Court Overturns Judge’s Order Barring Uber & Lyft In Philadelphia

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Uber and Lyft are finally getting some good news from the courts for a change today. This is only a temporary 90 day reprieve from the restraining order, so things could go right back to the way the were in three months.

Uber filed an emergency petition with a Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court seeking a temporary restraining order against the Philadelphia Parking Authority, the agency that regulates taxi services within Philly city limits. While ridesharing services have authority to operate elsewhere in Pennsylvania, they have yet to reach a deal with the PPA that would let UberX and Lyft drivers pick up passengers in the city. In advance of the Democratic National Convention and in the middle of a regional rail crisis, state legislators passed a bill that authorized a 90-day truce.

Before Uber and Lyft; the cabs in Philthadelphia were atrocious. Dirty, un-air conditioned, and unsafe with an often added bonus of HORRIBLE drivers. After Uber and Lyft; new cabs started appearing; air conditioning actually worked; cabbies actually stopped to pick you up; and the cars were actually better maintained. Uber and Lyft rates started to drop. Oh my stars, competition actually improved the situation for the consumer. Well being the prototypical political cesspool that it is, rather then continue with this... they attempt to surpress the competition at the expense of the consumers because: "Phuck them."

Sometimes the system has to admit a no-brainer. Now if only Uber would pick up their dirver screening game. That being said, I take Uber all over the country for work and the rare time I've had a poor experience; they were all over the issue and resolved it to my satisfaction in short order. That NEVER happened with a cab company.

Now Philly drivers get to learn how much of a ripoff it is to be an Uber driver.

Back