Court Upholds FCC’s Net Neutrality Rules

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler has released a statement on the DC Circuit court's decision to uphold the FCC’s Open Internet rules. I wouldn't celebrate just yet, in a separate statement, AT&T has made it clear that it is taking this case all the way to the Supreme Court.

Today’s ruling is a victory for consumers and innovators who deserve unfettered access to the entire web, and it ensures the internet remains a platform for unparalleled innovation, free expression and economic growth. After a decade of debate and legal battles, today’s ruling affirms the Commission’s ability to enforce the strongest possible internet protections – both on fixed and mobile networks – that will ensure the internet remains open, now and in the future.

With the SCOTUS as it stands, AT&T is just throwing money down the toilet. They'll either split 4-4 which leaves the lower courts ruling in place, or just refuse to take it thus leaving the lower ruling in place. Either way, this fight is over.

Hopefully AT&T will be found in contempt and the whole company will be imprisoned and all their hardware dismantled and sold off for scrap.

The thing is that since the court is split 4-4 and the ruling came from the DC Court of appeals is that the ruling will stand NATIONWIDE, not just in a certain region.

Even though folks say the court is 4-4, that is just the party of the appointing President. Several decisions since Scalia's death have been other then 4-4. I think there have been a few 8-0. If they decline to take the appeal, the issue is settled until Congress can get a bill passed. There are times gridlock can be a good thing.

This is the same Supreme Court that ruled in favor of Citizens United, If they think it's ok to open the floodgates to virtually unlimited corporate bribery in elections, frankly I would not put it past them to rule in favor of AT&T.

Supreme Court Justices are "appointed" by bought and paid for President's and confirmed by a equally corrupt and paid off Congress. If you think these Judges are above big money influence you are naive or willfully ignorant. Lifelong federal "appointments" is a terrible practice IMO. I strongly believe ALL federal and state public offices should be voted into office by the people with term limits.

I don't think the SCOTUS would split 4-4 on this issue. I'm thinking Roberts would vote uphold it.

Donald Trump is on record as saying he would do away with Net Neutrality. Figures. Let's just hope that the internet remains open.

A free and open internet is a very powerful tool. There are a lot of people with a lot of money trying to take that away and or limit it.

This is the same Supreme Court that ruled in favor of Citizens United, If they think it's ok to open the floodgates to virtually unlimited corporate bribery in elections, frankly I would not put it past them to rule in favor of AT&T.

Supreme Court Justices are "appointed" by bought and paid for President's and confirmed by a equally corrupt and paid off Congress. If you think these Judges are above big money influence you are naive or willfully ignorant. Lifelong federal "appointments" is a terrible practice IMO. I strongly believe ALL federal and state public offices should be voted into office by the people with term limits.

This!!!

A few points:

(1) This will not make it to SCOTUS. There's no new ground broken here; no federal laws were struck down; and there isn't a circuit split. It's textbook Chevron deference.

(2) Even if SCOTUS took it, it wouldn't go 4-4. Scalia almost always fell on the side of the government in deferring to agency interpretation, and Roberts and Kennedy likewise fall on that side. Most of the administrative law cases at SCOTUS the last few years have ended up something like 6-3 or 7-2 for the government.

(3) Expect Congress to step in soon, regardless of who wins the next election. Agencies trying to make 21st-century technology fit into 20th-century law rarely works.

I hope we can have internet as good as a real first world country someday!

(3) Expect Congress to step in soon, regardless of who wins the next election. Agencies trying to make 21st-century technology fit into 20th-century law rarely works.

I totally agree with your first two points. And you may be right about this one. However, any congressperson on either side of the aisle that appears to be fighting for AT&T or Version or Comcast or Spectrum had better tread VERY lightly. I think generally net neutrality is popular and I know telecom companies are anything but.

The Citizens United decision was a just one, even though it upsets the liberals because they want the liberal mainstream press to have a monopoly on political speech come election time. Besides, I thought the liberals support corporations now that they've all jumped aboard the LGBTQPP bandwagon, firing employees who think marriage requires one husband with one wife and forcing others to attend brainwashing sessions under the "sensitivity training" euphemism. There's just no pleasing some people.

The Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler has released a statement on the DC Circuit court's decision to uphold the FCC’s Open Internet rules. I wouldn't celebrate just yet, in a separate statement, AT&T has made it clear that it is taking this case all the way to the Supreme Court.

Today’s ruling is a victory for consumers and innovators who deserve unfettered access to the entire web, and it ensures the internet remains a platform for unparalleled innovation, free expression and economic growth. After a decade of debate and legal battles, today’s ruling affirms the Commission’s ability to enforce the strongest possible internet protections – both on fixed and mobile networks – that will ensure the internet remains open, now and in the future.
They'll never give up.. First they very government money to setup networks. Then monopolisc regional control, charge whatever they want, then restrict it and charge more. Internet providers sicken me

That sounds great in theory, but you'd have even more direct influence from special interests if justices were elected and had to take campaign contributions. I'd get on board with this if we had publicly funded elections (no outside money).

"victory for consumers"...hahahahaha

note to "net neutrality" boneheads...this bill makes the internet a "public utility" under FCC control , ending private innovation and competition and new invention , and a tax (uuuhm... er... user fee) , likely to be about 25%, like your other utilities have.

you have been duped by your leftist Sandinista handlers and you brought it upon yourselves and it will be fun to listen to you cry in the years to come...hahaha

Last edited:
Donald Trump is on record as saying he would do away with Net Neutrality. Figures. Let's just hope that the internet remains open.

A free and open internet is a very powerful tool. There are a lot of people with a lot of money trying to take that away and or limit it.

hahaha...sorry Clintonista...this bill effectively CLOSES the internet under FCC control!...enjoy your new gubment controlled internet!

Back