Cox Not Allowed To Call Copyright Troll A Copyright Troll in Court

HardOCP News

[H] News
This doesn't seem fair. If you can't call a copyright troll a copyright troll in court, what else can you call them?

Internet provider Cox Communications is not allowed to use derogatory terms to describe Rightscorp during their upcoming trial. Terms such as “copyright troll,” “blackmailer,” and “extortionist” are off-limits and the same is true for Rightscorp's dire financial position.

But they clearly are. The whole thing is madness anymore. I don't torrent with the way things are going, im glad I don't.

How about "criminal enterprise", "mafia", "goblins" or "Orcs" ?

totally unfair to COX. I hope they appeal.

Not really, it's prejudicial. The judge has no other option but to limit that verbage.

Same reason you can't refer to defendants as certain terms. Like "murderer" or "sex obsessed freak".

Call them by their PC name...undocumented traveling internet displaced foreign visitor.

Not really, it's prejudicial. The judge has no other option but to limit that verbage.

Same reason you can't refer to defendants as certain terms. Like "murderer" or "sex obsessed freak".

Glad someone gets it. Yea this can't happen in court rooms as it is a blatant form of manipulation of the case. You must maintain a level of neutrality when in court so that only facts are assessed and not opinions.

My favorite is when a judge tells the jury to disregard a statement, like he's Agent K waving around a neuralyzer.

no different than why the State is prevented from calling you a criminal and must use the term "alleged" for whatever crime you are charged with ... we can make fun of legal speak all we want but it is designed to at least try for a fair and impartial trial proceeding (referring to one side in an argument as a criminal enterprise, even if true, is not designed to give an impartial result)

no different than why the State is prevented from calling you a criminal and must use the term "alleged" for whatever crime you are charged with ... we can make fun of legal speak all we want but it is designed to at least try for a fair and impartial trial proceeding (referring to one side in an argument as a criminal enterprise, even if true, is not designed to give an impartial result)

There is nothing fair and impartial about the US court system.

I seem to recall Rightscorp including all sorts of prejudicial language in their filings. Is that true, and were they called out on it too?

Back