Cowboy Beebop live action at Netflix!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did? Ever since the literal first announcement. And have also done so in every announcement since.

Of course it's not gonna be 1:1, there's physical, animation and technical reasons that would never happen.

Also it's been nearly 25 years since the original. If you want to watch the original, watch the damn original.

I'm super hyped for this, but anything space bounty hunters makes me happy*. I'm hoping it is more modern than the old one because a lot of shit has happened in 25 years, even if most people on this forum are too goddamn scared of change to accept it.

*I enjoyed Killjoys for fucks sake.
The trailer excited me more than the initial promos (though I'm still not sure about the Faye casting and costume changes). I love the anime, and I'm going to give this a fair chance. Most Netflix productions aren't great per se, but they are usually fun.

Killjoys was a fun show (got a little weird, but still fun).

even if most people on this forum are too goddamn scared of change to accept it.

Dude, if we were scared of change or different things, we wouldn't have watched Cowboy Bebop in the first place. We're not scared, we're just fucking tired of woke assholes destroying our shit for a quick buck and then blaming us for not liking garbage.

Yeah, it’s gonna be such a shame when all trace of the original anime version is destroyed and replaced with this remake, and no one will ever be able to watch the original again. Stupid Netflix, taking away our stuff. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it’s gonna be such a shame when all trace of the original anime version is destroyed and replaced with this remake, and no one will ever be able to watch the original again. Stupid Netflix, taking away our stuff. :rolleyes:
The way I see it if the original was any good there would have been more of it. A full reboot is obviously needed because the old stuff really showed some promise.

The way I see it if the original was any good there would have been more of it. A full reboot is obviously needed because the old stuff really showed some promise.
or sometimes the best things are lightning in a bottle that can never be recaptured.

I'll give it a shot, but the idea that most critics are 'scared' of something like this is a laughable narrative. I'm a skeptic, not scared. Anime does not adapt well to live action add in the hyper partisan ideologes of current year and it can easily go off the rails.

Reactions: Axman
like this
507160_BebopTrailerNFspacecop.png

The way I see it if the original was any good there would have been more of it.

I mean, they told the whole story. And there was more after, sorta, with the movie.

Ballykissangel tried to extend the show beyond the main story arc and it was pretty lame after that. It's OK for a show to have an ending. We're practically accustomed to shows like Firefly getting the ax before they even get started, but that wasn't the case with Cowboy Bebop.

I mean, they told the whole story. And there was more after, sorta, with the movie.

Ballykissangel tried to extend the show beyond the main story arc and it was pretty lame after that. It's OK for a show to have an ending. We're practically accustomed to shows like Firefly getting the ax before they even get started, but that wasn't the case with Cowboy Bebop.
I don't know man if they can keep Naruto on the air for 25 years they could have gotten the bebop an additional season or 3

I don't know man if they can keep Naruto on the air for 25 years they could have gotten the bebop an additional season or 3

Or like, an Ed/Ein spinoff, even. I know Ed is probably the least liked character because she was comic relief, but they could have matured and darkened her as she and Ein made their way after (not going to spoiler it).

No,No,thats 'Problematic',we cant have the 'male gaze' infecting current year entertainment....

I would suggest folks stick to the OG anime,it is actually good.
Oh noes, I just don't know if Cowboy Bebop would be the same without butt shots and cleavage. I mean, that's what it was entirely know for, right? That was its one and only defining feature?

Good content in the previews. I saw blacksploitation shaft and domino from mushroom samba, ed in the TV tree, Asimov from red eye. At the very least they're not m night shyamalaning an avatar.

In the 90's i was curious and interested in Anime.

I watched Akira with a few friends. it was supposed to be the best Anime film ever, but it was the worst pile of shit I've ever seen. Completely disjointed and impossible to follow with no cohesive story arc. I wanted two hours of my life back, and this was when I was a teenager and time was so much less important to me than it is today.

Then in college my roommate was obsessed with Dragonballz. Oh my god was that shit awful. I can't believe anyone over age 12 would ever find that watchable.

In college I was also forcefully exposed to shine shit game series called Final Fantasy. The spikey haired nonsense was strong and utterly intolerable. Ive also been exposed to Naruto. Just ugh.

I gave it the cIollege try. I even tried to absorb some of the supposed higher quality stuff. Someone recommended Studio Ghibli stuff. I watched Spirited Away. It absolutely bored me to tears.

My conclusion is that absolutely anything and everything in entertsinment to come out of Japan, animated or video game is completely and utterly intolerable. That coountry is an entertaiment wasteland of utter nonsense.

I have learned my lesson. If something comes from Japan, or is created by someone from Japan, I won't waste my time on it.

Final fantasy 6 was great everything after sucked and it sounds like you started on 7. 7 just had the first 3d graphics and an interesting main char and antag back story. 6 pretty dated now though.

Naruto is trash.
Akira is truly horrible in all respects except for the animation.
Spirited away pretty much as above except the animation is not even that good.
DBZ has its moments but not for everyone. Also you have to use the american music.

The good studio ghibli stuff is - Grave of the Fireflies, Ocean Waves, Howls Moving Castle, princess mononoke, kikis delivery service. Roughly in that order.

Good mangas: One Punch Man, Made in the Abyss, Berserk.
Ok mangas: land of lustrous, jojo
AoT unfortunately got a GoT ending though it could have been the goat until the last 20 chapters.

Good anime:
From Akira era but not shit: the ORIGINAL ghost in the shell movie
Kenshin Trust and Betrayal
Made in the abyss
S1 one punch man
S1 and S2 part1 JoJo. Maybe s4 too. Definitely not s2 part 2 and s3.
Paprika
FLCL
Original Berserk
Hero Academia all seasons
Mushishi
Escaflowne movie
Elfenlied
Cowboy bebop
JJK
Ok anime:
Full metal alchemist
Hunter x hunter
Trigun
Ghost in the shell

These guys that think bebop is the goat probably havent seen Made in the Abyss, og Berserk, or One Punch Man. Trust snd Betrayal, grave of fireies, and Ghost in the Shell are also better but they are movies not shows to be fair.

Back on topic- justice league animators or hell even the CW animators combined with The Raid choreography and maybe a live action would be ok.

Last edited:
Final fantasy 6 was great everything after sucked and it sounds like you started on 7. 7 just had the first 3d graphics and an interesting main char and antag back story. 6 pretty dated now though.

Naruto is trash.
Akira is truly horrible in all respects except for the animation.
Spirited away pretty much as above except the animation is not even that good.
DBZ has its moments but not for everyone. Also you have to use the american music.

The good studio ghibli stuff is - Grave of the Fireflies, Ocean Waves, Howls Moving Castle, princess mononoke, kikis delivery service. Roughly in that order.

Good mangas: One Punch Man, Made in the Abyss, Berserk.
Ok mangas: land of lustrous, jojo
AoT unfortunately got a GoT ending though it could have been the goat until the last 20 chapters.

Good anime:
From Akira era but not shit: the ORIGINAL ghost in the shell movie
Kenshin Trust and Betrayal
Made in the abyss
S1 one punch man
S1 and S2 part1 JoJo. Maybe s4 too. Definitely not s2 part 2 and s3.
Paprika
FLCL
Original Berserk
Hero Academia all seasons
Mushishi
Escaflowne movie
Elfenlied
Cowboy bebop
JJK
Ok anime:
Full metal alchemist
Hunter x hunter
Trigun
Ghost in the shell

These guys that think bebop is the goat probably havent seen Made in the Abyss, og Berserk, or One Punch Man. Trust snd Betrayal, grave of fireies, and Ghost in the Shell are also better but they are movies not shows to be fair.

Back on topic- justice league animators or hell even the CW animators combined with The Raid choreography and maybe a live action would be ok.
I've see most of those and prefer Cowboy Bebop over Grave of the Fireflies. However, that's really comparing apples to oranges as they are very different in tone and style. I was very frustrated with the characters in it, which may affect my perception of it. It was very well made. I love Spirited Away, too. I cannot watch DBZ or an anime like Full Meal Alchemist, they do not work for me at all.

My only point is that everyone's tastes are different and that's the long and short of it.

Also back on topic, I would totally watch that show. lol

Last edited:
People who think they're the only authority on what is "good" when trying to reference the entire media output of decades of works from an entire country. 😂

I've been watching anime for decades, been playing games for longer, I've watched the entirety of the "top 100 films of all time" (circa 2010 or so) and that's only part of my 2000+ movie strong personal collection. We have nearly a bookshop worth of sci-fi novels and I have absolutely nowhere near the audacity to consider myself a final authority on what is good.

For every bit of media I've experienced, I know there's 10-20 unknown works that I'll never get around too.

I personally don't care for entire genres - sitcoms just aren't my thing - but that doesn't mean that other people can't enjoy them or that they're not valid. 😂

Last edited:
imo still feels very low energy, like they are standing around in sand or something. maybe editing could improve it, I dunno... I've seen much snappier feeling stuff, wish it were more like that. can't say much about the acting, except they all feel 20 years older than in the series?

Too bad the Keanu version failed. Spike is supposed to be a pretty big guy, replacing him with a manlet seems like a travesty :D

It’s got the flash and style, IMO. It’s just a question whether it’s got the substance to go with it.

I don’t even mind if they make major plot and backstory changes, so long as it’s consistent.

new teaser. Hope you're not sick of hearing the Tank! theme.

Wow, looks ridiculous and overacted.

I wonder how many 10's of millions netflix dumped into this. It's 2021, is it really so hard to come up with the next star wars or lotr? Is this why they keep mining up the old classics, soiling them with empty plots, over blown action, shitty actors, zero character development and a slathering of wokeism? My money is on a lack of imagination and talent, no doubt a byproduct of growing up without social interaction, induced by staring into a cell phone since age 4, gg facebook and twitter.

It's 2021, is it really so hard to come up with the next star wars or lotr?

It is when raging internet fanboys immediately hate everything that doesn’t conform to their loosely defined, poorly articulated, internalized vision of how something “should” be.

For everyone taking this so personally, here’s the version you want:

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Cowboy-Bebop-Blu-ray-Complete-Series-Hyb

honestly, I hope this is amazing and does really well for them and sends all the cave dwellers into a frothing rage in some dark corner of Reddit.

And if it turns out to be a dud, well, see above link.

yup, looks like youtuber fan-fic.

That is exactly the feeling I got from this teaser myself. The acting felt a bit wooden and just "off". Just like a fan movie which was probably done with a lot if heart but lacking talent and/or good directing. 🤔 But then again this was just a teaser and those scenes and dialog were filmed just for it. Hopefully the actual serie will be good because Cowboy Bepop is one of my favourite (out of the few) anime series that I love.

Wow, looks ridiculous and overacted.

I wonder how many 10's of millions netflix dumped into this. It's 2021, is it really so hard to come up with the next star wars or lotr? Is this why they keep mining up the old classics, soiling them with empty plots, over blown action, shitty actors, zero character development and a slathering of wokeism? My money is on a lack of imagination and talent, no doubt a byproduct of growing up without social interaction, induced by staring into a cell phone since age 4, gg facebook and twitter.
That was pretty melodramatic

My money is on a lack of imagination and talent, no doubt a byproduct of growing up without social interaction, induced by staring into a cell phone since age 4, gg facebook and twitter.
Eh, with these reboots I feel it's almost always some rich out-of-touch folk trying to turn a safe return on investment. There are very talented writers/artists out there creating original stuff, they just rarely get the light of day especially the more innovative they are, at least in the US

Reactions: PeaKr
like this
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back