Cowboy Beebop live action at Netflix!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really care if it's "woke" its either good or bad, they could make half the universe a bunch of leather-clad gender-fluid furries with a Carebear fetish, but if they manage to make it work and it's overall a good story then at the end of the day it doesn't matter.
That isn't woke. Woke is a bunch of condescending crap that insults everyone that is not in the protected victim group of the day.

Live action Neon Genesis Evangelion somehow seemed more promising, with Weta working on it, maybe it'll come back... but yea, the original is always best, especially since nowadays everything is scrubbed for anything slightly concerning to extreme feminists and the weirdly excited pedo-police-patrol

Speed Racer and Battle Angel Alita were good live-action films. The Guyver was also great, if you want to go back some years.

Speed Racer is an absolutely incredible film and one of my faves. Nothing else has ever done Anime Live Action anywhere near as well as that film did.
Speed Racer is proof that marketing can make or break a movie. So many shit movies with great marketing do so well. Yet Speed Racer being a great movie had such poor marketing. It deserved far better than it received.

I guess I should have used apostrophes, but english is not my main language.

No you were right originally. You can't use apostrophes to substitute double quotation marks, and you can't use double quotations to replace apostrophes. And you can always use single quotation marks to substitute apostrophes. Because of this, our keyboards don't have true keys for both, instead, we just use straight quotation marks, and if we need to be specific, we use typesetting software to format around that.

Have some convincing Faye cosplay.

cowboy_bebop___faye_valentine_by_shadecramer-d9aafbm.jpg

Nothing Anime turned live action has ever gone well. The Draganball live action film nearly destroyed the franchise but thanks to Dragon Ball Super nobody remembers it. All they're doing is ruining a classic. Unless the creators of the original show are involved, I don't want to know this even exists.

Death Note 2006 wasn't bad.

But yeah, its pretty rare! I also don't really trust this when we already know it's missing Ed

Last edited:
That isn't woke. Woke is a bunch of condescending crap that insults everyone that is not in the protected victim group of the day.
Entertainment has always been filled with a bunch of condescending crap. Historically it was chauvinistic, among other things. I guess you could say it reflects society.

Loved the original Cowboy Bebop. Still listen to the theme song occasionally. Might give this remake a shot.

Netflix needs to step up their game...the quality of their original programming has been declining over the past 2 years or so...HBO Max, Disney+, Apple TV+ are on their heels and they haven't responded well...I do give them credit for launching a ton of international content but other then Stranger Things and a few others the USA originals are now mostly geared towards a young adult audience

Brand New Cherry Flavor was pretty damn good. Netflix is doing fine with their programming if you actually look.

I want a Ghost Stories live action (using the official English dub). Alas it will never happen because the entire thing is anti-PC. Although I would settle for a KonoSuba live action remake. #genderequality :ROFLMAO:

I have little faith that this will end up any good.

BTW I have "Tank" as my phone ringtone.

RIP MPU, you were a great artist. (obscure Cowboy Bebop reference)

No Ed no like but I wouldn't be suprised if they have her as a mysterious presence affecting their ships systems and then she gets revealed eventually as the one messing with them.

I don't have high hopes for it. It has that distinct tick box smell to it where they've gone through checking boxes off by committee rather than just making sure it's good. Casting is off as well, Spike should have been a younger actor, and Faye should have been a femme fatale choice instead of a homely choice. She couldn't get away with most of the stuff she does in the anime without it.

Of course I'd love to be wrong, CB one of my favourite anime series.

Of course I'd love to be wrong, CB one of my favourite anime series.

If it's bad we'll just pretend it never existed. I'll bet the original Cowboy Bebop show and manga end up earning more money than this will following the remake.

One thing I guarantee that will be in every episode at every opportunity will be that Faye will be just as physically strong or stronger than any male character around her. She'll beat up more guys than Spike and Jet combined.

Speed Racer is an absolutely incredible film and one of my faves. Nothing else has ever done Anime Live Action anywhere near as well as that film did.
I never saw the live action film.
Speed Racer and Battle Angel Alita were good live-action films. The Guyver was also great, if you want to go back some years.
Again, never saw either of those. I am a huge fan of the Guyver Manga and all it's various animated and live action versions. I have a soft spot for the two live-action movies but I wouldn't call them good. Especially not the first one. They are also a far cry from the Manga as it deviates considerably from the source material.
I don't really care if it's "woke" its either good or bad, they could make half the universe a bunch of leather-clad gender-fluid furries with a Carebear fetish, but if they manage to make it work and it's overall a good story then at the end of the day it doesn't matter.
You misunderstand. If something is "woke" it will be shit. Wokeness isn't about representation and equality despite what they tell you. Woke things are preachy annoying and favor themes over story and substance. Weirdly, by some standards you could argue the anime might be seen as woke through a modern lens. There are cross dressers, homosexuals and even a character that's arguably non-binary or trans. Actually, kind of two non-binaries. In any event, there is quite a bit of representation in the anime. But it never lectures you with identity politics. The characters are what they are and their sexuality or biology has nothing to do with it beyond a basic description. Characters live or die with audiences based on what they bring to the story and how entertaining they are to watch. Nothing more, nothing less.

If they do the same thing with the live action show, it may be seen as woke because of the representation but that would be inline with the source material. As long as they can keep the political correctness out of it it's got a chance at being good. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Netflix can do that.

I'm on the second episode of that. I hadn't ever seen it before. I'm not sure I like it. It is a very strange show.
If it´s the first season, it´s not all that bizarre just yet, it´s mostly an introduction to Joestar and his rival. Now from the second season on, it really gets weird and that´s why I love it, you can never guess what comes next.

I only watched the first episode of the JoJo reboot, but I did see the original series back in the day.

I am a huge fan of the original Cowboy Bebop, I gave it a 10/10. I do not see a reason to even make these live action versions. Uchuu Senkan Yamato was bad enough already. What are they going to destroy next. I would cry if they ever tried a live action To aru Index or Railgun (A certain) series.

I am a huge fan of the original Cowboy Bebop, I gave it a 10/10. I do not see a reason to even make these live action versions. Uchuu Senkan Yamato was bad enough already. What are they going to destroy next. I would cry if they ever tried a live action To aru Index or Railgun (A certain) series.
I don't have high hopes. Spike is basically Bruce Lee so I don't know how they're going to do with fight choreography, especially with that actor.I don't know how they're going to do with anything really. I have my expectations set to absolute zero. Maybe they'll shock us all and pull something off.

Reactions: Axman
like this
I don't have high hopes. Spike is basically Bruce Lee so I don't know how they're going to do with fight choreography, especially with that actor.I don't know how they're going to do with anything really. I have my expectations set to absolute zero. Maybe they'll shock us all and pull something off.
I have no hope at all. That us why i just stick with anime with subtitles.

I've actually come around to listening to dubs. I find the dubs these days are usually pretty good and I can look at the art rather than staring at text the whole time.

I find the dubs these days are usually pretty good and I can look at the art rather than staring at text the whole time.

I like to watch the dubs first, because the subtitles can spoiler things that haven't happened on-screen yet, then I watch the subtitle cut so I can get all the nuance.

I've actually come around to listening to dubs. I find the dubs these days are usually pretty good and I can look at the art rather than staring at text the whole time.
I find it interesting... Subtitles doesn't take away from the movie at all. I mean I always have them on, deaf myself, and I don't state at the screen and I practically don't miss anything on the screen. If you're a solute reader then maybe that'll be a private but did me it's mostly a snap gaze and I don't even realize it.

Nonetheless, it's an interesting perspective.

I'm looking forward to it and I hope they don't mess it up to much for being a live action adaption but will see how bad it is. The anime is too notch.

Last edited:
Dubs are getting worse by the year as translators take the liberty to rewrite characters and stories in their translations. In years prior it was understandable the choices they made to fit the animation of the mouths, but now they are all going fully Tumblr on the medium. Unfortunately it has also seeped into the subtitles now. Fan subtitles are back to being the only way to go these days.

Fan subtitles are back to being the only way to go these days.

Hah, that's crazy, I remember watching fan subs duped by some guy in his basement that for some reason my parents were cool with me visiting when I was like, 8.

The '80s were a completely different time. There was a wall, people wanted freedom, and subtitles were somehow made through an unholy blend of PAL and NTSC camcorders with tapes smuggled out of Japan through unlicensed distributors from the Philippines to almighty Canada. Also Mexico.

Hah, that's crazy, I remember watching fan subs duped by some guy in his basement that for some reason my parents were cool with me visiting when I was like, 8.

The '80s were a completely different time. There was a wall, people wanted freedom, and subtitles were somehow made through an unholy blend of PAL and NTSC camcorders with tapes smuggled out of Japan through unlicensed distributors from the Philippines to almighty Canada. Also Mexico.
Then the 90’s came and we got so deal with iRC bots and RealPlayer…

Then the 90’s came and we got so deal with iRC bots and RealPlayer…

Yeah, things went from "Hey, if you're going to spend all day with your new 'Mike' friend in his basement you need to tell us if you'll be home in time for dinner," to "Hey, I don't care how much time you spent in chat with your new 'MyKE' friend, you're not going hang out with him while he's in town" real quick.

I hate to say it, because I think his stuff is overrated, but Princess Mononoke seemed to have ushered in a kind of renaissance for anime. Good work in multiple languages, real production values on all fronts. We're walking away from that time, too, and I'm starting to think that Netflix adaptations might be a factor in not making quite as good anime.

That along with all the same stuff that's plaguing Western animation, too.

Yeah, things went from "Hey, if you're going to spend all day with your new 'Mike' friend in his basement you need to tell us if you'll be home in time for dinner," to "Hey, I don't care how much time you spent in chat with your new 'MyKE' friend, you're not going hang out with him while he's in town" real quick.

I hate to say it, because I think his stuff is overrated, but Princess Mononoke seemed to have ushered in a kind of renaissance for anime. Good work in multiple languages, real production values on all fronts. We're walking away from that time, too, and I'm starting to think that Netflix adaptations might be a factor in not making quite as good anime.

That along with all the same stuff that's plaguing Western animation, too.
For me that movie was Vampire Hunter D from 1985, which paved the way for Akira to enter the mainstream conscience of Western audiences. Those films had beautifully painted and hand drawn animation. Anime continued to hold my interest through the early 2000s, and then it seemed that Western culture was making more and more of an impact on what the Japanese created as time went on. Anime these days is becoming soulless with more and more reliance on computer animation, both 2D and 3D. I can't stand to watch any of the newer Gundam series because of how utterly generic and lifeless it looks.

This is going to be terrible. So much of Cowboy Beebop was in its animation, those things just don't translate at all to live action.

Anime these days is becoming soulless with more and more reliance on computer animation, both 2D and 3D. I can't stand to watch any of the newer Gundam series because of how utterly generic and lifeless it looks.

And it's not like CG animation can't be done well, either. Futurama set the stage for mainstream 3D animation and it's still one of the best animated series ever. Best ever in general, and I can prove it with two words:

Fry's dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back