Cox Argues That Pirates Shouldn't Lose Internet Access

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Cox was found guilty of willful contributory copyright infringement when it declined to disconnect alleged pirates, but the recent Supreme Court ruling concerning barring sex offenders from social media has given the company additional ammo for appeal. Their argument is that if convicted criminals have the right to use the Internet, accused file-sharers should have it, too. The company was ordered to pay music publisher BMG Rights Management $25 million in damages based on allegations of piracy monitoring outfit Rightscorp.

...Cox notes that the Government “may not suppress lawful speech as the means to suppress unlawful speech.” This would be the case if entire households lost Internet access because a copyright holder accused someone of repeated copyright infringements. “The Court’s analysis strongly suggests that at least intermediate scrutiny must apply to any law that purports to restrict the ability of a class of persons to access the Internet,” ISP writes. In its case against BMG, Cox was held liable because it failed to take appropriate action against frequent pirates, solely based on allegations of piracy monitoring outfit Rightscorp.

Plus the fact that if Cox has to turn off internet service for people, they're losing money from lost subs.....

This is a good thing, cause now you'll have a chance in court to prove your case. The way this was going was they THINK you're download illegal stuff they'll turn you off. Now just like any other crime you go to court.
The free ride for easy money from the lawyers may come to and end if this picks up steam.

I'm wondering just how many subscribers COX is losing? They must have a pretty high percentage to go to bat for them !!!

What happened to innocent till proven guilty? With these rights companies, they can accuse everyone of piracy without adequate proof and punish innocent people.

Yeah well, there's no industry that has a monopoly on pedophiles and sex offenders (outside of private prisons). Unfortunately for pirates, they're just destroying the movie and music business.

Cox won't disconnect them... but they will institute a low data cap for everyone which partially gets rid of at least the biggest file servers aka the "big fish". Anyway both are smart financial moves for them, no matter how you feel of them.

I don't understand why everyone is so determined to interject some moral rationalization into these kinds of stories. It's only business. And the moment it makes financial sense for Cox to be disconnecting pirates, they'll change in a split-second.

Cox won't disconnect them... but they will institute a low data cap for everyone which partially gets rid of at least the biggest file servers aka the "big fish". Anyway both are smart financial moves for them, no matter how you feel of them.

I don't understand why everyone is so determined to interject some moral rationalization into these kinds of stories. It's only business. And the moment it makes financial sense for Cox to be disconnecting pirates, they'll change in a split-second.
I just got notification that I now have a 1TB cap starting yesterday. I can buy 50gb blocks after that for $30. Love how they do that right when the steam sale got under way.

Got Cox here. Never got flagged in my 19 years of internet use until last month. GF asked me to grab some episodes of that one HBO show everyone loses their shit over. I was a bit hungover and forgot to flip on the VPN.

i know suddenlink will cut you off.. they did it to me last month, no internet on that account for 6 months.. but they were completly cool with just setting up an account in my girlfriends name and turn it right back on

Suddenlink just doesn't want to end up in the same situation as Cox.

Yeah well, there's no industry that has a monopoly on pedophiles and sex offenders (outside of private prisons). Unfortunately for pirates, they're just destroying the movie and music business.

Actually, the movie industry is predicted to hit 12million record this year.

I will play devil's advocate here. There is a different between a sex offender and a person pirating. The person pirating is using the internet to commit their crime and are in the process of committing it when you stop them. In the case of a sex offender first off there is a wide range of committed crime and on top of that they have already been to jail for that crime. Thus there is a difference between reviewing every sex offender and turning off internet access after has been found to appear to be pirating 6 separate times.

And video games.

Suddenlink just doesn't want to end up in the same situation as Cox.

Actually, the movie industry is predicted to hit 12million record this year.

I have no idea what this 12 million business is but my post was somewhat sarcastic

Reactions: Angry
like this
I will play devil's advocate here. There is a different between a sex offender and a person pirating. The person pirating is using the internet to commit their crime and are in the process of committing it when you stop them. In the case of a sex offender first off there is a wide range of committed crime and on top of that they have already been to jail for that crime. Thus there is a difference between reviewing every sex offender and turning off internet access after has been found to appear to be pirating 6 separate times.

Ever seen those people selling DVD's on the streets. Yeah, pirate. So same thing, real life or on the internet.

if i remember correctly at some time when COX or some other cable company was actually disconnecting service to comply with the ban but then same day they was back on under a new account so to satisfy that they had been disconnected,, evidently they could not be bothered doing it anymore and just flat out stopped disconnecting them resulting in this situation (might not have been same company)

its funny that you can be accused of doing somthing and get done for it and other times you do something more serious and nothing happens

Virgin Media in the UK sends me emails when i obtain stuff (don't think they can actually disconnect me but if that starts to happen i use the a VPN or better as it be faster a VPS (remote torrent box)

Ever seen those people selling DVD's on the streets. Yeah, pirate. So same thing, real life or on the internet.

And your point is? If you aren't doing it online then your ISP isn't involved. My point is that if your ISP is involved then 100% of the time they have some reason to think that you are doing something wrong (yes I am ignoring somebody else using your connection / spoofing.. etc). If you are a sex offender it could be a massive range of things so you need to make the choice for each person how you need to watch them after they get out of jail. So you are looking at very different cases.

of course they don't want people to lose internet.
How else would they charge 10$ per 50GB over the 1TB cap if not to these people?

And your point is? If you aren't doing it online then your ISP isn't involved. My point is that if your ISP is involved then 100% of the time they have some reason to think that you are doing something wrong (yes I am ignoring somebody else using your connection / spoofing.. etc). If you are a sex offender it could be a massive range of things so you need to make the choice for each person how you need to watch them after they get out of jail. So you are looking at very different cases.

Point is not all pirates use the internet, just like not all sex offenders use the internet.

we all have fear of internet security and fear of bad people in our neighborhoods, doesn't mean ISP should have the right to share personal information. ISP should never be involved, if we pay to get a service, than we should have the right to use it. The only rights ISP should share is those who commits murdered, those are the people who should be stop. ISP is like a VPN, we should have the right to keep our privacy to ourselves.

Nah

Point is not all pirates use the internet, just like not all sex offenders use the internet.

But again you are arguing a different point. If you go record every movie playing at the theater and sell it on the street corner you will never be effected by anything we are talking about here. It isn't until you go download the illegal UHD ripe from the production company every day and then burn them to disc to go sell on the corner that you are in this category being discussed here.

Unfortunately for pirates, they're just destroying the movie and music business.
NO, as we all know, the movie and music businesses are destroying themselves by not evolving with the times. Ripping off customers, or at least, doing things that make the customers feel ripped off, is what makes them more likely to feel entitled to take more than what the movie/music industry feels they should get. Selling DVD's in China for $2 that sell here for $15 or $20 will enrage the U.S. citizen. Same as when they sell a special album version of a song and you can only get it if you buy 11 other crappy songs; the customer feels ripped off. Reasonable price for a decent product, instead of outrageous prices for mediocre products. Just because you can charge people ridiculous prices doesn't mean it's a good thing to do, as evidenced by how they might and do retaliate.
The person pirating is using the internet to commit their crime and are in the process of committing it when you stop them..
By that logic, if I'm a repeat jaywalking offender using the street to commit my crime, they should remove the sidewalk to my house (and maybe even the street itself), or else, I might do it again!

NO, as we all know, the movie and music businesses are destroying themselves by not evolving with the times. Ripping off customers, or at least, doing things that make the customers feel ripped off, is what makes them more likely to feel entitled to take more than what the movie/music industry feels they should get. Selling DVD's in China for $2 that sell here for $15 or $20 will enrage the U.S. citizen. Same as when they sell a special album version of a song and you can only get it if you buy 11 other crappy songs; the customer feels ripped off. Reasonable price for a decent product, instead of outrageous prices for mediocre products. Just because you can charge people ridiculous prices doesn't mean it's a good thing to do, as evidenced by how they might and do retaliate.

By that logic, if I'm a repeat jaywalking offender using the street to commit my crime, they should remove the sidewalk to my house (and maybe even the street itself), or else, I might do it again!

Oh dude, I was being sarcastic about pirates destroying the movie and music business

Back