Cox wants to turn your home WiFi into a public hotspot.

I fight with Cox on a weekly basis (work for an MSP). They are a terrible company. Cox will let you bring your own gear and I advise you do. Fuck paying rent for a modem/router only to have them turn on a guest ssid. I heard this news weeks ago and I couldn't believe it. I'm not sure how this isn't illegal. What if someone connected to your shit, and downloaded a bunch of illegal stuff?

check my original post but TLDR it has it's own IP addresses, it has absolutely no direct connection to your personal network and it doesn't effect your connection in any way. comcast has been using it for years without any issues.

and you can disable it..

I fight with Cox on a weekly basis (work for an MSP). They are a terrible company. Cox will let you bring your own gear and I advise you do. Fuck paying rent for a modem/router only to have them turn on a guest ssid. I heard this news weeks ago and I couldn't believe it. I'm not sure how this isn't illegal. What if someone connected to your shit, and downloaded a bunch of illegal stuff?

Others have addressed the concerns about the Wifi, but what issues are you fighting weekly? If it is residential feel free to message me and I might be able to help.

Others have addressed the concerns about the Wifi, but what issues are you fighting weekly? If it is residential feel free to message me and I might be able to help.
Thanks for the offer, it's business stuff though.

i went with the motorola MB8600.. haven't had a single issue with it. kinda pricey but realistically only needs to survive 11 months to pay for it's self at comcasts ridiculous rental prices.

I have the same modem, got it last summer after a bout with the arris one with the defective intel puma chipset. The 8600 has been completely problem free, and I highly recommend it.

Anyone know of any deals on a DOCSIS 3.1 modem right now? Just upgraded to Comcast gigabit and want to move away from their hardware.
well you can get a docsis 3.0 like the arris sb6190 that claims 1.4Gbps (think that's the one i have) for $83 new on amazon
i think you only need 3.1 if you have a faster than Gigabit connection. someone correct me if i'm wrong. 3.0 still does 32x8 so ???
edit: oh that's the one someone was complaining about. well i've had mine a quite a while down and it's worked fine. go figure.

Last edited:
No arguing for but ..... "What if ?"

The point being, it's a perfect out.

Back