Coverting from HDD bottomless pit drives to SSD drives

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
I always wanted to have a slient machine this time I'm going to do it.
I figured I can get by without having to backup my Epic games collection on a
HDD drive simply by renaming the folder before a fresh WIn 10 install on the SSD.

People just panic when they see their SSD drives fill up I bought a 2TB SSD 870 QVO which will hold most of my steam collection
I have about 50-60 games install between all launchers. I did delete some stuff but if SSD prices go down this year I'll pick up a 4TB SSD
I'm only condensing because I have 8 Sata ports and will be down to 6 once again but all of the ASUS Z490 motherboard have 6 Sata ports except for like 2 of them which are really expensive and one is a Extended ATX. I could of bought the Taichi Z490 motherboard but I really wanted to go back to ASUS an I saved a 150.00 by not buying it. I did consider buying a Sata port extender used in the PCI slot but I read something about frying the MB and that is the last thing I need is a cheap thing from China just wrecking the whole system.

I'm just wound up from work and waiting for my vacation to start after I maybe call in today.
Moving thousands of files around that I might have a emotional attachment to is mind numbing.

I'm just wound up from work and waiting for my vacation to start after I maybe call in today.
Moving thousands of files around that I might have a emotional attachment to is mind numbing.
That's why you copy first and then delete the files off the old location after running a verify operation and after running a full backup of the files in the new location.

Example of a file that didn't make the cut.

Attachments

• fzMXYjbfrO_L93svfaTbQ79EEvb8cTR3P5W7nWjpLvc.png
    fzMXYjbfrO_L93svfaTbQ79EEvb8cTR3P5W7nWjpLvc.png
    688.2 KB · Views: 0
SSD are not going to beat HDD for mass storage any time soon. Just buy a decent 5400rpm drive and make sure it's isolated and protected from vibrations. Rubber bands and silicone pads work well. For half for price of my (fast) SSD, I have a 5400 rpm 8TB HDD drive for mass storage and it's very quiet.

You'll also have to work on reducing noise levels from your GPU, CPU and power supply, identify and stop/dampen any unecessary vibrations, avoid having any fans above 1000 rpm while still ensuring proper airflow and so on. Building an "almost silent" system can be quite challenging but fun. Good luck.

Back