Cox Raises Bandwidth Caps From 400GB to 2TB

HardOCP News

[H] News
It seems that Cox has decided to raise its bandwidth caps drastically without any fanfare, press release or even notifying its customers of the changes. The company's Ultimate Package was 400GB just a few days ago and now it is 2TB. :eek:

The Cox service I use never had a bandwidth cap per-say, but they would send me an notification letting me know I was getting up there. I will see what mine is when I get home...curious!

Recently I've started watching lots of stuff on youtube, so when going to bed I'll start some Day9 video. In past month or so Youtube added that new feature to automatically start playing next video... man so I now end up waking up and that shit has been streaming random videos for hours on end.

My usage past 3 months:
Feb 1261GB
March 1454GB
April 2163GB

I swear that 700GB extra is mainly due to Youtube's automatically play next video thing.

Anyways 2TB is not that hard to hit, just use Youtube more often.

Recently I've started watching lots of stuff on youtube, so when going to bed I'll start some Day9 video. In past month or so Youtube added that new feature to automatically start playing next video... man so I now end up waking up and that shit has been streaming random videos for hours on end.

My usage past 3 months:
Feb 1261GB
March 1454GB
April 2163GB

I swear that 700GB extra is mainly due to Youtube's automatically play next video thing.

More like leaving Youtube on when you go to bed will increase your usage.

You can disable the autoplay. There's a little slider under the player frame.

That YouTube commenter made me laugh my ass off hard. Can't figure out a way to solve the YouTube streaming problem, eh? LOL

its this cellphone cap or cable cap? I Don't see why cable caps should even exist in this time and day

I guess this is why we haven't gotten any new emails from Cox about the bandwidth usage.
We have Premier and it came with a 300GB cap and we would exceed it nearly every month, using 500-700GB.

300GB is too low in this day and age when games are up to 60GB to download, that's 1/5 of the months bandwidth right there.

Okay, that's SOMEWHAT better. More realistic for high speed use.

I'm not realistically expecting them to give everyone who gets a 50 Mbps connection 15TB a month of bandwidth.

Granted, if they're SELLING that type of connection, requiring additional fees for full usage is kinda dumb.

This should, at least, stop some of the worst abuses of bandwidth overage charges for a while.

I have that tier Cox internet and I hit 200mbit on a download the other day. It would take right at 23 hours to hit the new cap. Good thing I don't download 2TB files much :p

I signed up for a 30/5 business plan for unlimited bandwidth because the Ultimate plan had a 400GB cap at that time. I use about 600-700GB a month so this made sense. Now that this much higher cap is in place, I don't need the business plan anymore for the cap issue. I wonder if they will have mercy on me and let me go back to a normal residential plan.

I signed up for a 30/5 business plan for unlimited bandwidth because the Ultimate plan had a 400GB cap at that time. I use about 600-700GB a month so this made sense. Now that this much higher cap is in place, I don't need the business plan anymore for the cap issue. I wonder if they will have mercy on me and let me go back to a normal residential plan.

Uh 30mbit is not "UNLIMITED" it's not capped.

30mbit 24/7 is your limit.

600-700gb a month is just a bit over 1.5mbit / 100gb a week, so technically you were barely touching that 30mbit biz line at all. ;)

You can disable the autoplay. There's a little slider under the player frame.

Netflix has a thing where it pauses after a bit just to confirm you're still there. At first I didn't like it, but then I understood it was to save everyone's bandwidth.

We have their lowest tier service (50Mbps) and we had a 250gb per month, which we hit every few months when the family went on a downloading + viewing binge. I just logged in now to check and it's been bumped 350gb. Think we only got a warning once when we went waay over the cap, otherwise just a little over they didn't say anything.

My usage past 3 months:
Feb 1261GB
March 1454GB
April 2163GB

Haha I took a 2 week vacation beginning of the month last year and I blew my cap by watching Netflix Star Trek Voyager whole series and watch all of Chris Pirillo vlogs on YouTube.

lol, nice for the past year I've been hitting around 1.5 to 2 TB every month. They stopped sending me emails about my overages of 400gb a month a long time ago. I've never been disconnected, and the only problem I've had with them was a cable install issue where I told them if they charged me $20 I would disconnect my $100 a month internet and they could put the reason down as being "customer service representative" haha. I ended up with a $60 credit to my account and no problems since then :).

I pay $52 a month with Charter for 100Mbps down and 4Mbps (come on Charter, 4, really?) and I speed-test about 10% over that on both and no cap (and not a hidden cap, they specifically say no cap). I actually had to get a new router a year ago because mine didn't have gigabit so I was maxing out at ~85Mbps down. Other than a lack of a good up speed, I am happy with my service and price. However TV is another story at ~$85 a month.

Cox, with the Ultimate Package will have stiff competition.

3d9.png

I had Cox for a few years until last week when I switched to FIOS because my bill was getting too high and they wouldn't work with me at all. Cox's caps are really just "caps." They never do anything about going over the "limit." The most I've ever seen them do is send you a letter about using a lot of bandwidth.

Maybe they are trying to build up some positive Karma for a possible Time Warner merger :p

Suddenlink has a 500Gb cap and then its $10 per GB after that.

Figure in 7Gb per hour of HD Netflix for a family of five..
One hour a day per person and you break their cap in a few weeks.

Data Caps are a way of making cord cutters pay the difference of dropping cable.

so ultimate was bumped from 400gb to 2000gb and premier was only bumped from 300 to 700? I'm confused... why not at least 1000gb? bastards.

I don't understand something. Why have I never had a DL exceed 8mb/s? Is it supposed to hit 50 on a normal DL or is the speed dependent on the source of the file?

Cox has been my provider for 14 years now. Good company compared to the others.

Source.

your ISP gartunees speeds from your house into their network, beyond that they can not control anything.

They also tend to give priority to speed test sites so things look fast but if you are always only hitting 8Mb/s i would complain cause something isnt right.

I thought Comcast isn't capping?

Some Comcast locations have caps ... others do not ... mine tracks your usage against a possible cap but they aren't enforcing the cap at this time

I don't understand something. Why have I never had a DL exceed 8mb/s? Is it supposed to hit 50 on a normal DL or is the speed dependent on the source of the file?

Cox has been my provider for 14 years now. Good company compared to the others.

i can hit above my "max" speed from steam

are you sure its not 8 MB/sec which would be about 64mbps. mbps being what internet speed is normally advertised in

Some Comcast locations have caps ... others do not ... mine tracks your usage against a possible cap but they aren't enforcing the cap at this time

Mine is uncapped. They do however monitor uploads. When I was gone for a month I used a lot of plex and they sent me an angry email of all my suspicious wrong doings. Actually it was an email to let me know my usage spiked and they would start monitoring my usage if it kept spiking encase I was committing evils.

Back