Cowboy Beebop live action at Netflix!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1630792886555.png

I found another reason to hate dubs recently. Other than I love my Japanese voice actors. My avatar show who I like. I saw a clip on Youtube of Island episode 12 in English. The main girl Rinne was singing in the kitchen in Japanese and then switches over to English for the audio, It just pissed me off. Also the fact than I would rather listen to Tamura Yukari.

Don't have much experience with anime dubs, but in other foreign shows I have watched I usually prefer subtitles to dubs, as it much better conveys the feeling and tone of the scene to hear it in its original language.

That's how I watched the Polish show, 1984.

In the 90's i was curious and interested in Anime.

I watched Akira with a few friends. it was supposed to be the best Anime film ever, but it was the worst pile of shit I've ever seen. Completely disjointed and impossible to follow with no cohesive story arc. I wanted two hours of my life back, and this was when I was a teenager and time was so much less important to me than it is today.

Then in college my roommate was obsessed with Dragonballz. Oh my god was that shit awful. I can't believe anyone over age 12 would ever find that watchable.

In college I was also forcefully exposed to shine shit game series called Final Fantasy. The spikey haired nonsense was strong and utterly intolerable. Ive also been exposed to Naruto. Just ugh.

I gave it the cIollege try. I even tried to absorb some of the supposed higher quality stuff. Someone recommended Studio Ghibli stuff. I watched Spirited Away. It absolutely bored me to tears.

My conclusion is that absolutely anything and everything in entertsinment to come out of Japan, animated or video game is completely and utterly intolerable. That coountry is an entertaiment wasteland of utter nonsense.

I have learned my lesson. If something comes from Japan, or is created by someone from Japan, I won't waste my time on it.

It's like you are a walking hot take.

Technically I did ask.

In the 90's i was curious and interested in Anime.

I watched Akira with a few friends. it was supposed to be the best Anime film ever, but it was the worst pile of shit I've ever seen. Completely disjointed and impossible to follow with no cohesive story arc. I wanted two hours of my life back, and this was when I was a teenager and time was so much less important to me than it is today.

Then in college my roommate was obsessed with Dragonballz. Oh my god was that shit awful. I can't believe anyone over age 12 would ever find that watchable.

In college I was also forcefully exposed to shine shit game series called Final Fantasy. The spikey haired nonsense was strong and utterly intolerable. Ive also been exposed to Naruto. Just ugh.

I gave it the cIollege try. I even tried to absorb some of the supposed higher quality stuff. Someone recommended Studio Ghibli stuff. I watched Spirited Away. It absolutely bored me to tears.

My conclusion is that absolutely anything and everything in entertsinment to come out of Japan, animated or video game is completely and utterly intolerable. That coountry is an entertaiment wasteland of utter nonsense.

I have learned my lesson. If something comes from Japan, or is created by someone from Japan, I won't waste my time on it.
I don't disagree with you and even share similar opinions about a great deal of the specific films and shows you mentioned. However, I still wouldn't go so far as to say all anime is shit and make a blanket judgement call like that.

But it comes from Japan ...

There is an exception to every rule, and peppergomez testimonial suggests that he has had similar experiences to mine, but still likes it.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong. It just hasn't happened yet.

This thread is more entertaining than the show is going to be.

And I'll add that the only 2 anime I ever liked are Trigun and Cowboy Bebop, everything else I didn't bother with.

I may have to give it a try then.
I'm not the first to say this, probably not the first 1000 even, but it's really an anime for people that don't even like anime. Will agree with peppergomez 100%, it is in a class above what most anime is associated with.

Not some copy-paste shounen cheese or kawaii magical schoolgirl shit. Gritty without being wantonly gory. Heavily influenced by American blues/jazz in every facet, evident immediately from the soundtrack and less immediately from the plot themes (even a lot of the episode titles are taken from classic rock songs). It has its whimsical or comedic moments but without overdoing it like you'd probably expect from anime; other times it is sobering but without leaving you feeling like your soul was sucked.

Maybe you'll like it, maybe not, but this is one that is really worth risking the time lost to at least try. Besides, you think we're going to let you not try it? At the very least, don't watch a live-action adaptation before trying the original.

Also, another thing i'm not the among first 1000 to say, it is a rare case of the English dub being just as watchable even if you're a die-hard subtitle guy for foreign works.

I'm not the first to say this, probably not the first 1000 even, but it's really an anime for people that don't even like anime. Will agree with peppergomez 100%, it is in a class above what most anime is associated with.

Not some copy-paste shounen cheese or kawaii magical schoolgirl shit. Gritty without being wantonly gory. Heavily influenced by American blues/jazz in every facet, evident immediately from the soundtrack and less immediately from the plot themes (even a lot of the episode titles are taken from classic rock songs). It has its whimsical or comedic moments but without overdoing it like you'd probably expect from anime; other times it is sobering but without leaving you feeling like your soul was sucked.

Maybe you'll like it, maybe not, but this is one that is really worth risking the time lost to at least try. Besides, you think we're going to let you not try it? At the very least, don't watch a live-action adaptation before trying the original.

Also, another thing i'm not the among first 1000 to say, it is a rare case of the English dub being just as watchable even if you're a die-hard subtitle guy for foreign works.
Nailed it. 100% correct assessment.

Don't have much experience with anime dubs, but in other foreign shows I have watched I usually prefer subtitles to dubs, as it much better conveys the feeling and tone of the scene to hear it in its original language.

That's how I watched the Polish show, 1984.
So the main reason I prefer subs over dubs is that not only do you lose some of the meaning by using different voice actors and their expressions, the translation also has to match the lip flaps so the words on the dub can substantially differ form the direct translation sometimes. Also if you are not that familiar with Japanese culture, some things simply don't translate into English without a lot of more history and detail behind it. Of course there will always be things lost in translation, even with the subs but we all can't be fluent in Japanese (I just know a few phrases).

If you like murder mysteries, I would strongly advise watching Odd Taxi. It is one of the best anime I have seen in years, and I watch a good amount of anime. So many Chekhov's guns in that one and it is a slow burn but man that last episode (of 13) is a banger. It is like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie had a baby and that baby wrote Odd Taxi.

So the main reason I prefer subs over dubs is that not only do you lose some of the meaning by using different voice actors and their expressions, the translation also has to match the lip flaps so the words on the dub can substantially differ form the direct translation sometimes. Also if you are not that familiar with Japanese culture, some things simply don't translate into English without a lot of more history and detail behind it. Of course there will always be things lost in translation, even with the subs but we all can't be fluent in Japanese (I just know a few phrases).

If you like murder mysteries, I would strongly advise watching Odd Taxi. It is one of the best anime I have seen in years, and I watch a good amount of anime. So many Chekhov's guns in that one and it is a slow burn but man that last episode (of 13) is a banger. It is like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie had a baby and that baby wrote Odd Taxi.
I'm less concerned with "the meaning" of what they say because really there isn't much of a difference, 99% of the anime we are talking about here isn't so deep that the minute difference is going to have any impact on how it is interpreted by the watcher. What most concerns me is how god damned annoying the voice actors can be for some of that stuff, some times the Japanese audio or the English audio is just so unlistenable that I will be forced to change over to the other just to maintain what little shreds of sanity I have remaining. And in the few rare cases that both are terrible, I don't care "how great it is" I am going to pass and probably just read the Manga or the LN because it's going to be better there anyway.

Check out Illang: The Wolf Brigade on Netflix. It's a live-action of an anime (and originally a manga). Netflix did a good job.

I may have to give it a try then.

If anyone asks me if I like anime, I say no, but I do like Cowboy Bebop.
I like you have tried different ones. This is one of the very small handful of animes I like. Elfen Lied is another, and Attack on Titan. Every other I try I lose interest or it is just stupid and I don't watch more than one episode.

Also you've got to use subtitles. The original voice inflections even though foreign are better than the terrible voice actors they use to dub.

Also you've got to use subtitles. The original voice inflections even though foreign are better than the terrible voice actors they use to dub.
That's not necessary with Bebop. The English voice acting is excellent.

90% of the anime out there is shit but there are some real gems. Trigun and Cowboy Bebop are the shining stars but some people may not get it. Vash acts the fool but in no way is he one. The dichotomy of his childlike, well natured innocence and his ruthless conviction is something to behold. Who can forget Nicholas D. Wolfwood, Legato, the Gung Ho Guns, Milly & Meryl and even Kuroneko 'Meow'. One of my fav things about Trigun is the way it morphs from being silly into a chaotic symphony of tension and betrayal, the soundtrack multiplys this feeling greatly. Cowboy Bebop is a sci-fi noir dream with complex characters fused in a 1960's type space art anime with jazz. It's better than most sci-fi ever produced. Faye Valentine is a lithe, hot as fuck, mostly selfish tomboy with a quick wit, itchy trigger finger and a tiny bit of heart. She uses her beauty as leverage but she's not the type to bother with makeup or looking into a mirror because she hates most people. This Pineda woman looks nothing like her. Netflix will fuck this up. It's like a cover, there just aren't many songs better than their originals. A few come to mind like Pantera's version of Black Sabbath's 'Planet Caravan' or Sublimes 'Summertime'.

Most anime is better with subs than dubs but it's not always the case. Trigun and Bebop shine brighter with the latter, anyway that's my 2¢.

Some of my favs; Fist of The North Star (the movie, the series sucked), Ninja Scroll, Princess Mononoke, Wicked City, Cyber City Oedo 808, Demon City Shinjuku, Vampire Hunter D, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, Vexille, Evangelion, Ghost in The Shell (original).

btw, Trigun cult fans might be interested in 'Fame-ish'.

I don't disagree with you and even share similar opinions about a great deal of the specific films and shows you mentioned. However, I still wouldn't go so far as to say all anime is shit and make a blanket judgement call like that.

I've known people that dismiss all animated media. It's all cartoons to them, and isn't considered entertainment media for adults; even though there's been prime-time general audience animated media for over fifty years. And people in general have always turned a cocked eye at anime fans for as long as I can remember. And that's not ever going to change.

It's simply a bias. It doesn't have to be rational or make sense.

"Monster" is the most non-anime-ish anime series I've watched, if you're ever interested in trying again that's what I'd recommend.

I came across the manga in high school, and have been trying to remember what that was since. Thanks for the inadvertent heads up.

Reactions: Youn
like this
I have no problem with the casting.

Jet was voiced by a black man (Beau Billingslea) back in the day and for someone who loves the voices of DUB anime the new casting fits. When I hear him in other anime. Ex Rom in "Zero, Starting Life in Another World", I declare that's Jet. He's old now, so a young actor is probably a requirement. I just hope his voice is up to the task.

Faye's voice (Wendee Lee) is recognizable but I often can't pick it out. As hot as she was, her character was defined by much more than that, lost memories, debt, tragedy, flightiness.

Spike. (Steve Blum) I will judge when I hear him say "Bad Move" I don't hear him in modern DUBs and looking at his IMDB he's gone all Disney/mainstream. That's ok. There are plenty of good voice actors in DUB today.

The real judgement will come when some of the lesser characters make the scene. The whole Mafia / Blaxploitation characters will be hard to pass the modern wokeness filters. Will there be a Mushroom Samba? (Domino Walker) As much as I get wokeness, I loved some of the characters that many will find over the top. Transvestites will fit in, but the mystery around them won't.

I have yet to find a Live Action that pasts muster. Full Metal I got about 15min in and gave up.

I don't know, I think it actually looks good. Better than I was expecting at least.

Don't let the music nostalgia get to you. If anyone other than Netflix made this fanfic video it would be struck down for copyright infringement.
Funnily enough, that's exactly how it works when you have the blessing of the copyright holder. Strange, that...

that intro thing could've been improved if they just played the music to a montage of the entire cast falling asleep

Could be okay.
It might actually be. But it's not 100% true to the source and they should just admit it.

But, if they admit it they have to explain why. Either they endorse the political driver of the changes or they say they needed to placate the folk pushing those changes out of fear. Neither admission works out well for them.

They still should admit it and let the politics work itself out. If cuties can't get Netflix ended or to say uncle, admitting they can't show a hot fem fatale in current year shouldn't either.

It might actually be. But it's not 100% true to the source and they should just admit it.
They did? Ever since the literal first announcement. And have also done so in every announcement since.

Of course it's not gonna be 1:1, there's physical, animation and technical reasons that would never happen.

Also it's been nearly 25 years since the original. If you want to watch the original, watch the damn original.

I'm super hyped for this, but anything space bounty hunters makes me happy*. I'm hoping it is more modern than the old one because a lot of shit has happened in 25 years, even if most people on this forum are too goddamn scared of change to accept it.

*I enjoyed Killjoys for fucks sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back