of overkill.

Not an expert - but my reading indicates that the cpu bottlenecks occurs at the lower resolutions. One way to look at this is that the new cards are getting every ounce of performance they can out of the CPU - but really are not taxed having to push so few pixels. I wrote a post suggesting that unless you are pushing higher pixels and higher refresh rates that the new cards are not necessary. It does not matter how big your screen is, btw, but how many pixels you are trying to use. That said - there are features to the cards (RT, VRAM etc) that keep it from being a complete waste of money - but using it for a 1080p, 60hz panel is kind of overkill.
Thank you for your response, I came to the same conclusion, I also should've clarified when I said big screen I meant a higher resolution from my PC monitor (4K@60).

If you are aiming to play 4k@60 HZ, you have some time before the 2700x become an issue, you can look at many video online like those:

To have some idea, not only if you go down at 60 HZ with your setting (outside say Flight Sim) it probably need you reached GPU bottleneck a good while ago with high setting/RTX on, etc..., but at 4K with high setting for many game the difference between a 1700x and a 3700x even on a RTX 3080 is quite small and not just the avg FPS even on the 1% low, with a 2700x the difference is often nill.

Even with my 3440x1440, i'm not worried about my 2700x, its hardly ever stressed while my 2080S screams. I wouldn't worry.

It isnt resolution specific, thats largely down to the gpu.
It depends how many fps you want.

Back